The 2018 AW Reading Challenge. Now with added breadth and depth.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pulitzer prize winners are often like that for me: "What's so great that this book won an award?" They seem to be books that capture the flavor of everyday American life, which I should love, but I find the award winners more often than not either confusing (Beloved) or boring (A Thousand Acres, March), and utterly forgettable (Interpreter of Maladies, A Visit from the Goon Squad, Olive Kitteridge, Gilead). The Color Purple and A Confederacy of Dunces, and To Kill a Mockingbird are the only ones that stick with me (although I've not read all of them, of course).

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my Peekaboo I See You selection: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. Oh. My. God. This is one of the few books I have wanted to start reading again from the beginning as soon as I finished it. There is so much going on, so intricate, I want to see things from the higher level that I didn't see before. The basic plot is that Leonie and her son Jojo are on a road trip to pick up Leonie's boyfriend and father to Jojo and Kayla (a toddler major character) Michael as he's released from Mississippi's notorious Parchman Prison and farm. A deeper family mystery of stuck souls emerges through the narrative of Richie, the ghost of a teen imprisoned with Leonie's father back in the day.

The book alternates between Leonie's, Jojo's and Richie's POVs, which I usually don't like, but worked for me here because it follows the same narrative stream and chronology, rather than using POV as a way to infodump. I found Jojo's voice a little hard to get used to for the first couple shifts. This book is gritty, raw and intense more or less throughout but not to a sickening point. It was very real in its depiction of the poverty-prison cycle, abusive families, and meth culture without being gratuitous.

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. Nefarious, by Antonio Hopson.
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh this is a great challenge! Here's my picks:

1. Get on with it already: A book that’s been on your TBR (to be read) list for over a year: The Galaxy Game by Karen Lord

5. My hometown: A book by a local author: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

8. Bits and pieces: An anthology (poetry, short stories, whatever): Robots vs. Fairies - DONE

13. Three-color mythology: Monstress Series vols 1 & 2

22. No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation): The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

31. Just the facts, Ma’am: Nonfiction on any subject: Isabella: the Warrior Queen by Kirstin Downey

38. Coming to a theater near you: A book made into a major motion picture: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

40. Out of the park on first at-bat: Witchmark by C. L. Polk

41. Run for the border: A book about or taking place in Central or South America: Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry

42. You might also like. . . : Rook by Sharon Cameron

48. The butler might have done it: A mystery: Dangerous Crossing by Rachel Rhys

49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my! A high fantasy: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

I recently just finished up the stories in ROBOTS VS. FAIRIES and it's an excellent anthology featuring two of my favorite creatures. Lots of great stories in there.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the challenge, RecoveringAndroid! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the books you've selected. I think a couple people have Three Body Problem on their lists.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Well, I hope I'm able to finish this. I've just been asked to edit a 900 page and counting opus on my spiritual teacher. I'm hoping to complete the challenge by switching out one of my books to include this behemoth. But I may not be able to complete all my scheduled extra credit, although I'm nearly done with the poetry book.

I'm about halfway through The Dovekeepers and hope to finish it before the opus arrives on my virtual doorstep.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1l) Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman
2) Dream West- David Nevin *COMPLETED*
6) The Hunger for Insanity- Maria Erlenberger (Recommended by member what?)
8) Complete Works- Harlan Ellison (At my local college library!)
12) Force of Habit- Alice Loweecey
13) From Hell- Alan Moore
19) Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas- Frederick Douglas *COMPLETED*
20) The Iceman Cometh- Eugene O’Neill *COMPLETED*
22) Joseph and His Brothers- Thomas Mann
31) The Golden Bough- James George Fraser

