The 2018 AW Reading Challenge. Now with added breadth and depth.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing you, your son and your family strength and comfort, oneblindmouse.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally made some headway on my second Challenge: finished The Ladies of Grace Adieu (which I loved) and am closing in on the end of The World Without Us (which is slow-ish but interesting). Stalled out on Medieval Children.

At this rate I doubt I'll finish before the end of the year, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Who was that, again?

[x] 1. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
[ ] 2. The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered by Laura Auricchio
[ ] 3. In A Patch of Fireweed by Bernd Heinrich

You might also like:

[x] 1. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
[ ] 2. Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell
[ ] 3. I Am Abraham: A Novel of Lincoln and the Civil War by Jerome Charyn

Bits and pieces

[ ] 1. Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror: Poems by John Ashbery
[x] 2. The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susannah Clarke
[ ] 3. The Woman Who Married A Cloud: The Collected Short Stories by Jonathan Carroll

Just the facts, Ma'am

[ ] 1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
[ ] 2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
[ ] 3. Into the Storm: Two Ships, A Deadly Hurricane and An Epic Battle for Survival by Tristram Korten

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about that, oneblindmouse! I hope all goes well and I'll be thinking of you all.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sympathies, oneblindmouse. It's hard to see a child (even if they are technically an adult now) sick and suffering and not knowing what will happen.

I finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (I had to look up the title, because I kept referring to it as The Incredibly True Diary of a Part-Time Indian) and I'm sort of torn. On the one hand, it was very readable, denser than it looked, and a sort of mythic coming of age journey spanning one freshman year in high school; but on the other, it came across as sort of belligerent and perhaps reflective on the criticisms against Sherman Alexie for sexual harassment. It was a confusing book for me. I enjoyed it and may read it again, but that's because I know the area and have a few Native American friends. I think it helped me understand them better. It also made me wonder if the author would as lauded if he did not write about the subject matter that he does, which is a peek for white people into a very private and guarded world which contains a lot of pain and trauma. I don't know. In the end, I found it hard to separate the author from the art. I wouldn't want to be that kind of writer that mines their own tragedies.

The book was short, and I had subbed it for a Neal Stephenson book I felt was too long, so I thought I'd take up the slack with the short novel Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire, under the impression she was also a local author, as a two-for-one deal. Well, she wasn't, so it looks like I may just do the Stephenson book anyway as an extra credit!

For now, I'm going to read a book of Zombie stories put together by one of my publishers.

1. Get on with it already: A book that’s been on your TBR (to be read) list for over a year. Hermetech, by Storm Constantine
DONE ****

2. Freebies: A book you (legally) obtained without paying for. The One Gold Slave, by Christian Kennedy (A giveaway from the author)
DONE

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. City of Fortune, by Roger Crowley (a history of Venice)
DONE

4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Where Wizards Stay Up Late, by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon (about the creation of the Internet) DONE ** 1/2

5. My hometown: A book by a local author. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie DONE ****

8. Bits and pieces: An anthology (poetry, short stories, whatever). Undead Worlds, A Reanimated Writers Anthology (Zombie stories) READING

24. War is hell: A book about war, on the lines or the homefront, fiction or nonfiction. A Delicate Truth, by John Le Carr

34. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
DONE ****

29. Keep up with the Joneses: A book by someone everyone else seems to have read but you have not. Twilight, by Stephanie Myers
DONE (no stars)

38. Coming to a theater near you: A book made into a major motion picture. Albert Nobbs, by George Moore
DONE

48. The butler might have done it: A mystery. Antiques Swap, by Barbara Allen
DONE ***

49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. The Worm Ouroboros, by E. R. Eddison. That's as High Fantasy as it gets.
DONE *****

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The World Without Us. It was pretty good; it got (understandably) a bit preachy toward the end, but overall I enjoyed it.

I have two non-Challenge books next up on my TBR list (Christopher Skaife's The Ravenmaster, which is not fantasy but a nonfic about the Yeoman Warder who minds the ravens at the Tower of London, and Daisy Johnson's Everything Under, which is currently shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize). I'm thinking of tweaking my list a bit; I don't know what made me think I'd want to read two books about the Marquis de Lafayette in rapid succession.

