"Salt of the Earth" 2015 documentary on photographer Sebastião Salgado

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From my library's description:
A biographical documentary film following the life and career of the photographer Sebastião Salgado, both the major historical events he has photographed and his current project to photograph Earth's natural spaces.

I'm floored. This was such an incredible film. What an incredible body of work, it's impossible to do it justice trying to describe it.

It's bizarre to read the comments of people who didn't like it. This one was incredibly disturbing that anyone could look at this man's life and work and say this:
Sadly this film turned out to be nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at pro UN propaganda, particularly around it's earth charter program. Most folks probably won't see this because many are still unaware, however the typical signs abounded from the start. Musings about people not sharing, people being violent, people being greedy, and how awful people really are to other people & the earth. This was the "aren't people terrible" part of the film...but of course the UN came to the rescue along with their partner organization Doctors w/o Borders. As typical with this kind of propaganda first we get the problem...how awful humans are, then we get the "solution" how people can heal themselves, others, and the planet through THEIR version of restoration, sharing, and science. This formula is rather obvious to those able to see it but it's likely to be unnoticed by most because the photographers wonderful talent is the supposed reason for the film. A sad waste of talent for a cause that it the pinnacle of globalist deceit. Take a look at Salgado's website as UNICEF is who he's really dancing for, another UN organization.
That is absolutely not what I took away from the film.

You can see some of his work on this link. I hope you all see this and search online for more of his work.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooooooooooooo, this looks like something I would be interested in watching.

I'll see if it's on Google Play. I can buy movies that way.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
From my library's description:

I'm floored. This was such an incredible film. What an incredible body of work, it's impossible to do it justice trying to describe it.

It's bizarre to read the comments of people who didn't like it. This one was incredibly disturbing that anyone could look at this man's life and work and say this:That is absolutely not what I took away from the film.

You can see some of his work on this link. I hope you all see this and search online for more of his work.

Way back when, I worked on this CD-ROM about the film.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's really cool anyway, but that's not the same movie. From your link:
Or the world of a movie. Voyager’s Salt of the Earth (for Macintosh) includes the full film of that title (albeit in modest-resolution near-stop-action), an underappreciated Hollywood saga of striking New Mexico miners made in 1953 by a group of blacklisted filmmakers. It also gives the full screenplay, which you can follow along with, and, to back that up, there’s a wealth of information on the movie and the moviemakers—biographies, reviews, historical and critical essays, and more—and hundreds of photographs both from the film’s production and from the actual 1950 strike it was based on.
It's related in a tangential way.

Salgado spent years on different projects, one of them being "workers" where his subjects would have been akin to striking miners.

Here's what Amazon says about that period of Salgado's work:
More than those of any other living photographer, Sebastião Salgado's images of the world's poor stand in tribute to the human condition. His transforming photographs bestow dignity on the most isolated and neglected, from famine-stricken refugees in the Sahel to the indigenous peoples of South America. "Workers" is a global epic that transcends mere imagery to become an affirmation of the enduring spirit of working women and men. The book is an archaeological exploration of the activities that have defined labor from the Stone Age through the Industrial Age, to the present. Divided into six categories--"Agriculture," "Food," "Mining," "Industry," "Oil" and "Construction"--the book unearths layers of visual information to reveal the ceaseless human activity at the core of modern civilization. Extended captions provide a historical and factual framework for the images. "Salgado unveils the pain, the beauty, and the brutality of the world of work on which everything rests," wrote Arthur Miller of this photobook classic, upon its original publication in 1993. "This is a collection of deep devotion and impressive skill." An elegy for the passing of traditional methods of labor and production, "Workers" delivers a message of endurance and hope.

And this:
Sebastião Salgado's Workers is an elegy to the manual laborers of the industrial age in the fields of agriculture, mining, oil, construction, food and industry. Salgado's powerful images of tea pickers in Rwanda, dam builders in India, steelworkers in France and the Ukraine, sugarcane harvesters in Brazil, assembly-line workers in Russia and China, sulfur miners in Indonesia and others pay moving tribute to the working people who, in Salgado's portrayal, have maintained their dignity under the harshest of conditions. Made over a period of six years, the 250 photographs comprising the series were first exhibited in 1993; for this publication, the project's original curator, Lelia Wanick Salgado, has narrowed the selection down to 81 photographs. A classic photobook, Workers offers an affirmation of the enduring spirit of working women and men.

Here are some of his other projects:

Terra: Struggle of the Landless
Migrations: Humanity in Transition
Sahel: The End of the Road
Africa
Other Americas
The Children: Refugees and Migrants

And with his later work he took on nature in a work titled: Genesis.

The photographs themselves are incredible, but the story of humanity (not the most pleasant side) that he documented in those photographs are beyond incredible.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've put the 1954 Salt of the Earth on reserve at the library since it looks like such an interesting movie and because it comes so highly recommended in this thread. :D