Formatting FlashBack ? Montage

cmeffa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. i was wondering if anyone could please tell me correct formatting for a montage that is also a flashback. When I did searches online, I kept getting either only how to format a montage, or how to format a flashback. Would FLASHBACK / MONTAGE on scene heading work? on the Also would I use Begin / End Flashback, or BEGIN / END MONTAGE? Thanks in advance.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sure, that would work for me, as long as it's clear.

I remembered seeing a couple of montages in L.A. Confidential, search for "montage" and see how Mr. Helgeland did it. Read the script too if you haven't already, great writing.

-Derek

cmeffa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.Sorry I know I didn't phrase my question very clearly. I was wondering how would I format if during a Flashback scene it goes into a Montage. Not sure if that makes sense or not? In other words part of the flashback isn't a montage sequence, but part of it is. So it is okay to format it as FLASHBACK BEGIN, and then BEGIN MONTAGE, and END MONTAGE in the body of the FLASHBACK? And if so I would still put END FLASHBACK at end? Apologies if they way I am stating the question is confusing. Example:
BEGIN FLASHBACK:
INT. NIGHTCLUB STAGE NIGHT
A man is watching a singing performance.
He is captivated by the singer.
BEGIN MONTAGE:
INT NIGHTCLUB STAGE NIGHT
THe Man is seen watching her at various performances over a time.
END MONTAGE
INT NIGHTCLUB BACKSTAGE NIGHT
He approaches her with his admiration of her talent and beauty.
END FLASHBACK
I hope this crude example expresses it better than the above. Also would it be better to write it as BEGIN MONTAGE or BEGIN MONTAGE / FLASHBACK, even though it is in the body of the FLASHBACK? Thanks again for your reply. Sorry about not wording my question more clearly.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Again, sure, as long as it's clear.

If I were watching the film, how would I know the various shots aren't from different moments of the same performance? What changes between the performances that would clue me in that they're different? If the singer is wearing different dresses or hairstyles, if the audience changes and the nightclub is sometimes empty and sometimes full, say so.

-Derek