"One of those..." verb agreement

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I have the following sentence in a manuscript:
"Yes, we are one of those disgustingly sweet families who regularly get together for an afternoon of board games."

An editor changed it to:
"Yes, we are one of those disgustingly sweet families who regularly gets together for an afternoon of board games."

But my understanding, from poking around on the web a bit (eg. here) is that the plural verb is correct. Am I missing something?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We is the subject. It's second person plural.

We get is correct.

The editor is confused by the phrase "one of those."

An easy check is to drop the non-essential phrase describing "we":

"Yes, we regularly get together for an afternoon of board games."

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We is the subject. It's second person plural.

We get is correct.

The editor is confused by the phrase "one of those."

And easy check is to drop the non-essential phrase describing "we":

"Yes, we regularly get together for an afternoon of board games."

+1

Will also mention that, for grammar, a trick taught to me here is to read it out loud. You can fix many errors that way.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. So I had it right after all...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I have the following sentence in a manuscript:
"Yes, we are one of those disgustingly sweet families who regularly get together for an afternoon of board games."

An editor changed it to:
"Yes, we are one of those disgustingly sweet families who regularly gets together for an afternoon of board games."

That is not correct. The subject is "we". We get together...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my current characters-in-progress would render this as "Yep, we are one of them there disgusting sweet families who regularlike get us together for a night of no-limit poker." But that probably doesn't help . . .

caw

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting one. Actually, "are" is the verb that agrees with the subject "we". "Get" is the verb of the subordinate clause, the subject of which is "who". Who can be either plural or singular. It depends on its antecedent. Syntactically its antecedent can be either "one", in which case it is singular, or "families", in which case it is plural. Adding to the confusion, a family is a noun that is syntactically singular but semantically plural.

But in this the intent is for the clause to modify "families". The sentence is meant to imply that all families who get together for board games are disgustingly sweet, not just this "one", which also happens to get together for board games.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
In the main clause, we is the subject and are is the verb.

The clause beginning with "who" is a relative clause referring to "one of those . . . families", which is singular.

I would write: " . . . one of those . . . families, which regularly gets together . . . ." or rewrite to ditch the relative clause and say something like "The member of my family regularly get together . . . ."