Judicious January - 500 words/day writing/editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Comisseration and encouragement to those who've hit obstacles.

I have a new Chapter 1. Not at all sure how I feel about it, but I'll reread it tomorrow. And it's a start.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Since the month is nearly over I'm a bit late to the party. But since it seems there is a similar challenge each month I'll definitely plan to participate in February. I can always use a little extra motivation. As an aside, I'm new to AW so I'd like to say hello to all the other mystery, thriller, and suspense writers here. I'm an indie author and started writing crime fiction about three years ago. Working on the fourth book in a series at the moment. I read many genres, but this is my favorite and what I read the most. I'm always keen to help other crime fiction authors where I can. As an example, I'm a retired police officer so if anyone ever needs a resource for any technical law enforcement questions, hit me up. Take care everyone.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: LARRYD! You can of course wait until February if you want, but feel free to jump in now if you like. We're pretty easygoing about goals around here.

I did a revision pass on my Chapter 1 today. Yes, it took me all day. Yikes. But I like it much better. I'd say it's at about 85% of where I want it to be. I'm considering tossing it to the SYW squirrels when I've had more time with it, but I may try to move on to Chapter 2 first. :D

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
For my first day in Judicious January, I managed 691 words before noon. That completes Chapter 8 of the novel I'm writing at the moment, the first book in a new series. This series will feature a female detective lead, a character I introduced in the last novel of my other series. I may write a bit more before the day is over, but I need to write a blog post and do some social media stuff first. I think participating here is going to be very motivating. I tend to go days without writing and then spending an entire day churning out thousands of words to try to make up for my procrastinating ways. :D So, thanks for having me team.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
1,083 words on my current novel today. That almost completes Chapter 9. I'm quite happy with that since I typically don't write on Sunday. At this rate I should be finished with the first draft well in advance of my self-imposed deadline. As an aside, my protagonist in this series is a female PI from New Zealand. I'm continually bothering my girlfriend, a Kiwi, to help me insert New Zealand unique words and manners of speaking to make the narrative realistic since you can't really give the reader a sense of the New Zealand accent. She's been a good sport about it though. Ha-ha

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Welcome LARRYD and good luck with the novel.

Liz - That's totally cool. :)

1,406 words yesterday and 1,706 words today on Oubliette. I've got 4k left till I hit the halfway point.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Thank you LIZ. Yep, we'll be expecting some production out of you tomorrow. Ha-ha Hope you had a good weekend.

That's awesome Erin. You had a very productive weekend. :hooray: And, thank you for the welcome.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
737 words today on my current project today. It's called Mare's Nest btw. I don't think I've mentioned the title. Thought I'd mention it now because I have a couple of other WIP projects going. So, the others may get some words. When a scene or something occurs to me for one of the others, I tend to drop Mare's Nest and write it down before I forget it. One of the other projects is the fourth novel in my other series. The other is a stand alone novel that I've been working on forever. Hope everyone else had a productive Monday.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Well done Erin

Ohhhh...I like it when it turns dark :D I just took a look at the book description on your website. Sounds interesting. Btw, I tried to subscribe to your list to get your updates, but it doesn't seem to be working.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, LARRYD & Saoirse! :hooray:

I got most of the way through Chapter 2 of Arkhangelsk today. Also rearranged some stuff to make Chapters 3 and 4, although it'll all need some heavy revision.

Looks like my aim of paring 5 chapters down to 3 is going to end up paring 5 chapters down to 4...but there's a lot more happening within the chapters, so hopefully it'll be tighter.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Awesome LIZ

Sounds like you got a lot done today and made some great progress. Well done! :snoopy:

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
1,712 words today on my untitled dark thriller project. I was planning to write a little on Mare's Nest too, but I'm sort of at a fork in the road as far as the plot and haven't decided yet which way I'll go. Perhaps the road less traveled by? :D Hope everyone had a productive Tuesday.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have made revision notes on the first four chapters and can I just say I HATE EVERY SINGLE WORD OF IT ARGH :gaah and I'll try to do some transcription tonight and maybe I'll hate it less tomorrow.

Last edited:

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Aww...sorry LIZ :cry:

I hate it when that happens. Usually happens to me when I try writing or revising too late at night. I go to bed thinking it looks pretty good. Then when I pick it up the next day it's awful. However, I have every confidence you will right the ship. Go LIZ! :D

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Larry, nice wordage, and hugs on being stuck. Hopefully things will shake loose.

Liz - Hugs. I go through that a lot myself. I am confident you will make it even better.

311 words on Oubliette so far today. Might be it. Might not be. We shall see.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Good on you Erin

Thanks, just a decision point that's all. I suppose I could follow Yogi Berra's advice: "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." :D