Who was that, again?

[ ] 2. The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered by Laura Auricchio

You might also like:

Bits and pieces

[ ] 3. The Woman Who Married A Cloud: The Collected Short Stories by Jonathan Carroll

Just the facts, Ma'am

[ ] 1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
[x] 2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
[ ] 3. Into the Storm: Two Ships, A Deadly Hurricane and An Epic Battle for Survival by Tristram Korten

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
On my most recent travels I finished The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clementine Wamariya, subtitled "War and What Comes After." The book opens with her reunion with her parents from Rwanda for the first time since she fled the genocide in the early 90s. The book then alternates between her arrival in the US and events since, and then back to her flight from Rwanda. It's a pretty heavy read, as you can imagine, in that there just isn't a break from one misfortune and hardship to another. She conveys the refugee story with the most effective result it could: making me understand not that she went through, but my inability to understand the entirety of what she went through, and how it affects her in her life afterward. Without putting too fine a point on it, she makes compelling commentary on the West's need for a tragic heroine who can exemplify in one neat package events that are too broad to be comprehended, but also how that one heroine is still just a person who didn't experience anything more or less intense than others did. She also mildly indicts the genocide narrative the Rwandan authorities, the Rwandan populace, and the rest of the world rely on to discuss the massacre as an oversimplification for mass consumption. As far as writing, other war memoirs (such as Dave Eggers' What is the What) are more artful, but the value for me in Wamariya's book is her honest processing on the page of everything that comes after. She is, afterall, just trying to go about her day with not only these experiences but people's expectations of what her experiences mean. It's still a work in progress, as she will continue to grow through her processing.

I'm diverting briefly to some Mark Twain (The Gilded Age, not among his most famous works) before closing out the Challenge with my final title.

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle Done
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman Done
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates Done
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym Done
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter Done
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya Done

The Rwandan genocide is very difficult to read about. I think I'm going to put this book you just finished on my TBR list though. I read "We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families." This one digs very deep into the day to day experiences of the genocide. It might shed some light on the information the character in your book was talking about if you're interested.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Rwandan genocide is very difficult to read about. I think I'm going to put this book you just finished on my TBR list though. I read "We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families." This one digs very deep into the day to day experiences of the genocide. It might shed some light on the information the character in your book was talking about if you're interested.

I heard about that one! It is a heavy topic, and so I might put it on the list, but far enough down that I don't overload myself on that topic. Sometimes, all these people being mean to each other gets to me.

I'm halfway through the final book on my list, The Boys In the Boat. Full review pending :)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, it's not too early to be thinking about Challenge topics you would like to see included in the 2019 Challenge. Post here or PM me. I have a list of about 85 to choose from, but I can always use more.

Feel free as well to suggest a change to the format if you'd like. No harm in switching things up!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Wow. I've been out of this thread a lot longer than I thought, and unfortunately have made no progress since my last post.

Looking at my available time for the rest of the year, I was going to admit defeat. Then I realized I have four books to go here, and four book options for book club, so I think I'll make some replacements rather than tossing in the towel :)

Replacements:
2. Freebies: 1984 by George Orwell (Public Domain in Canada, so I've got a copy from Project Gutenberg)
19. What your great-grandparents read: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (published 1843)
37. Happy days are here again: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (published 1998) (I might be reaching on this one :tongue)
38. Coming to a theater near you: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Done:
1. Get on with it already: American Gods by Neil Gaiman (on the list since 2012)
5. My hometown: The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad by Minister Faust
8. Bits and pieces: You Haven't Changed a Bit, and Other Stories by Astrid Blodgett
15. Still time for more chapters: A Twisted Fate - My Life with Dystonia by Brenda Currey Lewis
25. I’ve met them!: Few and Far by Alison Kydd
31. Just the facts, Ma’am: The Insanity Machine by Kenna McKinnon, with Austin Mardon
43. That old black magic: Dying on Second by E.C. Bell
48. The butler might have done it: The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