I'm still waiting on several books from OpenLibrary, but I think I'm going to go for the Harlan Ellison/Alan Moore next!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Daniel, I'd be interested in your take on Joseph and His Brothers. My mother read it when she was pregnant with me. I seriously considered it for last year's challenge.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, Siri! Editing books is exciting when the subject matter is interesting. I edited an amazing book that explained the housing bubble crash of 2008. I just wish I could remember the author and title (it was a self-pub ebook, so I wasn't able to find it by Googling). I also edited a text book on US water rights laws that was surprisingly engaging. Believe it or not, the US still honors some colonial open-oceans maritime rights laws from the 1600s (the olde tyme quotes driven mine spellchecker crazy). Of course, this book was written before the Waters of the US rule, which changed everything. The perils on non-fic; so much can change so quickly.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Daniel, I'd be interested in your take on Joseph and His Brothers. My mother read it when she was pregnant with me. I seriously considered it for last year's challenge.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Yes! I'm still waiting on it from OpenLibrary-- that and Neverwhere. I've been waiting a LONG time, but they'll be here, hopefully, this coming month!

Believe it or not, the US still honors some colonial open-oceans maritime rights laws from the 1600s (the olde tyme quotes driven mine spellchecker crazy). Of course, this book was written before the Waters of the US rule, which changed everything. The perils on non-fic; so much can change so quickly.

WOAH! That's NUTS!

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks, Chris. I've done beta-reading and editing, and except mostly enjoyed it, so that wasn't the issue. The issue was my timeline. In addition to my still TBR stuff for this challenge, Mr. Siri and I are in the middle of replacing large swaths of flooring, which means things are a mess here. Makes it hard to concentrate when your floors are torn up and the suppliers are calling you at odd hours.

I've been helping the guy edit the chapters as he went along for many years. Fortunately, he has a bunch of other people helping him with this project, and some of those have stepped up to do the final edit and proofreading. What I'll be getting is his last few chapters, the ones I haven't edited already. So that's doable. [Insert icon of turbaned lady wiping sweat from forehead. :)]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Recoveringandroid! The challenge is great fun. What Queen Isabella is your book choice about?

I’ve finally finished my choice for the Just the facts, Ma’am section (non fiction): The Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Sidhartha Muckerjee (2010 Pulitzer Prize winner for non fiction). Spurred on by the fact that one of my closest friends is fighting breast cancer, I read this long detailed account of the battle against cancer, and found it more interesting and easier to understand than I´d feared. This is a fascinating account of the history of surgery, chemotherapy, and more recently, specific targeted drugs that have developed in the wake of the discovery of oncogenes. My overall feeling as I put the book down is that, despite all the hype, frustratingly little progress has ben made in curing cancer, while the chances of developing this devastating illness remain frighteningly high. Overall, a depressing read. Or maybe I´m just feeling depressed as this year has been nothing but illness and death.

[FONT=&quot]1. Happy days are here again: Nutshell by Ian McEwan. DONE [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Coming to a theatre near you: Gone girl by Gillian Flynn. DONE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Just the facts, Ma’am: The Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. DONE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Bits and pieces: Best loved poems by Neil Philip. IN PROGRESS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Locked up: Engleby by Sebastian Faulkes. DONE [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. No hablo: Regards from the dead princess by Kenizé Mourad. DONE [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Namesakes: Sand and Slingbacks by Georgina Newbery[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8.You might also like: House of sand and fog by Andre Dubus III.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Flight of fancy: Spitfire: A Very British love story by John Nichol.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10.Who was that again? Donde nadie te encuentre by Alicia Giménez Bartlett[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. Still time for more chapters: A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. Doorstoppers: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts[/FONT]

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Most of the advances with cancer seem to be about its prevention. Which doesn't help much once a person has it. But can cut down the numbers who get it.

May you have the inner strength to get through this difficult time. May your friend heal.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Siri, for such lovely words. My friend´s diagnosis is going from bad to worse. This is being such a horrible horrible year.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's sad. But also true that the books of each of our lives has an ending. If her time is coming, may she have a safe passage...though I still hope she heals.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Making some headway on the challenge! Still have a lot to read, but I'm not complaining. :)

1. Get on with it already: Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
2. My hometown: Creature of the Bardoons by Jeremy Lee Riley--DONE
3. Bits and pieces: Poems by Emily Dickinson--IN PROGRESS
4. Out of this world: Leviathan Wakes by James E. Corey--IN PROGRESS
5. Still time for more chapters: Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance--DONE
6. War is hell: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
7. No Cliff Notes this time: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
8. Keep up with the Joneses: Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
9. Team Effort: Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child--DONE
10.Just the facts, Ma'am: The Most Human Human by Brian Christian
11. Doorstoppers: The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams
12. Happy days are here again: Fallen Land by Taylor Brown--DONE

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish you and your friend and family strength and peace too, oneblindmouse. Such bad stuff.

