The Alphabet Ends At Y

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Very sad news - she was a terrific writer and an interesting person. I adored Kinsey, especially in the earlier books (she was a pretty kick-ass feminist role model, one of the few in the mainstream - I felt she became a bit more conservative as she got 'older'). On a selfish note, I'm really, really bummed that there'll never be a Z, though I respect her position on ghostwriters. Vale, Sue.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose none of us should be surprised when a person well into their 70s dies, but this one hurts. Grafton was the first mainstream PI novelist I read whose MC was a woman--and not some super-woman unlike the real women I knew, but a flawed human who sometimes messed up, beat herself up over it for a while, then moved on. I wanted to be Kinsey, or at least more like her.

Grafton was a "survivor" of Hollywood and vowed she'd never work with the industry again, so her refusal to allow adaptations is unsurprising.

Peace, Ms. Grafton.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose none of us should be surprised when a person well into their 70s dies, but this one hurts. Grafton was the first mainstream PI novelist I read whose MC was a woman--and not some super-woman unlike the real women I knew, but a flawed human who sometimes messed up, beat herself up over it for a while, then moved on. I wanted to be Kinsey, or at least more like her.

^So much this.

I'm not a heavy reader of mystery, but I dip my toes in occasionally and I've loved the Grafton books I've read, and always meant to catch up. I dislike that there's now a finite number ahead, although I absolutely respect why.

A sad loss. :(

Last edited:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I too admired Ms Grafton and am heartbroken at her passing. She gave us so many fine stories. For me, she was a female role model. In some ways the Y part seems rather fitting. We'll be forever in suspense, wondering how she might have ended it. Lucie