Dropped:
2. Freebies: Fire & Ice by Patty Jansen
21. Loose ends: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
35. Doorstoppers: A Perfect Heritage by Penny Vincenzi
36. A real scream: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King​

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I may have to admit defeat on my list. I still have 5 books left and they are pretty long. I've had books come from the library that are on my TBR list and I've been working on painting projects for the upcoming holidays. I'm still trying, but not sure I'll make it through 5 books in 2 months. I started this challenge in the middle of the year, but 2019's challenge will be started at the beginning. New books, new reading goals!

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about that one! It is a heavy topic, and so I might put it on the list, but far enough down that I don't overload myself on that topic. Sometimes, all these people being mean to each other gets to me.

I'm halfway through the final book on my list, The Boys In the Boat. Full review pending :)

It's a very heavy topic and I totally get waiting. It's a tough read, but almost one that I feel is necessary. Look forward to talking about it and hearing what your thoughts are.

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I've been out of this thread a lot longer than I thought, and unfortunately have made no progress since my last post.

Looking at my available time for the rest of the year, I was going to admit defeat. Then I realized I have four books to go here, and four book options for book club, so I think I'll make some replacements rather than tossing in the towel :)

Replacements:
2. Freebies: 1984 by George Orwell (Public Domain in Canada, so I've got a copy from Project Gutenberg)
19. What your great-grandparents read: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (published 1843)
37. Happy days are here again: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (published 1998) (I might be reaching on this one :tongue)

Done:
1. Get on with it already: American Gods by Neil Gaiman (on the list since 2012)
5. My hometown: The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad by Minister Faust
8. Bits and pieces: You Haven't Changed a Bit, and Other Stories by Astrid Blodgett
15. Still time for more chapters: A Twisted Fate - My Life with Dystonia by Brenda Currey Lewis
31. Just the facts, Ma’am: The Insanity Machine by Kenna McKinnon, with Austin Mardon

Dropped:

I think you have some good books on your replacements. Quick reads. The No_One Ladies Detective Agency is fun. 1984 is really good, but a bit terrifying given the times. Have fun!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that's my second challenge for the year finished! The final book was The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. Thank you Brightreamer for recommending it. The book follows the University of Washington eight-oar crew team from their arrival at freshmen year tryouts to their triumphant race at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. I loved how the author sprinkled in the major events of the day amid the everyday life of the rural West during the depression. Usually books focus too much on either the pre-war, or the Depression, or something and you don't get a realistic feel of what things were like. And oof! Life was by no means easy in the "good old days." It's also hard to read about 1930s Germany and appreciate how people felt at the time because we know what was going on behind the scenes and what was going to happen from 1939 onward. But back to the book, I thought Brown's focus on just one of the athletes (Joe Rantz) held the book together, but all of the people Brown examines comes to life and they feel like people I could know. He also has an excellent command of drama, building the tension that makes us doubt the outcome even though we know it.

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown Done
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle Done
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman Done
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates Done
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym Done
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter Done
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya Done

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Verboten: There is no such thing as defeat! Even if someone only completes one book, or even starts, is success. The point is to have fun and push ourselves, even if just a little bit. I'm thinking about topics for 2019, and would like some suggestions.

bdwilson: My favorite line from 1984 is "They let you break the big rules if you follow the little ones." It's actually come in handy a few times. My wife really liked the Ladies' Detective Agency, though I haven't read it.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Chris P!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I mentioned recently that I was thinking about tweaking my list a bit, so I've decided to remove The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered from my first category and shift the Sarah Vowell Lafayette book into its place, and replace the Vowell book in the You might also like category with Daisy Johnson's Everything Under. It was recommended when I was looking for comparables to Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo (and I'm already reading it)..

Who was that, again?

