Status
Not open for further replies.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year!

To refresh for those long-time Progress Reporters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.

2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.

3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, the number of words you edited during the week, any acceptances garnered, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.

4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.

5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. We occasionally have a Guest Dominatrix just because.

6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the most words edited for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!); the exciting news of the week (like acceptances, media coverage, getting paid, etc.)

7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.

8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.

9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2017 thread for examples.

Welcome to 2018, let's make this the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who will be the first Nanner winner of 2018?

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awards For This Week’s Awesomeness

NANNER-Saoirse

:banana::banana::banana:

Qgq1YRT.jpg

BLOG POST-Saoirse 1

:e2BIC::e2BIC::e2BIC:

sxgnRns.jpg

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Holidays. Now the post vacation workload which completely negates the vacation benefits is keeping me from writing as much as I want this week. :Headbang:

Started outlining my Sisyphus Project. Outline so far is 894 words. 70%-75% of it will likely make up some part of the first draft.

The other 2 WIPs are still where I last left them:

WIP#1 Untitled - Militantly pacifist elves are the world's only hope of salvation. 0 words this week. 13,906 total.

WIP #2 Billy Meechum - Sorcerer...'s Apprentice - Recent College grad with no job prospects and student loans coming due, decides to answer ad for a Sorcerer's Apprentice. 0 words this week. 4,666 total.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
****Waves to everyone****

I can't remember the last time I posted but coming back in. It's been a busy year in 2017 and my writing has morphed but I want to get back into this group and the support I find here.

So, my word count for the week starting from the 1st day of January is 1,804 words. I also submitted 1 movie review to be published. (Don't get paid except for getting to go to the movie for free but it is published.)

Missed you all!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Holidays. Now the post vacation workload which completely negates the vacation benefits is keeping me from writing as much as I want this week. :Headbang:

Started outlining my Sisyphus Project. Outline so far is 894 words. 70%-75% of it will likely make up some part of the first draft.

The other 2 WIPs are still where I last left them:

WIP#1 Untitled - Militantly pacifist elves are the world's only hope of salvation. 0 words this week. 13,906 total.

WIP #2 Billy Meechum - Sorcerer...'s Apprentice - Recent College grad with no job prospects and student loans coming due, decides to answer ad for a Sorcerer's Apprentice. 0 words this week. 4,666 total.

Nanner-:banana::banana::banana:

1 Outline-:idea::idea::idea:

894 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
****Waves to everyone****

I can't remember the last time I posted but coming back in. It's been a busy year in 2017 and my writing has morphed but I want to get back into this group and the support I find here.

So, my word count for the week starting from the 1st day of January is 1,804 words. I also submitted 1 movie review to be published. (Don't get paid except for getting to go to the movie for free but it is published.)

Missed you all!

Welcome back

1,804 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

1-Submission-:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey

1 Publication-:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! This thread looks like fun! Is it too late to join in on this?

Last week I wrote two new drafts of the query letter for my finished novel (draft #9 could be a winner!) and got 901 words into a new WIP tentatively titled "The River Bard."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! This thread looks like fun! Is it too late to join in on this?

Last week I wrote two new drafts of the query letter for my finished novel (draft #9 could be a winner!) and got 901 words into a new WIP tentatively titled "The River Bard."

Welcome

901 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Welcome new peoples! This is a great thread. :)

Reporting in...a bit late...(what happened to the weekend?)

2,000 words written
1 blog post

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome new peoples! This is a great thread. :)

Reporting in...a bit late...(what happened to the weekend?)

2,000 words written
1 blog post

2,000 words :Clap::Clap::Clap:

1 blog post :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Due to the AW server move happening tonight, I'm giving this week's awards today.

NANNER-Justobuddies

Qgq1YRT.jpg

WORD COUNT-Saoirse 2,000

:Jump::Jump::Jump:

HzMTwjO.jpg

BLOG POST-Saoirse 1

:e2BIC::e2BIC::e2BIC:

sxgnRns.jpg

SUBMISSIONS- Andrea Rittschof 1

:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

xJVE2FP.jpg

OUTLINE-Justobuddies 1

:e2crown::e2crown::e2crown:

khpu8fV.jpg

PUBLICATION- Andrea Rittschof 1

:Trophy::Trophy::Trophy:

9t0LdSq.jpg

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to have the forum back! While the server was down I wrote on my Sisyphus prompt and I've got 3,132 words into the first draft!

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
Yaayyyyy it's back!

While the server was down I wrote 4,586 words in my WIP and edited 269 pages of my "finished" novel. Last round of revisions (hopefully) before querying!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With the move, we'll do this as a short week, Sunday to Thursday

Reporting in.....

2,000 words written
1 blog post

Nanner-:banana::banana::banana:

1 blog post-:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

2,000 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to have the forum back! While the server was down I wrote on my Sisyphus prompt and I've got 3,132 words into the first draft!

3,132 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yaayyyyy it's back!

While the server was down I wrote 4,586 words in my WIP and edited 269 pages of my "finished" novel. Last round of revisions (hopefully) before querying!

4,586 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

269 pages edited-:hooray::hooray::hooray:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

NANNER-Saoirse

Qgq1YRT.jpg