• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Can't move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been self-pubbing a fantasy-mystery series for a little while now. I published the last book almost a year ago, and since then I just haven't been able to write anything, not even the next book in the series. I've spent some time thinking about it, and honestly I think the problem is that I made a mistake with the last book. It's not as good as the others and I know it. I published it too soon and it needed at least one more rewrite. Honestly what I want to do is pull the book and rewrite it. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything else unless I do it, but I feel like I can't just take down a book and republish it. Am I just stuck?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No, you're not just stuck. You're worried, and anxious, and that's spilling over and making you listen too much to your own Inner Editor who, fuelled by all your worry and anxiety, is yelling in your ear that you can't write, you've done it all wrong, and you are a hopeless loser.

Your Inner Editor is completely and absolutely wrong, but she's being so noisy you can't see past her.

The best way I've found to silence my own Inner Editor is to focus on self compassion. Sounds ridiculous, but it does work. Look around online for some self compassion meditations. There are loads you can download for free, loads more on YouTube. Spend a few days doing a couple of ten minute self compassion meditations a day, and you'll be amazed how much better you feel, and how much more ready for work you are.

Good luck!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're 100% right about this being an anxiety thing. I can't shake the thought that I've irretrievably ruined my series by publishing that last book. And I'm stuck because I can't abandon my series for something else without feeling guilty but I also feel like it isn't worth continuing the series because it's ruined now. I haven't tried applying self-compassion to my writing but I'll try it.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you self published it why can't you take it down? Or just edit it now and then resubmit it when your done then you can still leave it up. Hopefully someone with experience can answer your question.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think you're 100% right about this being an anxiety thing. I can't shake the thought that I've irretrievably ruined my series by publishing that last book. And I'm stuck because I can't abandon my series for something else without feeling guilty but I also feel like it isn't worth continuing the series because it's ruined now. I haven't tried applying self-compassion to my writing but I'll try it.

I took the liberty of looking your book up on Amazon. Your reviews aren't bad, you know - many of them are very good. I'm sure you're hypersensitive to the less-than-favorable ones, but a lot of people have really enjoyed the book (and no book ever written escapes reviews unscathed).

I know it's hard, but my advice would be to find a way to embrace this book for itself, and love it, if you can. (Some of your readers have loved it!) Stop chewing on it and assuming you've somehow spoiled everything, and see if you can move forward, even just a little bit at a time.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
The suggestions that have been offered all are great. All I would add is to take a break from writing anything. It seems like you've been trying to force creativity. Try reading a book in a genre different than what you usually write. Let your head clear and view a different perspective of story telling. I try to remember to treat writing like finger painting- keep it messy, keep it fun, don't decide what you have until it's done, and remember to wash up before eating. Hope everything works out for you...be happy.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with Crooks. Take a break, indulge in something you like to do. Whenever I feel like my life is falling apart, I take a step back from basically everything and watch my favorite series, Ghost Whisperer. For writing, I normally look over older pieces of work and reword them, tweak at them a bit, trying my hand at submitting for magazines again until I feel ready to do things again. I might read a little too, but that's not my go to.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm rewriting it. And now that I've started, I know it's just what the book needed. I couldn't move on to the fourth book because I felt like a lot of plot/character development wasn't where I wanted it to be. One nice thing about self-pubbing is that you can do stuff like this. I just got caught up in trying to publish quickly and I sacrificed quality. Live and learn.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Woo! I'm glad you're feeling better. I think your gut was telling you something, and from my own experience, you should always listen to the niggle. My only advice would be not to pay attention to what readers say about the rewritten version. You had to do this for your own creative satisfaction, so if this process frees you up for the next book then operation: success.

I've also rushed projects in order to publish quickly, so I feel you there! Everybody works at different speeds. (Or so I keep reminding myself :tongue)

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this is definitely for my own sake. As someone pointed out above, the reviews really aren’t that bad. But I just couldn’t go on to the next book without fixing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.