You might also like:

[ ] 2. Everything Under by Daisy Johnson

Bits and pieces

Just the facts, Ma'am

[x] 1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
[] 2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Chris P - Congratulations on finishing, and glad you enjoyed the recommendation! (It was scary, in hindsight, how perfectly Germany fooled the world...) I keep meaning to read more nonfiction by Brown; his Donner Party book, The Indifferent Stars Above, keeps coming up for sale on Kindle.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris P - Congratulations on finishing, and glad you enjoyed the recommendation! (It was scary, in hindsight, how perfectly Germany fooled the world...) I keep meaning to read more nonfiction by Brown; his Donner Party book, The Indifferent Stars Above, keeps coming up for sale on Kindle.

I read it last year. It was excellent.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the book for my challenge: Still time for more chapters (a memoir):

A Stolen Life by Jaycee dugard. A very disturbing but unforgettable memoir of a Californian teenager who was kidnapped (aged 11) and kept in captivity for 18 years by a convicted pedophile on parole for rape. Despite enduring unspeakable fear, degradation, physical and mental abuse, rape and torture, even bearing her captor two children, she emerged eighteen years later a strong woman, thrilled to finally be reunited with her mother and sister, and determined to provide a better life for her two girls. The fact that she can bring herself to write about it, and share publicly her humiliation, speaks volumes for her integrity and resilience, and the excellent therapy she received after liberation, but I was left with many questions. How did her kidnapper’s parole officers fail to investigate him or his home (where his wife was a knowing accomplice of his perverse acts) over eighteen long years? Why did his psychiatrist never treat him for psychosis, when he was clearly psychotic?
All in all, an upsetting book, but extremely interesting from a psychological point of view.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think this replacement plan is going to work :)

Started The Hunger Games last week and finished it over the weekend. It was a pretty quick read and I was pleased to see the movie stayed pretty close, though there were a few details I wished they'd been able to work in, if only to introduce elements that were in this book and turned out to be more important in the later movies.

Moving on to The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

Replacements:

Done:

Dropped:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oneblindmouse: Ouch! May you and your son and all others in your family have what you need through these trying times.

Congrats to Chris on completing the second challenge!

Have completed three non-challenge books since I last posted. May complete a fourth soon. May come in and tell you about my final challenge extra credit book when it's done, but no promises. I've been needing to stay away to get some work done.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am working on the book of zombie short stories. This is quite the challenge for me as I am just not interested in zombies. Zombie movies, zombie video games, zombie dolls, zombie jello shots, whatever. Nevertheless the stories have been entertaining, though half of them could have used a better edit. I particularly liked one about a Roman legion dealing with Gauls and zombies at the same time (in the story they're called "Risen"... a nice pun on the new-fangled Christian faith of the time.)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycee Dugard has a fascinating story! I've not read the book, but I'm sure it's gripping.It amazes me what people can go through without breaking beyond repair.

I started reading Hunger Games, but then I saw the movie. Once I see the movie, it ruins the book because I keep picturing the actors and scenes and can't get into the book. I had forgotten that I'd seen the movie About a Boy until I started rewding the book and Hugh Grant was on every page.

I was a huge fan of zombie movies about 20 years ago. Return of the Living Dead was one of my favorite movies for a long time.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am swapping out my military fic read. I had picked John Le Carre's A Delicate Truth but I'm just not connecting with it. It's his style more than the subject matter. I don't think I would like any books of his. Plus, I keep picturing Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Lorie (I'd watched, and enjoyed, The Night Manager when it came out.)

So am subbing In Pharaoh's Army: Memories of the Lost War, by Tobias Wolff. A memoir of his time in Vietnam.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Everything Under and am ambivalent about it. While I admired the author's skill in juggling multiple first-person narratives (including a gender-fluid character) and her ability to leap back and forth in the timeline of the story, ultimately it just didn't grab me. And I wanted it to grab me. I'd read ten pages and think, okay, this is finally getting up a head of steam - but then it would switch narratives and lose me.

Next up is the Vowell biography of Lafayette.

Who was that, again?

You might also like:

[x] 2. Everything Under by Daisy Johnson

Bits and pieces

Just the facts, Ma'am

[x] 1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
[ ] 2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme