Whew! (Just sharing ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Smith

Registered
Reaction score
I just stopped writing for the day and my heart's pounding. I want to keep going, but if I stop now, I'll be eager to jump back in tomorrow morning. Plus I need to get to "real" work, though how I'll concentrate is beyond me.

In the middle of the scene where Shea, my MC, meets her father for the first time, at the age of 38. They're meeting for lunch in the Pink House in downtown Savannah and of course she's a bundle of nerves. She considers slipping away from the hostess, finding her way downstairs to the cellar tavern and drinking herself silly, but that wouldn't be proper. She has no choice but to sit down with this stranger and get to know him.
I hope, when I read back over this later, that I was able to capture the tension - I feel it, hopefully the reader will too!

I'm at 36,882 words. The story is playing out at the right pace to conclude at around 85k words, the characters are talking on their own without me having to put words in their mouths, and doing what they want to do, and I can't wait to get started each morning. It feels so damn good!

How are you ladies doing? Have you gotten through the holiday and found time to write? Anything exciting to share?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I love that feeling. I haven't had it for a while, but it's a magical thing when it overtakes you. Hope it carries you all the way through the story, Mrs.Smith! :Hug2:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! I'm going to write today, I'm procrastinating on AW but I will settle in and write.

Mrs.Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Elaine! I hope you find yourself in the thick of excitement soon too! It IS magical!

There are worse things to procrastinate with, Jan. This place is a whole lot better for your creativity than playing solitaire! Hope you got some writing done though!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Elaine! I hope you find yourself in the thick of excitement soon too! It IS magical!

There are worse things to procrastinate with, Jan. This place is a whole lot better for your creativity than playing solitaire! Hope you got some writing done though!

yes...my addiction was candy crush and pinterest. I now seldom do either!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
You're in the flow, Mrs.Smith! Ain't it great? You don't even have to paddle, you just sit back and enjoy the ride. :) It really is a magical feeling, like you're taking dictation and have no idea what's going to come out next.

My holiday WIP has slowed down, but still, I'm topping Chapter 7 and that's not too shabby for someone who's never made it through Chapter 1. I did go back and revise the prologue I posted on SYW, using the helpful recommendations I received there. I turned it into Chapter 1 and did some snipping and clarification. It's getting there!

I've promised myself that I will NOT go back to any of the other books in progress until this one is finished. I have a short attention span, and a very disorderly mind. Which leads me to procrastinating by sticking my nose into all kinds of interesting things that have nothing to do with the work in front of me. I tell myself I can't help it, but really? I can. It just won't be fun. Or easy.

But I want to get somewhere with this. I want to go as far as whatever skill I have will take me. Which means I have to be single-minded and stop goofing off!

:whip:

Mrs.Smith

Registered
Reaction score
How's your willpower holding up MerriTudor? Have you been getting some writing done? What about you Jan74?

I reached 84K words yesterday and intended to get up this morning and write the final chapter. But we went down and spent the evening standing around a fire pit, drinking, with neighbors down the road last night. I drank too much. Without eating anything. I got up this morning, let the dogs out then fed them, made coffee for the SO, made myself a glass of ice water, looked at my laptop sitting there waiting for me, and went back to bed. Got up for the second time a little bit ago, made an egg sandwich and ate it while staring at the screen but can't seem to organize my thoughts. My head hurts, my eyes hurt, and that egg sandwich is sitting like a lump of toxic waste in my stomach. I don't think I can handle the intensity of the first scene in the final chapter. In fact, I'm not sure I can handle the intensity of sitting at this desk much longer. The couch is calling. Maybe I can sleep this off and write this afternoon.

Ugh.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
How's your willpower holding up MerriTudor? Have you been getting some writing done?

Willpower? What willpower?

I've not only fallen off the wagon, I've rolled down an embankment, into a ditch and then crawled into a culvert. Dang! Stalled out on my Victorian holiday romance, and peeping in on my Am Rev prologue, which I promised I WOULD NOT DO.

Trying to rally, and to my credit I did sketch out a romantic skating scene for the Victorian. But also circling around to Chapter One wherein the heroine comes face to face unexpectedly with the hero four years after breakup because I realized the setting just wouldn't work. And also musing on whether having her faint at the sight of him is sorta romantic...or sorta corny. Could go either way.

I hope you're recovering, Mrs.Smith! Sounds like you had a rather nice evening there. But I guess everything has its price! Still, you are on your FINAL CHAPTER! That calls for a drink. Oh. Maybe not just yet. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.