The 2018 AW Reading Challenge. Now with added breadth and depth.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished up Octopus! The Most Mysterious Creature in the Sea, by Katherine Harmon Courage. Not a bad book, I definitely learned a lot about octopuses (not octopi) but a little too colloquial for my taste. I did like that alongside the natural history, there was also a culinary history. I'd say it was a good introduction for the layman but I would have liked something more along the lines of She Has Her Mother's Laugh, the excellent history of genealogy I read a few months ago.

And that finishes up this years' selections for me.

1. Get on with it already: A book that’s been on your TBR (to be read) list for over a year. Hermetech, by Storm Constantine
DONE ****

2. Freebies: A book you (legally) obtained without paying for. The One Gold Slave, by Christian Kennedy (A giveaway from the author)
DONE

3. Setting sail: A book taking place mostly or all on water. City of Fortune, by Roger Crowley (a history of Venice)
DONE

4. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. Where Wizards Stay Up Late, by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon (about the creation of the Internet) DONE ** 1/2

5. My hometown: A book by a local author. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie DONE ****

8. Bits and pieces: An anthology (poetry, short stories, whatever). Undead Worlds, A Reanimated Writers Anthology (Zombie stories) CANCELLED

24. War is hell: A book about war, on the lines or the homefront, fiction or nonfiction. In Pharaoh's Army, by Tobias Wolff DONE ** 1/2

34. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
DONE ****

29. Keep up with the Joneses: A book by someone everyone else seems to have read but you have not. Twilight, by Stephanie Myers
DONE (no stars)

38. Coming to a theater near you: A book made into a major motion picture. Albert Nobbs, by George Moore
DONE

48. The butler might have done it: A mystery. Antiques Swap, by Barbara Allen
DONE ***

49. Pixies and Dryads and Elves, oh my!: A high fantasy. The Worm Ouroboros, by E. R. Eddison. That's as High Fantasy as it gets.
DONE *****

31. EXTRA CREDIT: Octopus! The Most Mysterious Creature in the Sea, by Katherine Harmon Courage DONE ***

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great job on finishing, Cobalt Jade! I know very little about our eight legged friends from the sea. I know I've eaten one but I can't really recall what they are like.

Next Challenge in just over a week, folks! Still time to suggest ideas. :)

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to the new challenge! Can I request that the category "I Know Them" be included again? It inspired me to finally order a novel by someone I used to know back in the day, who has had fairly recent and fancy fuss about her books. I was always impressed by her short pieces, so I have not been surprised by this.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tweaking next year's list a little bit. Question: Would "fanfic" cover both officially sanctioned and unofficial works taking place in the previous author's world or using her/his characters? I don't read much of this type so I'm not entirely clear on the definitions.

EDIT: yesandno, got your request! It's there.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tweaking next year's list a little bit. Question: Would "fanfic" cover both officially sanctioned and unofficial works taking place in the previous author's world or using her/his characters? I don't read much of this type some I'm not entirely clear on the definitions.

Kinda, but kinda not, in terms of official (and legal) definitions. There's an FAQ on Fanfic.

While I'm personally in favor of writing in someone else's fictive world, there are some potential legal issues for AW in terms of discussing or even linking to fanfic.

Media tie-ins, where a publisher has hired a writer to write in someone else's universe, and paid a license fee are different.

So are works based on the public domain work of another writer, like the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes novels of Laurie R. King, or Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea (inspired by Bronte's Jane Eyre).

Short answer, read fanfic, but please don't link to specific works or discuss them on AW. It causes lots of headaches.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda, but kinda not, in terms of official (and legal) definitions. There's an FAQ on Fanfic.

While I'm personally in favor of writing in someone else's fictive world, there are some potential legal issues for AW in terms of discussing or even linking to fanfic.

Media tie-ins, where a publisher has hired a writer to write in someone else's universe, and paid a license fee are different.

So are works based on the public domain work of another writer, like the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes novels of Laurie R. King, or Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea (inspired by Bronte's Jane Eyre).

Short answer, read fanfic, but please don't link to specific works or discuss them on AW. It causes lots of headaches.

Wow, that all makes sense once you know it. Thanks for the guidance!

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to the new challenges and being able to start at the beginning of the year with all of you guys this time around!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the shipwreck book. It was interesting enough, but in the beginning, the author bopped back and forth between past tense (when recounting the actual events) and present tense (when describing someone's appearance). It was disorienting, and also a clear indicator as to who survived - those who didn't were described in past tense. I've read a fair number of these "disaster at sea" nonfics, and there was nothing particularly outstanding about this one.

With only five days left in the year, I'm not going to tackle another book on this second Challenge list. I was gifted with a bunch of new books for Christmas, and am dying to jump into those instead. Looking forward to ways to fit them into the 2019 Challenge categories!

Chris P, thanks once again your hard work in organizing the annual Challenge!

Who was that, again?