Good progress, Verboten! Keep it up.

I'm nearing the halfway point on Barbara Pym's A Glass of Blessings. Oof, this one is slow. What keeps me going is I figured out the theme somewhat early, and paying attention to how she's playing out and what works--and doesn't--about her approach. This is good as the story itself is so far a colossal yawner.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So with five months left in the year (yow - where does the time go?) I'm going to start a second Challenge. This time I'm going for Depth rather than Breadth. Here's my list this far:

Who was that, again?

1. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
2. The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered by Laura Auricchio
3. In A Patch of Fireweed by Bernd Heinrich

You might also like:

1. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
2. Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell
3. I Am Abraham: A Novel of Lincoln and the Civil War by Jerome Charyn

Bits and pieces

1. Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror: Poems by John Ashbery
2. The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susannah Clarke
3. The Woman Who Married A Cloud: The Collected Short Stories by Jonathan Carroll

Just the facts, Ma'am

1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
3. Into the Storm: Two Ships, A Deadly Hurricane and An Epic Battle for Survival by Tristram Korten

I've started two of the books: Medieval Children and Alexander Hamilton. They're both pretty dense and consequently fairly slow going, though interesting.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting choices, Mrsmig! I’ve read lots of Atkinson´s books, and I loved Life after life​.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Looks like you're going for some historical depth, mrsmig.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I read a lot of history and just haven't been in a fiction mood lately (probably because I'm supposed to be working on the 5th book in my fantasy series). A lot of these books have been on my TBR list for a year or more, so I'm actually covering a number of categories here. ;)

Interesting choices, Mrsmig! I’ve read lots of Atkinson´s books, and I loved Life after life​.

The New York Public Library does a thing on Twitter occasionally where you tell them about a book you really enjoyed and they recommend something in a similar vein. I fell in love with George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo and have been searching for another book with a unique storytelling style, and the Atkinson title was one that the NYPL suggested I try.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got Chernow's Hamilton book not long after it came out, never got to it, then gave it away in 2012 when I massively downsized before moving overseas. I could have been one of the cool kids and loved it before everyone else did. My one shot at the vanguard. . . ruined.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got Chernow's Hamilton book not long after it came out, never got to it, then gave it away in 2012 when I massively downsized before moving overseas. I could have been one of the cool kids and loved it before everyone else did. My one shot at the vanguard. . . ruined.

Thus far it's just a bit too glowing for my taste, but I expect once Chernow gets deeper into the adult Hamilton's life, things will get a bit less shiny.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Happy Days selection (written since 1945), A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym, is done. It follows Wilmet as she entertains pursuing her Portuguese teacher, a man she met in Italy some years earlier during the war, who is now successful but of questionable character due to his inability to hold down a job for very long. Sorry folks, but the book isn't about very much more than that. Wilmet's husband Rodney isn't any more interesting, or interested in Wilmet's white-bread dalliances. There is a brief subplot of kleptomania, some C of E priests who might or might not revert to Roman Catholicism, and far too many other minor characters to keep straight without a cheat sheet. I mentioned earlier that this book is a yawner, and unfortunately doesn't redeem itself. I wished she would just have the damned affair and get some action going. The theme of the book seems to center on people fulfilling their "proper" roles as wives, widows, priests, husbands, and war-heroes-turned-Portuguese-instructors, what happens when life pushes people out of those roles, and what happens when people consciously reject the roles entirely out of will or necessity. I was disappointed in Wilmet's choices at the end, as well as Rodney's. This was a substitute I got on the Bookbub cheap for another book by this author (Excellent Women), and perhaps I got what I paid for.

I think I'll head off to Borneo next to escape the conventionality of 1950s English life.

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. Nefarious, by Antonio Hopson.
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym Done
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya