Psychological basis for hallucinating

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I have a science fiction/fantasy character who hallucinates snakes every time he stresses out, and as the draft stands now, this is one of several things that drives his choices. They are sort of a metaphor for the issues in his life. His hallucinations are intense - Feeling constricted, smelling the breath of the snake, and so on. They vary (but they could all be identical if that's truer to hallucinating.)

I don't know why he has these hallucinations. (I don't know the biological or psychological basis for it.)

He doesn't use drugs, and he doesn't have schizophrenia.

Are there stress - induced hallucinatory states like what I am briefly describing? I have to decide if I should keep them and provide a rationale for them, or ditch them.

Could this sort of thing stem from a childhood experience? Are there names for this specific sort of hallucinatory state (i.e. not the diagnosis necessarily, a name for a specific type of hallucination.)

Thanks if you have any ideas.

Last edited:

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
An intense phobia could trigger someone to hear or think they see the object of their fear, as in snakes. Any kind of anxiety disorder would mean that triggering aspects of the environment that remind the character of snakes would set off a panic attack and physiological symptoms. Feeling constricted fits well with a panic attack and you could argue that smelling or feeling a creeping sensation on the skin could also fit well with having an anxiety attack. Does he see a physical snake in the room? That might be a bit harder to stretch, but if you're just talking about changes in sensation (auditory/tactile sensation) describing it as a phobia seems plausible to me.

Alternately, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is a hyperactivity of the stress system in the brain/body (look up the Hypothalamic-Pituitary Axis). This is generally caused by one or several traumatic events that cause repeated anxiety attacks over the long-term. These attacks can often be triggered by aspects of the environment such as loud noises or anything that might remind an individual of the initial trauma. So, if your character was trapped in a box of snakes at some point (if this happened in childhood, it may be a more indelible part of his psyche), then anything related to snakes could trigger these episodes. But again, it doesn't necessarily need to be PTSD. PTSD is strongly tied to memory, so if your character has not been through a specific experience with snakes that *caused* these sensations, I would go with a phobia.

If he's seeing what he thinks is a live snake in the room, I would guess that most clinicians would classify this as some kind of psychoactive state akin to schizophrenia. If you can keep it more to auditory/physical changes in sensation it would fit much better with an anxiety disorder such as a snake phobia.

I hope this helps!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
That is super helpful. I'll look at these possibilities. Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If it is an actual visual hallucination of an thing while looking right at it that is not typically associated with stress or anxiety, but one of the psychotic disorders. The visual hallucinations associated with anxiety are generally more fleeting and diffuse.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. It doesn't have to be visual - ideally it would wake him up or prevent him from sleeping. Some screaming, so that those around him are bothered by it (his screaming.)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is helpful, but I've hallucinated a few times, and each instance was caused by extreme exhaustion/sleep deprivation. For example, I once walked 30 miles in a day. That last mile, as the sun started to go down, I passed this little grove of trees, and the shady area underneath seemed to pulsate and recede. It was weird. I was perfectly lucid and knew it wasn't real, but I couldn't make it stop.

I never thought about it before, but if fatigue can cause hallucinations, do they occur in conjunction with narcolepsy?

...I just googled it, and sure enough, they do. Interesting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hallucinations on the point of sleep can be common in some people with or without anxiety, they are called hypnagogic hallucinations.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The MC of my series suffers from visual and audio hallucinations (caused by PTSD), and when I was researching his condition I found Oliver Sacks' book Hallucinations very enlightening.

It's eminently readable as well - I recommend it even if you don't need to research.

ETA: Here's a video of Sacks discussing the topic: Oliver Sacks on hallucinations

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
What about medications with side effects? This might be more plausible than full-on visual hallucinations lasting for an extended period of time while completely sober.

