Thoughts on Urban Fantasy’s current popularity in YA?

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I’m writing a YA novel that is an urban fantasy involving many different kinds of magical peoples, particularly the Fey. I think my book would appeal to fans of Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, and Laini Taylor.

I’m in my second draft and it’s coming along pretty well so I’ve started researching agents for the query process. I’ve noticed a lot of agents do not seem interested in Urban Fantasy or specifically state NO FEY in their MSWLs. Is fairy mythology and UF in a similar state to vampires? Do you think I’ll run into trouble with people finding it an “overdone” topic? I know anything will be considered if it’s good and interesting enough, but I’m just wondering if I’m going to be met with initial hesistance from most agents.

Thanks in advance!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you're seeing agents that specify they don't want this, their lists may be glutted with it, not the market. However, the market is cyclical. If it's out now, it may be in again in a few years. Since it takes years to get from agent to published book, just submit to anyone who is accepting this type of manuscript now. If you get no takers this time around, wait a few years and try again. (All of this assumes you've got a top notch manuscript. For me, a second draft would be far too soon to think about this.)

Last edited:

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! You made some really good points.
I’m definitely far off from being ready to query, but I like to plan ahead and prepare myself. I’m aiming to be done late this year or next year.