The 2018 AW Reading Challenge. Now with added breadth and depth.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! Enjoy!

I started The Last Wild Men of Borneo, but so far have only had time for the first few pages of the first chapter. Opens strong so far, though.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme

I almost got virtual whiplash reserving this from the library as soon as I saw your post. I have a small collection of these types of books -- cultural Medieval history -- and periodically reread them. I call it "research" but it's so much more than that. It's the real-life root of almost everything I write, so it's like a sort of pilgrimage. :)

As for the challenge, I got another one done: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. The first half was wonderful. It had that elusive quality of being both hilarious and poignant, often at the same time. The second half started a slow decline, as if the story ended long before the narrative did -- to the point that reading it became a chore. I guessed that this absolutely must be his first novel, and sure enough, it was. It went from a deeply personal portrait of one man's grief to an extended After School Special.

Ove himself was the only real character. Nobody else had any depth, being more like authorial puppets -- even the cat who never really acted like a cat. In the end, the book felt like one of those Twilight types that gets promoted into blockbuster status without earning it. I'll probably spend the next hour or two reading reviews. Haha.

Books read: 9/13.

1. Get on with it already: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair DONE
2. Freebies: The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle DONE
8. Bits and pieces: Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories edited by Audrey Niffenegger DONE
11. Vast critical acclaim: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
12. Support the home team: Force of Habit by Alice Loweecey DONE
19. What your great-grandparents read: The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells DONE
21. Loose ends: On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin DONE
22. No hablo: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman DONE
26. No Cliff Notes this time: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
31. Just the facts, Ma’am: The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert DONE
32. Howdy, stranger: My Ántonia by Willa Cather
41. Run for the border: Playing for Their Lives by Eric Booth and Tricia Tunstall DONE
51. Tag, you’re it!: bdwilson picked The Three-body Problem by Cixin Liu

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I almost got virtual whiplash reserving this from the library as soon as I saw your post. I have a small collection of these types of books -- cultural Medieval history -- and periodically reread them. I call it "research" but it's so much more than that. It's the real-life root of almost everything I write, so it's like a sort of pilgrimage. :)

As for the challenge, I got another one done: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. The first half was wonderful. It had that elusive quality of being both hilarious and poignant, often at the same time. The second half started a slow decline, as if the story ended long before the narrative did -- to the point that reading it became a chore. I guessed that this absolutely must be his first novel, and sure enough, it was. It went from a deeply personal portrait of one man's grief to an extended After School Special.

Ove himself was the only real character. Nobody else had any depth, being more like authorial puppets -- even the cat who never really acted like a cat. In the end, the book felt like one of those Twilight types that gets promoted into blockbuster status without earning it. I'll probably spend the next hour or two reading reviews. Haha.

I'm the same way with the medieval history books, for the same reason you are. I've got a shelf full of them.

And I felt the same way you did about A Man Called Ove.

ETA: Whiie I'm enjoying both Medieval Children and Alexander Hamilton, they're big chewy books and I'm feeling the need for something brisker. So I took advantage of a Kindle promotion and picked up both The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Life After Life.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And, finally, I can say I've finished my challenge! Finished Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, my last Doorstopper title, this evening. Just about as good as the first volume, despite some floundering on my part early on (Sanderson doesn't do recaps, nor does he add in-story prompts to remind the reader of events in previous books.) My suggestion would be to reread Book 1, or not have a huge reading gap (as I did) between the two. Only a few quibbles about plot twists and a couple new characters I didn't care for held it back from another solid five-star rating, but overall it's a worthy sequel in a truly grand epic fantasy series. I'm looking forward to Book 3 - hopefully without so big of a gap between parts. First, though, I have some shorter reads to clear from the TBR pile...

Updated list:
Get on with it already: A book that’s been on your TBR (to be read) list for over a year. DONE
+ Illuminated Manuscripts, Janice Anderson - STARTED 2/2, FINISHED 2/3 +
+ Scat, Carl Hiaasen - STARTED 1/16, FINISHED 1/19 +
+ Midnight for Charlie Bone, Jenna Nimmo - STARTED 1/23, FINISHED 1/27 +

Freebies: A book you (legally) obtained without paying for. DONE
+ Writing with Power, Peter Elbow - STARTED 2/27, FINISHED 4/10 +
+ The Girl who Drank the Moon, Kelly Barnhill - STARTED 2/15, FINISHED 2/18 +
+ All Systems Red, Martha Wells - STARTED 4/11, FINISHED 4/12 +

Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. DONE
+ The Black Count, by Tom Reiss - STARTED 2/15, FINISHED 4/6 +
+ The Invention of Nature: Alexander Von Humboldt's New World, Andrea Wulf - STARTED 4/13, FINISHED 5/25 +
+ Ryan Higa's How to Write Good, by Ryan Higa - STARTED 2/18, FINISHED 2/18 +

Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. DONE
+ The Shadow of What Was Lost, James Islington - STARTED 2/19, FINISHED 2/26 +
+ The Grace of Kings, Ken Liu - STARTED 1/8, FINISHED 1/15 +
+ Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson - STARTED 7/6, FINISHED 8/13 +

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Finished The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. It's considered her masterwork, and I understand why: the research and complexity were impressive and with certain (notable) exceptions, she doesn't make the characters too modern. But while I admired most of it, I didn't greatly enjoy it.

