• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

The Fulfilling Job versus the Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
While I am not fiscally well to do, when it comes to successes, I have obtained one. I have been completely self-employed since around April, my life is inexpensive and this is probably sustainable. This is the writer's dream. In fact, this has always been on my list of goals, and I'm thrilled to be maintaining this level of freedom. I know many people would like to be able to obtain that. If things continue to improve, and they are as my reputation is building, I may eventually get to that "freelancer nomad" travel and work lifestyle I've always wanted.

But I am not a writer.

I achieved this success via focusing on graphic design niches, and while enjoyable enough to me, this demands a certain amount of creative energy. Some of my time is client-side interactions, some of my time is unpaid cold-calling and sussing around on job boards looking for clients who require my services (fantasy cartography). So that alone is more taxing than the toilet scrubbing drudgery that tickled my creative fancies–out of boredom, yes, and my brain eventually starts bugging me to move on when I'm stuck somewhere completely unchallenging. The emotional labor of freelance work, not always as highlighted as more entertaining challenges: the horrid clients, unpaid invoices, work that comes in ebbs and flows.

Statistically, I've been able to put out my best writing when I was working my most mundane of jobs. The job I did robotically, investing all of my working hours running simulations to test writing in my brain. Cleaning, if you haven't cottoned on yet. Now, I stopped for reasons. I have no desire to return if I can maintain my present form of employment, which is why I'm posting in Outwitting Writer's Block rather than shucking resumes until someone inevitably hires me to shine their things.

I would say there are two things interacting with my ability to get writing done. One of them my job has me working on the same computer and same setting in which I want to write. For another, for someone self-employed I'm godawful at scheduling and time management. I've taken some matters into my own hands by blocking social media 5 days of the week. I don't use the computer for much else recreationally, except for intermittent YouTube binges. Not only junk, but I don't have the self control to put that one on the lock. And forums such as these, where I socialize and critique other people's work, because I find keeping a critical mind is super helpful when I'm editing my work.

So, I managed to hack the first draft of my novel into shape, and I've even made several editing notes and figured out how to revise a few things, I know it'll come together. I know how to get things done too, obviously, or I wouldn't be freelancing, I just do it in blurts and blasts that have been described as "you're a better sprinter than marathoner". This holds true in my exercise life, where I like to do heavy lifts–deadlifts, squats, a few reps, a few sets, and you're done. I'm just downright computer fatigued. Psychologically, I am not good at marathoning, and so many aspects of my life are wound around this computer. Like, I look at this thing and I hate it. I spend so much time on here. I've done so many things in my house to enable me to move around and work throughout it, I have four theoretical different workstations, but there's only so much I can do. And I feel BAD allowing myself time to do it, like every time I pick it up I think "oh but you have x thing for x client", and I'm NEVER at a point where I'm out of work (which is great!) I guess the work never stopped before, but at least I went away from it; it feels like am always working, even if I'm not specifically doing a thing for a client at that very moment.

So, while I was writing this post, I thought that maybe I should try handwriting for the edit, but it would go so much slower. Or would it? Is that a trap question I'm asking myself? I've never done much handwriting, so it's tough to say.

When it comes down to it, I've experienced worse writer's block. After all, I have the draft! It's horrible and I am ashamed even one person has read some of it, but no, no, more than one person has read it and some have said it was good. So, I trust their opinions and grubby little fingers, demanding this novel before I was willing to share.

Yet, this novel I've worked on, it's the end result of something I started last year. Since I've been freelancing, I haven't created anything new. My creative, original output has dropped to 0. I have done almost no art for myself (a couple of doodles to test techniques), and only the writing based on the original outline, which I made over a year ago. I will figure out how to edit this novel, eventually. Even if it involves handwriting or a coffee shop or something else to force me out of my rut. But I'm downright concerned by my lack of creative energy. That dark part of my brain whispers, "Hey. You're never going to get better. You're giving all your creative energy away for barely any money at all, and even if you make more, it all goes to your clients, there's none left for you."