[x] 1. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
[x] 2. Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell
[ ] 3. In A Patch of Fireweed by Bernd Heinrich

You might also like:

[x] 1. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
[x] 2. Everything Under by Daisy Johnson
[ ] 3. I Am Abraham: A Novel of Lincoln and the Civil War by Jerome Charyn

Bits and pieces

[ ] 1. Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror: Poems by John Ashbery
[x] 2. The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susannah Clarke
[ ] 3. The Woman Who Married A Cloud: The Collected Short Stories by Jonathan Carroll

Just the facts, Ma'am

[x] 1. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
[ ] 2. Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
[x] 3. Into the Storm: Two Ships, A Deadly Hurricane and An Epic Battle for Survival by Tristram Korten

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for participating! Having some challenge buddies helps keep me motivated.

Also, in case anyone is interested, Lakey is conducting a short story challenge as well, as posted in this thread. I plan on participating in both. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I won't be completing The Light Between Oceans this year. I did start it, but got siderailed by other books, etc. For what little report I can give: I love the very beautiful prose. I can almost smell the salt brine. But I'm not the ideal audience for it either. The book hinges on a woman's obsessive longing for children, which I have never had, nor have I had children. In fact, for years, I thought of having children as something akin to death and taxes for women (lots of work and the men get the credit). That may be why I've balked on reading it.

I did complete the main challenge, four of the five extra credits I assigned myself, and eight other books, for a total of 24 books this year. The extra books were mostly mysteries and a couple of books I wanted to read to make space on the bookshelves.

Here's What I Did Read:

3 by Alice Hoffman
Faithful Done
The Probable Future Done
The Dovekeepers Done

3 Get on with it Already!
Lila by Marilynne Robinson Done
Jazz by Toni Morrison Done
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton Done

3 Like a Novel, Only Real
Vita Nuova by Dante Alighieri Done
Balancing Heaven and Earth by Robert A. Johnson with Jerry M. Ruhl Done
Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert Done

3 Categories, 1 Each
God's Mansion Has Many Rooms
Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms: Journeys into the Disappearing Religions of the Middle East by Gerard Russell Done
Upstaged/ /Seasons in the Sun
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare Done
The Butler Might Have Done It
Howdy Stranger: The Caretaker by A.X.Ahmad Switched out for: The Butler Might Have Done It: Superfluous Women by Carola Dunn Done

Scheduled Extra Credit:
Bits & Pieces: The Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke Done
Tag, You're It: The Light Between Oceans Working On
3 by Mary Stewart
Rose Cottage Done
Stormy Petrol Done
Thornyhold Done

Unscheduled Extra Credit:
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle Done
The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank Done
Photo Finish by Ngaio Marsh Done
Death and Letters by Elizabeth Daly Done
Letters to Jenny by Piers Anthony Done
Sand and Foam by Khalil Gibran Done
Death and the Dancing Footman by Ngaio Marsh Done
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit Done

I do not expect to do the challenge next year. I'm the person who gave Chris the suggestion about the challenge in pairs, and if I do a challenge, that will be what I do. However, I need to stay flexible next year. I've been visited with inspiration for a family saga historical I've been toying with for years, and in the process of doing research discovered the high school required reading list for my time and place. I'll be starting that research and probably outlining etc., as well as working on my current wip (which I hope to finish next year), plus doing some of the reading I wanted to do this year, but didn't get to.

I've enjoyed my time here. Have a happy 2019!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siri, I thought the book was vividly written too, and every day was a sunny day on embankments looking over the sea with the lighthouse standing tall and bright against the deep blue sky. Funny how you smelled the ocean, while I saw the land. But then again, I'm a land lubber who didn't see the ocean until he was 30, and I'm still mystified by it. "Okay, I'm at the ocean. Now what?" I had trouble relating to her desire for children too, and I was more interested in his conflict between doing what was right and keeping harmony at home. I was especially struck in that there were no villains in the book. Even the people they are in conflict with are trying to do the right thing. My wife had trouble with a plot hole, where in the situation on the dinghy, the adult would have been alive and the baby dead. "That's just how those things work."

To quote the Ramones: "Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go/ There'll be a new Book Challenge." Okay, I took some liberties with the second line there. Thank you all for the great books, discussion and ideas this year, and full steam ahead to next year.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ah! I was raised in San Diego within a mile or so of the ocean. One of the few things I miss about the place is that sea breeze smell.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I finished A Christmas Carol before Christmas, but didn't get a chance to come back and post. So, in the end, here's where my challenge landed:

Done:
1. Get on with it already: American Gods by Neil Gaiman (on the list since 2012)
2. Freebies: 1984 by George Orwell (Public Domain in Canada, so I've got a copy from Project Gutenberg)
5. My hometown: The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad by Minister Faust
8. Bits and pieces: You Haven't Changed a Bit, and Other Stories by Astrid Blodgett
15. Still time for more chapters: A Twisted Fate - My Life with Dystonia by Brenda Currey Lewis
19. What your great-grandparents read: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (published 1843)
25. I’ve met them!: Few and Far by Alison Kydd
31. Just the facts, Ma’am: The Insanity Machine by Kenna McKinnon, with Austin Mardon
37. Happy days are here again: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (published 1998)
38. Coming to a theater near you: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
43. That old black magic: Dying on Second by E.C. Bell
48. The butler might have done it: The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

Dropped and Replaced:
2. Freebies: Fire & Ice by Patty Jansen
21. Loose ends: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
35. Doorstoppers: A Perfect Heritage by Penny Vincenzi
36. A real scream: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King