Exhaustion and sleep deprivation can definitely push the brain into some unusual states. One of my favorite books IN THE WORLD is called Return to the Brain of Eden, written by an author who stayed awake for over 11 days.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. It doesn't have to be visual - ideally it would wake him up or prevent him from sleeping. Some screaming, so that those around him are bothered by it (his screaming.)

If this is what you want from it, how about really intense, realistic nightmares about snakes that make him wake up screaming, and then, the fear of more nightmares makes him stay wakeful, which causes the lack-of-sleep issues. The lack of sleep and the memories of the nightmares (and whatever in his past triggered them) would probably make him more likely to hallucinate snakes, or snake-like objects when awake.
Maybe not with actual 'I see a snake, right ... there!" clarity, but the fleeting glimpse of a hose or rope stretched out in the sun, or a rustling in the grass or a hissing sound, might trigger the "IT'S A SNAKE!" panic response. Almost seeing the feared object can be scarier than actually seeing it ie the better kind of horror movie. Your mind fills in the blanks.

Also, the fear of snakes might not have started with snakes. Neurotype's post talked about being locked in a box of snakes as a child. Could be that he was tied up with ropes as a child, and his dreams have transformed that childish memory into snakes. Might even have been a stupid game, his buddies (or not) tying up a 'robber', leaving him in a shed or attic and forgetting about him. He panics, etc.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Frimble: They were originally nightmares, but IRL people got confused because the character is "Bob," the same character who is having akashic records access during sleep.

So, it was confusing, and my first attempt to make it easier for the reader to keep everything straight was to move the nightmares into waking hallucinations, which seemed to help readers keep track of what Bob's various altered states were. But the new problem is plausibility of all the hallucinations.

blackcat: As it stands, they keep him from sleeping and he ends up using drugs to get past the problem. IDK, I'll think about it.

Mrs.mig: I've read some of his work. I'll look into it. That would be a great source to draw on.

Vainglory: thanks! waking terror type thing ... ?

Taslima - Whoa, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy* so there is something synchronous there and I'll see if that makes sense. Giving him a label that people know, especially if it is legitimately associated with hallucinations, seems like a good idea.

I might see if he needs them at all, too. Maybe its better to ditch them, and let the other motivations become stronger.

* diagnosis of exclusion and probably not actually narcolepsy

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Patty, is your character using drugs to sleep?? You might want to research what happens if you stay awake after taking Ambien. People go absolutely nuts, black out for 24 hours and then find themselves wearing a 3 piece suit and dealing with a giant order of lobsters from Amazon.

I'm not joking. Staying awake through sleep deprivation drugs is one of the worst things ever. I had a friend who experimented recreationally, and another friend who suffered when she did it unintentionally. Thank god no harm came to either of them. This will provide you with a gold mine of weirdness.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have hallucinations on a regular basis, most likely caused by one of the psych meds I'm taking for bipolar. They always occur in the middle of the night, when I've just woken for some reason. Most of the time, the hallucinations are semi-transparent and have a sort of glow or aura about them, which tells me they aren't real. A couple of times, I've seen iPhone app squares on the wall. The first time it happened, I woke my husband and asked how in the world was he projecting his phone onto the wall!

Sometimes, however, I can't tell if it's real, or I'm not sure. For example, when I saw an alien standing in the doorway, it was all glowy, but I just assumed that's because it was an alien. (The creepy thing about that incident was when my husband sleepily asked what was wrong, I said, "It's back!" As far as I know, I've never hallucinated an alien before, so why the HECK would I say it had returned?)

Often, the hallucinations don't quite match with reality. One time, I saw a huge bat trying to get in the bedroom window. It wasn't transparent or glowing, so I actually thought it was real. I woke my husband up, grabbed a flashlight, and went to the window to get a better look. That's when I realized we have curtains in front of the window. There's no possible way I could've seen a bat trying to get in, because there were two layers of fabric between me and the glass.

So . . . my point, I guess, is that hallucinations aren't necessarily realistic, but they can feel real anyway. Or at the least, they can cause confusion.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I have a science fiction/fantasy character who hallucinates snakes every time he stresses out, and as the draft stands now, this is one of several things that drives his choices. They are sort of a metaphor for the issues in his life. His hallucinations are intense - Feeling constricted, smelling the breath of the snake, and so on. They vary (but they could all be identical if that's truer to hallucinating.)

I don't know why he has these hallucinations. (I don't know the biological or psychological basis for it.)

He doesn't use drugs, and he doesn't have schizophrenia.

Are there stress - induced hallucinatory states like what I am briefly describing? I have to decide if I should keep them and provide a rationale for them, or ditch them.

Could this sort of thing stem from a childhood experience? Are there names for this specific sort of hallucinatory state (i.e. not the diagnosis necessarily, a name for a specific type of hallucination.)

Thanks if you have any ideas.

There are kinds of waking hallucinations that occur directly before or after a REM cycle.

Also, if he took a lot of medication as a kid, like pain meds or whatever, that induced medical hallucinations, he could have flashbacks at times of stress. (A friend of mine in high school thought she was "helping" her sister by taking the sister's dose of foul-tasting medication along with her own - this was when the friend was about ten and didn't know better. She started seeing the unicorns on her wallpaper prance and the images on her cereal box wave at her, etc.) it's not common by any means, but it could happen.

eyenow

Can't. Stop. Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Patty, I see you started this thread a month ago, so you may have moved on by now. However, it has been reincarnated, so I will add to it! I did some research into hallucinations several years ago since one of my characters was in a similar situation, being driven to do things by her hallucinations. I sat down with my psych professor and we talked through a couple of real-life non-drug possibilities:

1. stroke or other brain injury - it's very common to have auditory or visual hallucinations after a stroke or TIA, and these may last for weeks, months, or years.
2. post-hypnotic suggestion - someone has previously hypnotized your character and implanted a suggestion that this snake is real and will appear every time a certain thing happens, e.g., he sees a certain person or hears a word, etc.

FYI, for my story I went with the hypnosis idea, because, I mean, hypnosis! Come on! But thinking back it probably could have been an interesting story with her unearthing some long-hidden history of a brain injury or something.

Anyway, hope this was helpful. I'd love to know what you decided to do with your character.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am back in the research forum because I need to look at my wagon train again, and saw this thread alive and kicking, woohoo!

At the moment I'm back to nightmares instead of hallucinations - Also I took out the visual component as someone here suggested. My MC has a tactile physical sensation when awake (sense of not being able to breathe; if you've had PTSD you may be familiar with this), and this becomes nightmarish when he is asleep.

I've decided it is PTSD scenario, but MC doesn't know it. He just knows he needs a doctor. The basis for his PTSD will probably come out in book two. I have it sorted, but the traumatic event precedes book 1 and doesn't fit with the theme anyway. but it fits well in the current idea for book 2.

I had ditched the ideas of nightmares originally, because it became too complicated to keep track of his various dream states. But I think it works now after making some structural changes and how the nightmares are introduced.

Anyway, thank you, big thank yous.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
It might be too much to have both hallucinations and nightmares in one character. Why would readers want to follow a character who constantly has problems conscious or asleep? It may be detrimental.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The hallucinations were replaced with nightmares in the current version. :) I edited above to help clarify that.

I think there are a couple ways to write - but this is a temporary derailment -

One can write 'what the reader wants to read' which is fine and good. Maybe don't be too beholden to that though.

Or ... write the story is that has been kicking around in one's psyche for twenty years. And don't be too beholden to this, either.

I'm excited to be learning a lot about writing, regardless.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It might be too much to have both hallucinations and nightmares in one character. Why would readers want to follow a character who constantly has problems conscious or asleep? It may be detrimental.

It didn't hurt the Harry Potter series.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig: Nah; Harry dreamed the entire series. No hallucinations! :roll: