Using A Book PR Firm?

otomo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.flyingsparkscomic.com
I've seen a few of these on the web, and they often look rather expensive. Upon asking if they'll guarantee success, none will of course. But has anyone used something like this and to any success? Or is it mostly a scam? I assume YMMV.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The big PR companies (I'm thinking Midas) are focused on promoting books which have been published by trade publishers, and which have a strong bookshop presence.

Yes, of course they could tailor their activities to suit self publishers. But I have to wonder how effective they'd be.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told a good independent book publicist (i.e., working outside the publishing house) will set an author back $9,000-15,000. I opted not to go that route.

Presumably there are cheaper options. I get many, many, many press releases from publicists promoting self-published books. Some produce polished copy; others offer incoherent releases full of typos. Some personalize; others (many) spam. In general, I would say that if you can write a good, concise blurb for your book and research media outlets online, these people aren't doing anything you can't do yourself.

Fact is, most media outlets will not cover you without a strong local angle, because they are inundated with press releases about books. I don't count, but I would guess I get 20 to 50 per day.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told a good independent book publicist (i.e., working outside the publishing house) will set an author back $9,000-15,000.

Good publicists can be costly, but they will work to your budget and do their best to maximise the effects of their efforts bearing in mind the venues where your works are available. You can spend as little as £500 and get good results. But for many self publishers it's a toss-up between paying for things like editing and paying for a publicist, which makes it a difficult option to justify.

Fact is, most media outlets will not cover you without a strong local angle, because they are inundated with press releases about books. I don't count, but I would guess I get 20 to 50 per day.

I can imagine.

Publicists are at their most effective working on a book which has that unique angle. And their efforts bring the highest return to authors who have an extensive backlist, as the publicity doesn't only affect the book being publicised. (The same is true for being listed on a big book promotion, or being shortlisted for something like the Man-Booker prize.)