Number of characters / Character drop-offs

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to get your views/opinions on the number of characters and character spread in my novel. Some context first

- It's about 95,000 words
- Historical Thriller - i.e. many characters were real people in history
- The book is a journey, it does not take place in one location/region, but the MC journeys through regions, encountering different people/dealing with different events

So my stats are these:

Overall 24 mentionable characters in the book (there are a few more but they're in passing)

Type 1: Main characters, appear in most chapters = 4; readers need to know them intimately
Type 2: Important characters, appear in several chapters = 9; readers should remember them - though I provide sufficient continuity (i.e. they don't appear/disappear/reappear after big gaps, and some are well known characters - for e.g. Alexander the Great and Ptolemy)
Type 3: Typically appear in a chapter or two to help move the story, then vanish = 11; readers don't need to remember them

Of these 25 characters, about 10 would be well known characters that people familiar with the time period would already know (so they don't need to learn the names again)

After around 55% of the book, the characters dwindle and the story focuses on a smaller set. That's because the story moves to a narrow "quest"

So - the question is -- too many? appropriate? I read a lot but it's a whole new thing writing your own book! But typical historical fiction / period thrillers tend to have more characters, especially if they're journey based. But still... !

Thank you very much!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
More characters can cause a tangle in some reader's minds - but if you handle it well you should be fine.

My second book had a lot of characters, and were in categories similar to yours. I did have to pay special attention to be sure characters knew what they needed to know when they needed it... and that they didn't receive that information more than once. For me, it presented an organizational challenge. The book is published and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it... but it certainly was a learning experience. My WIP starts out with a lot of characters, but they die off over time. I think I'm doing a better job with the multiple character thing this time.

I hope.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long is a piece of string?

If it's well written and interesting it doesn't matter how many characters there are.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
I think the question here is rather: how do you present it so that these four and these nine characters in categories one and two are the ones that need to be kept in mind. Gimmicks help here I think. Dissimilar names are a given, but also giving peculiar characteristics. I usually have troubles with books that have more than ten named characters if the characters don't have an instantly recognizable thing that the reader is reminded of when the character comes to view or speaks.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. The responses make me sleep better!

@indianroads - thanks for sharing your journey, glad to know it worked out. I have tried hard to keep continuity, or provide enough context within a chapter (without repetition) so the characters are 'self sufficient/contained'.

@TSJohnson - valid point. The way I'm tackling it is the names are not complex, or they have been picked from history. They all come with distinct personailities, traits, and are at different points of time / participate in different events so the hope is the reader won't easily mix A with B.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I get apprehensive if there is a huge roster and all the names start with the same letter - BUT - if the characters are strongly developed, I'll keep reading and enjoy myself.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's that bad, especially if you don't introduce them all at once. Put more empathizes on the people who matter, those first two blocks, then barely even talk about the others. If you don't give them any mind, the reader won't either.

I've added so many characters in my novels who are rarely brought up again. Do you name the unremarkable ones? I'm thinking they're like the baker down the road, the guard who patrols at night, witnesses to a crime who statements are checked and they are never thought of again. Are these the kind of cast players you're talking about?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
If it's well written and interesting it doesn't matter how many characters there are.

^What Bufty said.

I'll add, though, that if you're going to introduce secondary characters that the reader is going to care about and end their part of the story part-way through the novel, you should try to do so in a way that's satisfying to the reader & narrative, to try to avoid the risk of the reader being more interested in your loose end than in your main arc.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
@clovitide - not that minor (e.g. barber) but the type 3's are more focused in a chapter or two. I've also have tried to focus each chapter only on 2-3 characters at most, so there's no character soup.

@zansjan - great point. In most cases there is a logical end to their roles, and in others there is no specific end. However, in those cases, I plan to have a short epilogue or sorts and take it to an end. For example, my book has ptolemy. His role does not end in my book, so I will have a short para on what happens to him (which would be real history). I do provide a clear ending to all my top 4-5 characters.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
There are some great break downs of different novel metrics at the link below, and at related posts at the link.

This guy has written algorithms to analyze all sorts of details in fantasy fiction. Historical thriller is sort - of similar in feel so I bet the numbers are going to be close too. Short answer: sounds like you are squarely in the right ballpark.

Link: http://creativityhacker.ca/2013/07/05/analyzing-dialogue-lengths-in-fantasy-fiction/

Speaking Characters: Another dimension in which these titles varied dramatically was the number of characters who are given speaking roles. This was counted by examining the speech attribution tags themselves. Any dialogue passage that ended with “said Xxxx,” or “Xxxx said” after the closing quote was considered to be a direct dialogue attribution, and if ‘Xxxx’ was capitalized, it was assumed to be attributed to the name of a character. By collecting and counting all of these occurrences, the analysis tool was able to give an approximate count of the characters with speaking roles. Obviously, any character who only ever “whined,” “barked,” “demanded” or even “asked,” but never actually “said” anything, would not be counted. The other cause for imprecision was double counting. No attempt was made to merge attributions for two labels that were in fact the same character. So, Strider and Aragorn, for example, were counted as distinct characters.

Given these caveats, I was nevertheless surprised to see such a broad range of cast sizes in this group. The smallest chorus of characters was found in The Wizard of Earthsea, with only 7 speaking roles, though it is probably no surprise at all that The Lord of the Rings set the bedlam standard with 76 distinct voices. (One day, I’ll have to compare it to A Song of Ice and Fire, just to see who has the larger cast of voices.) The average number across the complete collection was 24 speaking roles, and the median was 18. So my slight concern that Strange Places might have more voiced characters than normal is shown to be completely groundless. (Funny how we can obsess about minutiae, isn’t it?)

