Judicious January - 500 words/day writing/editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Judicious, because we're all going to be so sensible, right? Right??

<crickets>

Nah, y'all are right, sensible is overrated.

How was December? Did you meet your goals? Did you get sidetracked? Feel free to recap all of 2017 if you like!

What's on deck for January? Do you have some annual goals you'd like to share as well? What can we do to support you?

Happy New Year, everybody. Let's do this thing.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm in for January - I met my December goal, which was to get ready for this month, so I have no excuses. This month's target is to finish the first draft. I think that will take around 50,000 words. If I make it, it will be the most I've ever written in such a short time.

I'll be checking in every day to cheer on everyone's progress. Let's make this a great start to 2018!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I planned on writing a whole lot of words in December, but only managed about 3k due to Christmas, exhaustion, and eye pain. :( I am glad for what I got.

This month I'm getting edits back on Fireborn, and that's the priority. Would love to get more words on my current WIPs too. And hopefully I will get my last two betas back on the secret project so I can maybe start processing everything.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So 2017 sucked in general.

December wasn't bad, though; I did get two blog posts up and a bunch of revisions done, although I didn't quite get through the first third of the WIP.

I also got beta feedback on the other book, which was very useful.

So for January:

- More revisions of the WIP.
- Some strategizing on the beta book, and possibly revisions there, too. (I have some plot nuances to work out, so I don't know how much actual revising I'll get to this month.)
- Maybe get my act together and start a newsletter.

And for 2018 in general:

- Stop thinking about 2017. :D

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - Those are good goals.

OSG - 389 words is better than nothing. ;)

Nothing for me last night. I was exhausted and didn't feel up to it. But today's a new day!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, osg! Excellent word count! :e2cheer:

Congrats on the first words of the year, Saoirse! :partyguy:

I've written maybe 2K in the last few days? I haven't been keeping track. Not so many today because I went to the doctor's office to get an x-ray and a splint for my hand (no break, but a nasty sprain). That makes for a decent excuse, I guess.

Tomorrow there's supposed to be a big whack of snow. If we don't lose power, I will have no excuse not to have written all the words.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I managed 2,889 words today. Pleased with that. :)

You are making the rest of us look bad awesome!

Between moving some words around and adding a pack of new ones, I got through another 2,885 words today, and finally got through the first third! Yay!

I may try to keep working tonight, this time on Other Book. Beta notes were awesome, and I know where I want to take it, but it's going to require some planning. I want to outline what I have now first, in some detail, which I figure will take me a few days.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, Friday wasn't such a hot day for me - I am learning that being at home to write doesn't mean you can stay up as late as you like without penalty. Almost like, I dunno, any other job. Hmm...:D Anyway, I managed 1,113 in the afternoon, so not a complete wipeout.

Sorry about the pain, Saoirse. Good on ya for getting some words in spite of it :)

Liz, you mean you'll have to outline? :e2thud:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - Glad you got some good words in. I know, you think you don't need to be up for work, so you'll just stay up a bit later and then morning comes and you really don't feel so great. Been through that, more times than I can count. Just this morning, in fact. ;) Hope you feel better.

Yesterday was a bit of a wash. 148 words on Oubliette. I just wasn't motivated, and I was in some pain, so...yeah. Today will be better.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Checking in before the big server move (I still have no idea about US time zones, I figger it'll all happen while I'm asleep this side of the pond).

1,544 today. Frustrating going, kept getting sidetracked and finding holes in my outline, plus my PC decided to hang twice and then to install a bunch of updates when it restarted. Fortunately I didn't lose any words but still a pain in the behind.

Hope you all had a better day :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hugs on the frustration, OSG.

We're back! :snoopy:995 words on Oubliette. I've switched projects. Hoping to get more done.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I just want to say I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE ALL OF YOU AGAIN.

I have started working on the beta book. Spent the day outlining the new opening, making general plot notes, and going over the old opening to see what I could reuse. Goal for tomorrow will be to create a new Chapter 1.

This may be overly ambitious.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Ohmygodohmygod we're baaaaaaaaaaaaaack

I am right at the end of the story, now. I still need to write the first 25% after this, so I'm not actually done when I hit "the end", but if I keep going at my current pace I will hit those magic words this week. Maybe tomorrow. Eek.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I am so happy to see you guys again too!

Liz - Good luck with your new Chapter 1.

OSG - Awesome! Doesn't it feel good to be almost done?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, osg! :e2cheer:

And excellent on Oubliette, Saoirse! :hooray:

I'm hacking together a new Chapter 1, and it's already almost 1800 words and it's only about half done and I hate it but I can revise it later. (I may need more than three chapters for this.)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Good work team. I had a rubbishy day yesterday, spent most of the day doing other stuff - that needed to be done, but wasn't writing - so I am a little behind. I should be writing at this very moment, so time to close the site and get on with it!

:)