I suppose I'm posting in part to share some of what I've done to manage so far, and maybe seeing if someone's further down this road and has advice on better balancing life. Can always be doing better. Or commiseration, that's always welcome too. Cheers.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few minutes' spare, so only one question: What are your daily working hours? Are they fixed, or do you just keep going for as long as you want?

If the former, I would recommend going outside for a bit. Not the gym, or to any other building, but spending time outdoors and just being. Just allowing your senses to take in the world, and permitting your mind to wander without direction, without conscious activity. I've found that when work takes over like it seems to have done for you, I can't create; there's no energy left, no brainpower. However, since I've started strictly adhering to fixed working hours (and cut back on a lot of things), as well as just walking outside down a muscle-memory path (so I can free my brain and senses), I've found myself able to write creatively again.

If the latter, I would suggest strictly regulating the hours you work. And then varying your routine enough to get outside. Again, I think it's about relaxation for the brain and the senses, especially the eyes, hands and lungs.

Also: another thought: Are you drinking enough water daily? Not any other liquid, but actually water? Sounds simple enough, trivial, even, but I've found that the more I drink water the more alert my mind becomes and I still have energy after a long day to write creatively. (Obviously, I relax first.) And if I can't? I give myself permission to not write and just be.

Perhaps that might be a key to helping you get passed this block? Just be. (A form of meditation if that's a better way to think about it?)

Hope you get passed this block soon!

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
This is so relatable for me...I work a very intense day job in retail pharmacy, a little different than what you're doing, but it causes similar issues for me. I do a lot of peopling and a lot of problem solving, and I give so much energy to it that when I'm not at work I just feel like I've been poured out. These are not ideal writing conditions, and I suffer a lot from writer's block as a result.

It's absolutely a constant struggle; I love my job and I love being able to afford having a roof over my head, but a full creative life is really what keeps me emotionally afloat. I have to work really tenaciously to keep it balanced. I don't think there's any real way around that unless I win the lottery. I have to work and I have to create, and because it's easier to push off creating than it is to quit my job, I have to jealously protect my creative self. I have to make it a priority. It doesn't always work out neatly. In fact, I'd say it's pretty much always a complete and utter mess. I'm not always creatively productive. But I make a point of showing up, and magic happens a lot, and this is good. So I keep going.

It does help me to set strict writing times. Doesn't have to be every day -- I work ten hour shifts and writing is basically impossible on those days unless I'm planning to give up dinner. But on my days off I am very rigid about going to a coffee shop and getting some time in to write. I think a change of venue like this might be good for you and get you in a good place to write.

I do a lot of hand writing. It activates a different part of your brain when you use your hands that way. It's my preferred manner of editing too -- I do a first draft on the computer but then I print out a hard copy and make notes in red. I rewrite small chunks on paper. If I'm stuck in my first draft, I free write by hand. I'll write about what I need a scene to do, what motives the characters have, what might be interesting to add, what my fears are...anything to keep my hand moving. It's therapeutic and it keeps my head in the game.

This year I've signed up for a drawing class. It's a social experiment for me...I'm naturally very introverted and my inclination is to do art alone, on my own time, as it happens, but since that doesn't always work out, I'm trying the class. I feel like it may end up working out better for me to have a strict appointment during which I must work on my art. Whether I'm feeling it or not. And if it turns out well, I think I'll join a writing group, or similar. Scheduling an external appointment may just give me a little extra structure. So that's what I;m hoping for.

Good luck. I hope I've helped.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
From what I've heard, lotto is a 50% chance of making you bankrupt in a year; people in low tax brackets simply don't know how to manage large amounts of cash! So I'm not so upset that I have to work for my money...

