• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NY Literary Magazine

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lying liars, of the lying variety.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
Depressed to realize I'm apparently the only author in the world so unsuccessful they didn't think it was worth sending me their email.

Or is that how they're establishing a legal basis for any claims of exclusivity: "Hey, we didn't nominate that schlub, so how can you say say we're 'pay to play'?"

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Prompted by a comment on James Nicoll's post about this:

I was feeling sad and lonely because I only got the first one and not the followup accusing us of being cyberbullies. I hadn't chucked the first one into the spambin yet, so hadn't thought to look in there for the second.

And there it was, complete with Gmail's description of why the algorithm had round-filed it:
Why is this message in Spam? It's similar to messages that have been detected by our spam filters.

:)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Depressed to realize I'm apparently the only author in the world so unsuccessful they didn't think it was worth sending me their email.

Or is that how they're establishing a legal basis for any claims of exclusivity: "Hey, we didn't nominate that schlub, so how can you say say we're 'pay to play'?"

I didn't get one either.

So that's two of us.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
So, em, how big is the Award Ribbon they're offering?

Asking for a friend...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Prompted by a comment on James Nicoll's post about this:

I was feeling sad and lonely because I only got the first one and not the followup accusing us of being cyberbullies. I hadn't chucked the first one into the spambin yet, so hadn't thought to look in there for the second.

And there it was, complete with Gmail's description of why the algorithm had round-filed it:
Why is this message in Spam? It's similar to messages that have been detected by our spam filters.

:)

Oh. Yep. I checked the spam this morning and there it was. It's really f*cking long too. With lots of "This can't be a scam because we just started this," and "We never said that we just showed how the (virtual) award sticker "might" be displayed." Plus a few tons of handwringing and faux snark.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
TorTeen should know better, and I'd *really* side-eye the agent.

Luckily, I had this one all wrong.

Turns out NY Literary approached the author earlier in the month and offered to review her book. No money changed hands and they posted a nice review, which is why she was excited. I pointed her to one of the threads and her response was eeeeuw.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com

I didn't get one either, so . . . It's a dumb thing to feel left out, I know, but I kind of do!

Zaffiro

Registered
Reaction score
The poetry and short story contests are/were free to enter. The one with the reading fee was a new contest for novels. (Helpfully called the Best Story contest.)

Ah, I get it. Thanks.

Yahzi

Registered
Reaction score
They profess elsewhere that this is all the fault of outsourcing their marketing and they're totally legit and how dare anyone think it's a scam.
Thanks for posting that link. I tried to days ago but tech issues.

I was immediately suspicious when they asked me to name the story they considered good enough for nomination. My back catalog isn't THAT big...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site returned last month, but now reads:

Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately, the NY Literary Magazine has shut down.
We thank everyone who submitted their poetry, short stories, books, and art to our magazine! We're very sorry to no longer be able to feature your lovely work on our website.

Regretfully, we will no longer be publishing author interviews, free poetry magazines, articles, and running free-to-enter poetry contests. We have closed the magazine for good.

We wish you all the best and hope you get your work published and achieve all your writing goals! Have a great day.

FTR, Writer Beware's blog about it: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2017/12/how-not-to-promote-writing-contest-ny.html