Last edited:

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
@Patty - very cool! And it's really interesting that my #'s align pretty well. Now only if my book sold like LOTR :p (a man can dream, can he not?)

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of things jumped out at me:

Type 1: Main characters, appear in most chapters = 4; readers need to know them intimately

Are these POV characters? How do you handle the transitions between their POVs?

After around 55% of the book, the characters dwindle and the story focuses on a smaller set. That's because the story moves to a narrow "quest"

So most of these characters are front loaded? If so, that might create some problems with overwhelming the reader at the beginning.

A good exercise might be thinking about how the story would flow if you didn't actually present the character. Would the story be essentially the same if, say, Alexander and Ptolemy were only talked about?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I think the main thing in any novel is to give the readers an anchor--characters to focus on and follow. This sounds like your 4 main characters. My question would be...who's the protagonist? Even in an ensemble cast, there's one character who the story focuses on, who's story it is. (Like Frodo in LoTR, despite him not being in every scene). That's your primary anchor. How do the other main characters relate to this one? What's everyone's goals, motivation and conflict? This is how you tie the story together.

Other people can weave in and out of the movement of your protagonist and you main characters, and as long as the reader can tie the story to your anchors, you'll be fine. They needn't be in every scene, but every scene needs to tie back to them, if that makes sense?

Anyway, there's no magic formula for how many characters. There's only the writing and pulling the reader into and through the story.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mythmonger,

Answers below. I went all nerdy on my book - some stats below as well.

A couple of things jumped out at me:

Are these POV characters? How do you handle the transitions between their POVs?

>>Type 1's are -- not sure what you mean by handling transitions. I typically use chapter markers, and the chapter begins with the POV characters name, doing something

Here are some stats. As you can see, my MC's POV is the vast majority (~75%). The others are necessary to provide a certain story viewpoint, "In the meanwhile..." events etc.

POV# of Ch.% of Book
MC3974%
EU48%
PD24%
PT24%
NA48%
Oth.24%

So most of these characters are front loaded? If so, that might create some problems with overwhelming the reader at the beginning.

>> Based on my numbers we can say about 70% of the characters are in the first 60% of the book - that's over 300 pages. So the names aren't all rushed at the reader right up front. They get introduced progressively, and the type 3 characters appear/vanish.

A good exercise might be thinking about how the story would flow if you didn't actually present the character. Would the story be essentially the same if, say, Alexander and Ptolemy were only talked about?

>>Given that the MC is already 75% of the POV, I feel the others may offer some refreshing change in the viewpoint/imagery. But there may be an opportunity to cut 1 or 2 POVs, though not sure tbh

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind - You already have the other POVs in our working knowledge. (I know what Henry VIII thinks about things.) I am guessing your MC is fictional and observing/interacting/driving events.

It might be interesting to see other POVs, but it seems you have this particular tool (of other POVs) in your box already because of the genre....

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
One of my big complaints with a lot of recent fiction is that the core cast appear to inhabit a very underpopulated world that consists almost exclusively of themselves and a few nameless functionaries.

That's not what my real world is like, mostly -- I know the names of my close friends and family, who would be core characters of my life story -- but I also know a lot of other people, many by name, who float in and out of my self-story (the people at my current job, the people at each of my previous jobs, the people from all the schools I attended, the people from writers groups and book clubs and listservs), or have important roles in defined sections of my life (the people at the auto shop, the people at my favorite cafes, the cleaners, the furnace guys, the handyman, etc). And I am a pretty extreme introvert with a pretty narrow circle of acquaintance. Most people know lots of people, and deal regularly with even more. The world is well-populated! And because everybody's circle is different, the populated world has messy edges that extent out and out and out.

And a glance at any thorough biography or memoir will show that this has always been true of people who lead interesting lives. Their lives and activities mostly involve interacting with a lot of other people (some more intensely than others, of course). Their worlds are well-populated too. Some of them very densely so.

On the other hand, it seems increasingly common in fiction that there's almost no one there outside the center of the story. The cast is cut down to the barest minimum. This creates a sense of isolation, even claustrophobia. Sometimes this is what the story needs. But sometimes it's just a byproduct of this reluctance to burden readers with the presence of additional characters because the readers, poor dears, may possibly be confused or annoyed to have to notice more than three or four people in the fictional room.

Most of the characters in a well-populated world will not, of course, be POV characters. But that shouldn't erase them from your fiction.

-- signed, a firm believer in big-ass casts of characters

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
@benbenberi - Spot on! Exactly. I did not want to artificially prune characters just because readers don't remember them -- many are relevant within their chapters. Very heartened by all these replies! As a reader, I rarely have issues with # of characters, so long as they are presented logically and have memorable traits.

@patty - You're right. The MC is fictional and drives much of the story. But about 25% of the book is in Non-MCs POV of which some are actual historical figures (particularly Eumenes, Perdiccas, Ptolemy, and Seleucus). I felt that the switch would be refreshing, and allowed me to experiment with a different view point/speech/behavior.

Thanks everyone. Helps me sleep better into the new year ;)

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Game of Thrones has lots of characters are that's phenomenonly popular. As long as characters serve a clear purpose and you don't have too many samey names- Tim and Tom- unless there is a specific reason (like them being twins), you'll be fine.