I've been violently ill for the last few days, so organizing thoughts into words that make sense is still enormously challenging. Was typing like I was drunk there, so no sense trying to post until now. That said, both of these posts are excellent thoughts on the matter and advice and I greatly appreciate them. :)

I carry around a water bottle religiously but I am not good about drinking enough. Is crazy how that small thing can have such a huge impact, you're right, I must start drinking more. Cheers! (drinks water and coughs sickly)

get outside
Normally I would agree but
Irefuse.jpg

nah

No, I'm kidding. I have a friend who I watch a couple episodes of whatever TV show after she gets off work at midnight (my housemate is the only one with a car, and she picks her up and drops her off). Right now it's Gravity Falls. Good times. So I've made a ritual of going back in the car with her and then back with my other friend. Going outside does help. I like to do this when I need to get straight to work because then I pretend in my brain like I'm commuting to work and think about what I need to start on. So I use this trick already, but for my money making work.

I am stubborn about doing the writing though. If I let myself just be, then I be two years older and have nothing done; I am extraordinarily good at being content. I believe that we are not what we aspire to be, but instead, our lowest bar by default. I will always be lazy, but what's the laziest I will accept for myself? So I do not mind this discontent; it's not the bully other voices in my head can be. This is the warning voice, the one that chimes in to say, "Hey. Your standards are slipping. You haven't worked this hard to stop now. You used to have a daily writing habit. You knew you were doing building block writing. You're better than that now. Don't stop now that you've spent years learning!"

I think I may try handwriting. I'm even excited to try revise because this stupid kids show has me on the couch going "ahhh why is it so good this is for children" and I'm all inspired now. I mean, I'm too genre savvy; I can see exactly what they're doing and why and I'm just smart enough that I can sit above it admiring how all the pieces fit together so well. I feared seeing behind the curtain would kill my joy of consuming, but really, it hasn't; it's only made it harder for examples of any sort to seriously impress me.

And I think I need to set "working hours". I have already done that, to an extent; it's harder because of my sleep disorder and the immediacy of the phone making it possible for someone to get hold of me at any hour. But I do maintain a strict buffer of "my phone is off and I am sleeping" and don't apologize for that; I should probably see if I can ekk out even a half hour-hour every day of "this is writing time" where I, dunno, I guess figure out where the nearest place I could sit with a notepad is. There's a 24-7 coffee/burger kind of place a 20 minute walk away, and I know they would not be opposed to a writer at any hours as their whole thing seems to be "come and have a coffee at any hour".

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that maybe I should try handwriting for the edit, but it would go so much slower

Anything that breaks your brain out of a rut might be helpful - if you intuitively feel like this is what you need to break computer fatigue, I say give it a whirl (and let us know how it goes). :)

I did the whole self-employed for freedom thing for a while, and was absolutely murdered by the cost of my overhead, and "extra" hours spent communicating with clients. 6 day weeks, 10-12 hour days (after marketing, ordering, client communications), no mental energy for exercise or creativity. Free but not really free when I did have free time, because I was dead from working so much. I felt like an orc.

I finally went back to working for someone else. Now I make more money working four days a week, and never do any work off the clock - they pay someone else to do that, YIPPEE! The portfolio (and implied discipline) I had built working for myself was how I got this job... so even though I didn't stay on my own (which was what I thought I wanted for the longest time), it was a part of the journey to me finding a way to support the lifestyle I need while simultaneously having enough time to indulge my creative urges. I used to have a ton of time to write when I was younger and waitressed, but that was scrapping to stay alive.

I hope you achieve the work/life balance you need for your creativity. I understand the struggle. Don't give up and don't be afraid to shake things up if they aren't working for you. My soul felt strangled when I couldn't write and I feel like I need buckets to catch all the words now to make up for lost time.

Even 500 words a day is better than nothing! Small daily commitments add up, whatever those are for you.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I used to have trouble with scheduling but when I was briefly self employed I surprised myself by doing pretty well. The key was to have spent a good amount of time time-tracking so that I knew how long things actually took, how I was actually using my time and the like. You gather that data and use it to tweak your schedule so that you are getting the most out of your time - it helps you make good decisions about how to use time. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to get in touch more about this.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I quite like handwriting. Because you don't have the option to cut out words or fiddle with a word here and there, you can really get into the flow of it, then give it a lookover in a couple of days time.

Status
Not open for further replies.