favorite SciFi series (novels of course)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
For me, the whole idea of series novels is a little bit new, and yet they're all over the place these days. The first I can recall reading was Asimov's Foundation series... then of course there was Clarke's Sentinel => 2001 +++ series, and the Rama series.

So just for fun - what's your favorite SciFi series? (doesn't have to be current).

For me - I really enjoy the Expanse series of books (by pseudonym James S.A. Corey). Well written (IMO), plausible science, interesting characters of depth that you grow to care for, and an intriguing plots.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd have to put the Hitchhiker's Guide series as my favourite, even though it's not the type of stuff I usually even read. Of the numerous other series I've read, nothing really springs to mind - maybe the original Foundation series. I enjoyed it, even though I have a general dislike of Asimov. Also Dune by Frank Herbert. Some people consider Le Guin's Hainish cycle novels to be a series I guess, I don't, but they are still all really excellent books - she is one of my favourite authors.

Currently reading three series: Vorkosigan's Saga, Vatta's War and Old Wan's War. The last one taking the cake so far by a quite large margin. I'm in the first book still with Scalzi though, and I hope the series doesn't go the way of Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, where the first book was beyond excellent and the rest felt like they weren't even written by the same author.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hitchhiker's Guide was a classic series - until the fifth book, which kinda killed the fun IMHO. (I did enjoy Eoin Colfer's sixth book, though it couldn't help feel a slight bit awkward continuing a series that had very definitively and depressingly ended.)

I got a kick out of Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0 series, about modern programmers who discover the data files behind reality and manipulate it to become "wizards." Sort of a Douglas Adams Lite feel to the style.

Tad Williams's Otherland quartet, about the near-future of the internet, was pretty good, though the conclusion felt a trifle shaky. (Romance is one of the author's weak spots, IMHO.)

My nostalgic all-time favorite series, though, would have to be K. A. Applegate's Animorphs. Yes, even with the finale. Fast paced, some great character transformations, and it didn't pull its punches (something even grown-up series do.)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I would suggest Earthsearch and Pentworth by James Follett . Both were originally written for radio and later rewritten as a series of novels . The Pentworth series is a bit like Stephen kings , The Dome . I don't know if that is just a coincidence ? but I prefer Follett's version . I'm actuly not a big fan of the series , partly because I'm a slow reader, but also the momentum often runs out of steam and the story meanders . Asimov's Foundation is like that , in parts it can become quite dull. A good fast to read alternative, is a book like Parvane by Keith Roberts . A series of short stories .

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Some people consider Le Guin's Hainish cycle novels to be a series I guess, I don't, but they are still all really excellent books - she is one of my favourite authors.
Le Guin's Lathe of Heaven is among my favorite books. In some of her other novels she got heavily into Taoism (which I study as well) and explored some interesting aspects of sexuality. She definitely is among the best female authors I've read.

I got a kick out of Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0 series, about modern programmers who discover the data files behind reality and manipulate it to become "wizards." Sort of a Douglas Adams Lite feel to the style.
I was doing a lot of programming near the end of my career... so I'll definitely have to check it out.

The Pentworth series is a bit like Stephen kings , The Dome.
I've read a ton of Stephen King's novels (I even have a couple first editions (not signed though :cry:)) - but I didn't care much for The Dome because it seemed like a rip off of an old Twilight Zone episode. I had no idea it was a series. I did like his Dark Tower series (but hated the movie).

As I've gotten older (I'm freaking ancient dude) - my preference turned toward stories that have some deeper meaning behind them. I'm not speaking of a philosophical tome, just a good story that is somewhat unique and interesting, but with a MC that observes the human condition and speaks of it.

Last edited:

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
The Diamond Age, about a girl and a society transformed by molecular printers. Three Body Problem, about an alien invasion and cultural revolution. And Darkwar, a science fantasy about a people trying to escape their doomed planet and culture. Honorable mentions include Ender's Game series, Foundation series, The Gaea Trilogy by John Varley, Left Hand of Darkness, and Dragonriders of Pern (it counts!).

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry , I have miss quoted It is King's Under the dome . I's not actually written as a series, but is thumping big book, over a thousand pages . It has been made into a TV series .

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Hi
Sorry , I have miss quoted It is King's Under the dome . I's not actually written as a series, but is thumping big book, over a thousand pages . It has been made into a TV series .

:D Yeah - a lot of King's novels can be used as door-stoppers.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Book of the Long Sun series, Book of the New Sun series, Book of the Short Sun series.

by Gene Wolfe. Nothing else compares to his writing, regardless of genre.

Too Like the Lightning - tetralogy, by Ada Palmer. Not a lot of modern series Ican get behind but this is one of them.

Lord of Light by Zelazny. Cheating because this is standalone, not a series, but... imo it's possibly the best SF novel ever written. Obviously subjective, that.

Dying Earth, Jack Vance. Brilliant, subversive, poetic, landmark.

Philip K Dick (his books are often thematically linked, if not outright same universe).

Usula Le Guin's joined up SF series (can't remember what it's called but same universe as LEft Hand of Darkness).

Last edited:

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
The Expanse series is great.

The Red Rising books by Pierce Brown are very good.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series, also known as Lilith's Brood (Dawn, Adulthood Rites, Imago).

Mind-bending in the best way possible. Often an uncomfortable read. I couldn't resist asking myself what I'd do under similar circumstances and the answers surprised me. Using sci-fi to bring a fresh eye to the history of slavery and in so doing examine what it means to be human was brilliant. It's an unforgettable story -- stories, really -- all wound together and going off in directions I couldn't have imagined. I should read them again. It's been years.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
(At the risk of repeating some series I've name-dropped in the past)

In slavish agreement with Harlequin about Gene Wolfe. I've spent a decent chunk of my adulthood obsessed with this series, bought both Lexicon Urthis and Solar Labyrinth to understand it better. And I think I'm this close to figuring out who Severian's sister is. Might also mention Fifth Head of Cerberus, which is probably not connected but certainly related somehow, and with Wolfe you can never be sure.

Also agree about the LeGuin's Hainish Cycle, and PKD in general, who I've always appreciated for his focus on working class Joes/Joesephines and schmendricks trying to get by as much as the trippy gnosticism.

Also, yes, the Expanse. Proof that solid genre fiction can add up to something monumental.

Kinda science-fantasy, but CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy was really amazing, and I don't even like vampires!

Ian McDonald's Luna series is the most recent thing I'm obsessed with, woke and intellectually stimulating but delightfully trashy.

And both of Alastair Reynolds major series, Revelation Space and Poseidon's Children. I still like the Rev Space series better, but massively appreciate Poseidon's Children for the fact that it features flawed people in an imperfect but serviceable utopia.

And then there's the Culture...

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Wolfe is very unwell--had heart surgery recently.

Yep. I think A Borrowed Man may be his last book. Didn't read that, did read Land Across, which was even more WTF than usual. I don't know how many other Lupophiliacs there are on this board, but I feel like you and I need to open up a Wolfe thread one of these days. So much to discuss!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series.

Back in the day, I read everything I could find from Larry Niven's Known World universe.

I'm sure there are others that escape me at the moment, though I'm not a big sf reader overall. Occasionally I will find something I like.