What's your rejection tally for 2017?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first year shooting for one hundred rejections, and I'm pleased to share that I've surpassed my goal! I'm at 127 rejections and five acceptances--to Narrative (x2), Fourteen Hills, Barnstorm, and Reservoir. Really hoping to get acceptance #6 before the end of the year--I have sixty-six pending submissions--but perhaps it's not to be. I'm going for 200 rejections in 2018. It can be done!

I just thought it might be encouraging for everyone to share their numbers. I feel pretty immune to rejections at this point; when I get a letter, tiered or not, I send the journal another story. Keep the faith, guys! Keep submitting! And Merry Christmas :)

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I only had something to query/submit late in the year (October), so my numbers are pretty low. I've sent 26 queries, had 1 offer of rep that fell apart, have since had 1 partial request, 13 rejections, and I'm waiting on the remaining 11.

On the plus side, 2 of the rejections were of the, "Not this book but I'd like to see your next one" variety.

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
Queries Sent: 128
Rejections: 108
Fulls/Partials Requested then Rejected: 12
Still Out: 8

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first year shooting for one hundred rejections, and I'm pleased to share that I've surpassed my goal! I'm at 127 rejections and five acceptances--to Narrative (x2), Fourteen Hills, Barnstorm, and Reservoir. Really hoping to get acceptance #6 before the end of the year--I have sixty-six pending submissions--but perhaps it's not to be. I'm going for 200 rejections in 2018. It can be done!

I just thought it might be encouraging for everyone to share their numbers. I feel pretty immune to rejections at this point; when I get a letter, tiered or not, I send the journal another story. Keep the faith, guys! Keep submitting! And Merry Christmas :)

Congrats!

My number is zero.

(You didn't ask my submit number. It's zero as well.)

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Well I took most of the year off from querying, I finished most of my last round of queries in April or so.

For agents: 39 total queries, 27 rejected at query stage, 5 resulted in requested materials, 3 of which were ultimately rejected, 7 queries still out
For short stories: 38 total submissions, 30 form rejections, 4 personal rejections, 4 still out

So about 64 rejections.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure my sent number, but all were rejected, and they were the impersonal kind of rejections. I start to wonder if I really want to be published at all. I can tell a damn good story, but publishing seems to be more about selling and marketing, rather than, y'know, your story. It requires the kind of interpersonal skills I absolutely suck it. I don't know how to make a complete stranger like me; in social situations, I mostly hang out in back, feel people out, until I know enough about them to talk about stuff beyond TV/Movies and the like.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It requires the kind of interpersonal skills I absolutely suck it. I don't know how to make a complete stranger like me; in social situations, I mostly hang out in back, feel people out, until I know enough about them to talk about stuff beyond TV/Movies and the like.

Keep the faith. Writing novels is one of the few places were it's not essential to have great inter-personal skills, and I say this as an asocial introvert who avoids all parties, has a very minimal social life, and has deliberately chosen to work at home so as to avoid interacting with even co-workers. Of course, great social skills can help in just about any situation, and publishing is no exception. I'm terrible at the witty bon mot, but stuff like Twitter and other social media has allowed "digital extroverts" to overshadow and marginalize us introverts even in publishing. I guarantee you that if a writer with amazing online charisma is charming the pants off of people on the Internet, I too would be that person unaware it was even happening, because I was too busy at home, wearing a VR helmet and playing Skyrim, thus avoiding interactions with real human beings.

But you can still do it.

I've tried going out to writers conferences and fumbling actual meets with agents. I didn't even have a Twitter account until September of this year, and subsequently had an invisible online presence, still do for the most part. But if your story is good, and your writing is good, and you get that lucky confluence of an agent in the right, receptive mood, a market that is looking for the kind of story you're telling, and the circumstances that land your query right at that agent's mailbox just as he or she is thinking about an acquiring editor that is looking for just that kind of story, then the work will speak for itself, so you don't have to.

When I got my agent this year, it was completely cold. Just a query that led to a request for a partial, that led to a request for the full, that led to an offer of representation. I didn't have to dazzle anyone online with snappy repartee, I didn't have to establish an online reputation as the digital life of the party, and I didn't even have to meet anyone in real life, hob nob, or rely on connections or friend of a friend to make a reference. It's easier to do it the other way, to be loud, noticeable and charming, but if you're as private as I am, and only interact with others when necessary, it's still feasible. So don't give up hope. Introverts CAN still let their work do the talking. It might just take more time when the more popular, extroverted personalities are selling themselves so aggressively.

Last edited:

pearseAnderson

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone! Wow. This thread inspired me to start an account on this here forum.

This year, I was denied 50 times. However, I have 47 entries bending. And since August, I've been published four (4!) times. That feels good to give y'all numbers like that. May 2018 have 100 rejections up its sleeve, as many of them as personal as possible.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I aint heard a thing in a week.

Christmas!

Bg Humbug!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play:

For being on submission with my novel: 12 subs rejected, 3 still pending, little hope left but trudging onward
For essays/stories/etc: at least 35 rejections, 4 (? I think?) acceptances, 5 still pending

So only 47 rejections, which doesn't feel too terrible! I need to produce more to get more rejections-- I love that piece in LitHub from a few years ago about a goal of 100 rejections a year.

detroitgirl

way out west
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbywolfinsohn.com
When I got my agent this year, it was completely cold. Just a query that led to a request for a partial, that led to a request for the full, that led to an offer of representation. I didn't have to dazzle anyone online with snappy repartee, I didn't have to establish an online reputation as the digital life of the party, and I didn't even have to meet anyone in real life.

:Thumbs: this!!!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a good system in place for keeping track of my submissions until I found submission grinder in the fall. I got 6 rejections in that time. I'm not sure how many before that... at least another 6. I didn't send out as many submissions as I should have last year. I had a website where I posted flash fic and short stories, but I'm going to focus on subs this year rather than posting on my own site.

DeviatedDavid

Banned
Reaction score
I have been stung by so many rejections I almost never send out anything anymore. I still write, but before I send out more stuff I am going to study techniques and methods of getting the interest of agents and publishers. I have been alien to the industry and I think one must know something about an animal (And publishing can be a snarling, bitchy animal) before one can get it to jump through one's hoops.

Maria Ale Barrios

Registered
Reaction score
Flowerburguers,

Congrats on your published work. Narrative is HUGE. What did you publish with Reservoir? Can I read it?

Last edited:

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
I shoot for 100 rejections each year too! I almost hit the mark -- 94 in 2017. I've already got 6 for 2018! :D

Out of those 94 rejections, I got one short story and two non-fic pieces accepted. I received 10 full requests, 3 partials, and 1 R&R.

I have also been published with Barnstorm! Do you mind sharing a link to your piece? You can send it via PM if you want.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I got my agent this year, it was completely cold. Just a query that led to a request for a partial, that led to a request for the full, that led to an offer of representation. I didn't have to dazzle anyone online with snappy repartee, I didn't have to establish an online reputation as the digital life of the party, and I didn't even have to meet anyone in real life, hob nob, or rely on connections or friend of a friend to make a reference. It's easier to do it the other way, to be loud, noticeable and charming, but if you're as private as I am, and only interact with others when necessary, it's still feasible. So don't give up hope. Introverts CAN still let their work do the talking. It might just take more time when the more popular, extroverted personalities are selling themselves so aggressively.

As an introvert, this made my day :) :)