I know authors don't hire the illustrator but what if you found the perfect artist who's willing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a picture book and it hasn't been published yet.

I walked by some paintings the other day and took down the artist's name. It's the best art I've ever seen. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

I looked him up and emailed him. He's interested in illustrating but how would I go about doing that? Would I have to pay him up front? How can this work?

Reactions: pearlkingstone

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If you're self-publishing, that is fine. I only hired an artist after trying agents and then went the self-publishing route for my first book. If you're sending the book to agents, I would say avoid the extra money, trust the publishing house, and share your vision of the art when asked. They will generally hire their own artists because it fits their own format requirements, not yours. Hope that helps! I love having art done for my books, but it's a real time waster when you could be editing. I would suggest keeping his number to do promotional art later for your author website, posters, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: pearlkingstone

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Note: this thread is from 2017

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a rite of passage, bringing a thread back from the dead. You're not in any trouble, pearlkingstone, unless you make a habit of it.

I'll lock this thread so we don't have further replies. Can I also suggest you visit New Members and introduce yourself? We'd like to get to know you.

Reactions: Sage
Status
Not open for further replies.