It's the story of the fall of Jerusalem and the fallof Masada as told by four women. The problem is that we know all four will get to Masada, and we know two of the four will survive the fall of Masada, andthat means that ordinary narrative tension doesn't work here. At least, not for me.

There were a couple of minor anachronisms late in the (very long) book, which didn't bother me too much. I was more bothered by one of the women having sex outside of marriage without being concerned about getting pregnant. This same character also does something that seems implausible for someone as young as she was at the time.

Anyway, I'm glad to be done with it. Only two more books in my main challenge to go, plus the four extra credits. Life has gotten interesting here – we suddenly decided to replace a bunch of flooring, among other things – but it's possible I'll complete everything...except there's one book I may switch out. (I'll tell you why if I do.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on finishing a tough Challenge, Brightdreamer!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz Brightdreamer! Always an accomplishment.

My wife read A Man Called Ove, and it moved her but really depressed her too. I don't think she finished it.

I have some time on a plane for the next 24 hr, so I can make progress on Last Wild Men of Borneo. The testosterone practically leaps off the page, and I'm not sure I would like many of these people if I met them. A bit too "flowing locks of handsome white man hair amid the simple native folk" for my taste. However, it's serving the Challenge purpose of teaching me about somewhere I know little about.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I recently finished my challenge for Namesakes (by someone with my name): Sand and slingbacks by Georgina Newbery. I only read this because I was amused to come across a secondhand book by an author with my name, so I had no great expectations and was not disappointed. This humourous romantic thriller has one-dimensional characters, an implausible plot, and a surfeit of adverbs, but is a quick unchallenging read while lying in the sun with half a brain. Plot: poor little supermodel on a photo shoot in Syria, cosseted by a wingeing and superficial fashion team whose clothes are described in excessive detail but not their faces, meets poor little rich sheikh suffering existentialist angst about his future. Set amidst scheming Russian arms dealers, million-dollar emeralds, and exotic camel riders, etc., this would be a total waste of reading time if it were not an amusing send off of the fashion industry. [/FONT]
It´s SOOOOOO different to what I usually read! :)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oneblindmouse, light reads like that can either be delightful or torture. I love how you said the clothing was described in great detail but not their faces! I know just what you mean. One writer I followed for years would describe the minutae of dog sledding, mountain climbing, equestrianism, and philosophical debates on the meaning of life in different books, and I sometimes wondered if was exploring new hobbies while he was writing them.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the first book in my second 2018 Challenge: Kate Atkinson's Life After Life. Overall I enjoyed it, although I found myself growing impatient with the construct about midway through the book, during the Eva Braun sequence. Having the main character interact with major historical figures pulled me out of the narrative somehow. Once that sequence was over I was able to get back into the story. Still, it was an interesting read, and made a welcome break from the nonfiction of Medieval Children and Alexander Hamilton.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another one's gone, another one's gone, another one bites the dust. I finished The Last Wild Men of Borneo by Carl Hoffman. It follows the Swiss environmentalist Bruno Manser as he delves into the Borneo wilderness to become one with the local Penan population, then as he helps to organize them against the Malaysian government and timber companies that were rapidly denuding the island. It also follows Michael Palmieri, Vietnam draft dodger turned internationally renowned native arts dealer. My earlier criticism of a macho man white savior vibe partly holds up, tempered by Hoffman identifying and discussing the "Western fantasy" of the purity of local, untouched populations, even as those very populations look to the West as the source of development and a better life, leading from everything to well-meaning but clueless romanticized veneration of all things local to cultural appropriation and exploitation. Besides, that's how it happened; a Swiss expat gone local empowered a largely illiterate and ill-prepared society to stand up for its rights.

I learned a lot about Borneo, waxed nostalgic for the heady days of 1980s environmental activism when I first got turned on to the world, and learned about the antiquities trade. Usually such books inspire me to learn more about the subject, but in this case I'm happy with what I've read already. Well researched, competently written, but an "acknowledge and move on" book.

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. Nefarious, by Antonio Hopson.
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman Done
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym Done
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've started reading Joseph and His Brothers. It's about 1500 pages-- I'll be digging in this week and weekend. I've got 13 days to finish the book. I'll give 'er! :D

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. For real starting "Satanic Verses" today. I've read all kinds of varying reviews about it, so I'm quite curious. I started it a couple months ago, but then got distracted and started reading other things. So, here goes!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel: Oof! 1500 pages! It took me about three months to read War and Peace (which I loved) at 1600, and hat was when I had a lot of bus, laundromat and other time to sit and read. My hat's off to you!

Verboten: I look forward to your take on Satanic Verses. It's been o my list for quite awhile.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sikhs don't take off their hats :), but other than that...good luck to both of you, Daniel and Verboten! Please let us know what you think of the words speeding by your eyes.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, the book that introduced the world to Sherlock Holmes, was a very quick and very surprising read. Holmes has become such a fixture in our culture, and with so many movie and TV adaptations, as well as satirical parodies, and so defines the genre that I had a lot of trouble taking the book seriously. When I tried, I found Holmes himself to be insufferably tedious, and Watson to have all the character of a narcissist's imaginary friend. I was perplexed at how abruptly the mystery was solved at the halfway point, and with so many questions remaining (including a little thing, like, oh, MOTIVE). Then I had full on whiplash as the story jumped back 30 years to the mountains of Utah, where a starving man and a girl are on their last breaths lost in the desert before being rescued by Brigham Young's caravan of Church of Jesus Christ saints on their historic trek to Salt Lake. I found the western part of the book captivating, with some beautiful writing (the description of Lucy reaching adolescence and experiencing her nascent feelings of romance was amazing) that makes me wonder how many of Doyle's talents were hidden under the now-trite Holmesian narrative of the first half. The connection between the narratives became clearer when the murder victims appear as members of the Church, and we follow the story all the way back to England in the then-present day. Holmes reveals how he cracked the case and the murderer tells all in a tale that is much more nuanced than the cozy whodunnit I was expecting. Well done, Mr Doyle!

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. Nefarious, by Antonio Hopson.
4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Columbine, by Dave Cullen Done
18. Peekaboo I see you: A book you saw someone else reading in public. Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward Done
19. What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born. A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle Done
30. Lol random: Go to Gutenberg.org, click “Book Search,” click “Random” and pick any of the books that show up. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton Done
33. Where is that, again?: A book about a place you know little about. The Last Wild Men of Borneo, by Carl Hoffman Done
36. A real scream: A horror novel. The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates
37. Happy days are here again: A book published since 1945. A Glass of Blessings, by Barbara Pym Done
42. You might also like. . . : A book recommended by library or bookstore staff, online or in person. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter
47. I know exactly where that is!: A book taking place in a location you know well. That Kind of Mother, by Rumaan Alam Done
49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. Sky in the Deep, by Adrienne Young Done
50. Like a novel, only real: Creative nonfiction. The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clementine Wamariya[/QUOTE]

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On page 532 of Joseph and His Brothers.

Hmm, it's not as good as I might have hoped. Still, going on!

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

I was captivated when I read it years ago and hadn't yet read much of the Holmes canon. I've heard that Doyle himself tired of Holmes and thus tried to kill him off, but the public wouldn't stand for it. If you're interested in reading more of his work, his historical fiction and shorts are quite good. I recently fell in love with Sir Nigel for its unusual blend of earnest charm and bloody realism. His short stories are excellent, with "Our Midnight Visitor" the pinnacle for me so far. It's not even spec-fic or occult, which makes it an even stronger display of his maturity as a writer.

I'm just grateful that he was so prolific. I've read a lot of his work, but there's still quite a bit left. One thing that surprises me is how much he says he was influenced by Poe when I don't like Poe at all. Where Doyle's work inevitably retains a touch of human warmth, in one way or another, I find Poe entirely devoid of it and therefore largely unreadable.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I own the massive two-volume set of The Annotated Sherlock Holmes and pored over it to the point of exhaustion when I was a teen. Loved the stories then; haven't revisited them in a long time.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I have a complete Sherlock Holmes set too, only not annotated. Read it through decades ago, and once in awhile reread a story. I find the stories usually better than the novels. Didn't care for A Study in Scarlet; didn't see what the fuss about The Hound of the Baskervilles was about.

Of the novels, I did like The Sign of the Four...before I became a Sikh. That novel hangs together better than the others, but he does make some Sikhs out to be blood-thirsty lowlifes. He did that in one or two of the stories also, and one of his horror stories has a dead Sikh man searching for his hand. (Sikhs cremate their dead, so a dead guy searching for his hand in order to find peace in the afterlife makes less than no sense.) I give Conan Doyle credit for including a broader range of society than most of his compatriots did. But.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of the novels, I did like The Sign of the Four...before I became a Sikh. That novel hangs together better than the others, but he does make some Sikhs out to be blood-thirsty lowlifes. He did that in one or two of the stories also, and one of his horror stories has a dead Sikh man searching for his hand. (Sikhs cremate their dead, so a dead guy searching for his hand in order to find peace in the afterlife makes less than no sense.) I give Conan Doyle credit for including a broader range of society than most of his compatriots did. But.

I was caught by this too in his depiction of the Latter Day Saints in Utah. The movement was still pretty new and controversial at that time, with the trek to Utah only 40 years previous to publishing A Study in Scarlet. I was intrigued that he chose a marginalized population to depict. However, he portrays the church members as very cultish and militaristic. It all had a very "broad brushstroke" feel to it, and more than a hint of stereotype that would likely have not held up to examination. As a writer, I sometimes too feel a qualm about depicting enough characteristics of a character to identify them as belonging to a particular group without drifting into stereotype.