Happy New Year, you lot.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

(I didn't miss 'em, I promise!)
Of course you didn't. You're one of our lot. I was acksherly in Sydders and walked all the way down to the harbour just to get lost in the crowds and then left at 11:30 and went up to Chinatown for a late dinner while all the noise happened. It was amazing. A lovely crowd and just one racist dickhead who got roundly ignored and almost stepped on by a horse. (We had horses as well as fireworks and Chinatown.)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
That sounds awesome, apart from the crowds.

Pity the horse didn't have better aim.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back atcha.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you didn't. You're one of our lot. I was acksherly in Sydders and walked all the way down to the harbour just to get lost in the crowds and then left at 11:30 and went up to Chinatown for a late dinner while all the noise happened. It was amazing. A lovely crowd and just one racist dickhead who got roundly ignored and almost stepped on by a horse. (We had horses as well as fireworks and Chinatown.)
You didn't line up then? Went to the city about midday and the line to get into the Domain was about 3 km long. Yeah no. Number of portaloos guaranteed to be inadequate​.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't line up then?
I did not do that. I swapped houses with my kids and wandered down when the mood took me. Let me know if you're planning on the portalooqueue next year - we'll plan something better.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I have 51 mins to go as at writing!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
And it's 11 mins into 2018! Happy New Year! Hahahahah!

happy-new-year-2018-quotes_zpsd9ert3ig.jpg

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Let me know how 2018 is so far and I'll decide whether to join y'all in about fourteen(ish) hours.

'Tis sleepy, but good, content, and happy. (I'm also highly amused, 'cos a kitty was sleeping on a stool and rolled off. Again.)

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year, sixteen-hours-ahead-of-me folks! Looks like I'd miss fireworks regardless, as the weather is so bitter cold here, the powers-that-be have cancelled them for fear of mass hypothermia.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
the weather is so bitter cold here, the powers-that-be have cancelled them for fear of mass hypothermia.
Same here. Here's a pic of our outdoor thermometer. Minus thirty-six, not including wind chill, which puts it into minus-stupid territory.

36below1.jpg

Happy New Year!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New year to one and all. Let's hope 2018 is filled with lots of writing, lots of joy and lots of time with friends, family, and good books.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We're waiting our turn here.

A thousand blessings on each of you. Have a happy, healthy, prosperous 2018. May peace prevail on earth. May all of us meet our writing goals.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2018 is filled with health and happiness, friends and family........ and productive writing, of course!

:partyguy:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
(We had horses as well as fireworks and Chinatown.)

Firework horses riding through Chinatown? Now that would be awesome...

Let me know how 2018 is so far and I'll decide whether to join y'all in about fourteen(ish) hours.

+1. Could you guys take a peek through your telescopes to see how things look? 'Cause I gotta tell you I'm regretting just blindly jumping aboard this whole 2017 debacle...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just after 7pm here. I have to stay up until midnight to keep the dogs company because they don't do fireworks or thunder well.

Forgive me if I've told or will tell this story more than once. I'm getting to that age.

Back in '78 I spent New Years in Hobart. That was back when everyone in Oz smoked and no one lit off fireworks at midnight. Everyone gave everyone else kisses at midnight. Our friends flashed the light switch off and on to make us feel more like home. So weird, no fireworks, no kaBooms.

And Christmas in the summer with crackers and the Queen's message, also weird.

Somewhere between '78 and 2000, things changed in Oz. Not sure when it happened.

Just before the Millennium, when the New Year was such a big deal across the whole planet, a very observant custom's official uncovered a bomb in the trunk of a man crossing on the Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA ferry. Not to discount the importance of that discovery, and even though it turned out he was headed for LAX (Los Angeles airport), our governor in an abundance of caution cancelled Seattle's Millennium fireworks and celebration.

I watched the fireworks (on TV) and celebrations every hour around the world which included the fireworks display from the Sydney Harbor Bridge well ahead of Seattle. Australia had come of age. :tongue (Just kidding.) Then when it came time for Seattle, we had silence. San francisco and LA had fireworks that rated international TV coverage, but not us. So odd and just a tad ironic. :D

Wishing you all well in the year to come and long after.:partyguy:

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
So far it seems to be something of an improvement....
I guess I'm gonna have to take everyone's word for it; the spouse is breaking out the bubbly and I have to follow him in to keep an eye on him, keep him safe, and all that jazz.

Happy New Year, everyone!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year from a most tardy time zone! :partyguy:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year and every good wish to all my net friends on AW. For the first time in my life I saw the New Year in with a cup of tea. Not on the wagon- I was just so comfortable in my armchair by the fire I couldn't be bothered to look for the bottle. :partyguy: