19th century boarding school + plumbing questions

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Hey, gang. I'm in the early stages of plotting out a book with a co-writer, and running into a wall. Our setting is a public boarding school in a fictional England town in the 1850s-60s (our timeline is pretty flexible so long as it's before crackdowns on Opium started). I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the plumbing situation would have been as far as baths and toilets. Would they still be relying on outdoor toilets? I'm assuming workers and lower-classman would be in charge of bringing in waters for baths.

If it matters, it's a wealthier school. And, honestly, anything about boarding schools in that time period in general would be great. I've found stuff from the early 1800s and the early-to-mid 1900s, but this specific time period is proving a little more difficult.

ny links and/or resources would be hugely appreciative!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that indoor plumbing wasn't the norm. Sewage, in fact, was still an issue and with the rapid growth of cities, it was pretty gross. I recommend the book Unmentionable-- it goes into Victorian habits of ALL types, bathing, toileting, etc. Super useful.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Tom Brown's Schooldays?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was just going to suggest Tom Brown's Schooldays. And also Stalky & Co. These books pretty much bracket your period - Hughes was writing in the 1850s about Rugby in the 1830s-40s, Kipling in the 1890s probably drawing on his experiences in the 1870s-80s.

IIRC there were schools in the mid-20c that didn't provide hot water & made the boys take cold showers. They were outliers in the 20c, possibly the norm a century before.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking there was a Louisa May Alcott book where a girl character wanted to give a little child a hot bath in the winter, and the kid ended up coming down with pneumonia (or aggravated his croup?), and the girl felt bad about being so foolish as to try and bathe someone in the wintertime. So I finally found some bathing snippets in Jack & Jill (1880, in the US). Sorry for the large amount of copypasta-- rather than having you try to hunt down the passages--

Jack’s hobby was athletic sports, for he was bent on having a strong and active body for his happy little soul to live and enjoy itself in. So a severe simplicity reigned in his apartment; in summer, especially, for then his floor was bare, his windows were uncurtained, and the chairs uncushioned, the bed being as narrow and hard as Napoleon’s. The only ornaments were dumbbells, whips, bats, rods, skates, boxing-gloves, a big bath-pan and a small library, consisting chiefly of books on games, horses, health, hunting, and travels. In winter his mother made things more comfortable by introducing rugs, curtains, and a fire. Jack, also, relented slightly in the severity of his training, occasionally indulging in the national buckwheat cake, instead of the prescribed oatmeal porridge, for breakfast, omitting his cold bath when the thermometer was below zero, and dancing at night, instead of running a given distance by day.

and

“Oh dear! why can’t boys play without making such a mess,” sighed Molly, picking up the feathers from the duster with which Boo had been trying to make a “cocky-doo” of the hapless dog. “I’ll wash him right after dinner, and that will keep him out of mischief for a while,” she thought, as the young engineer unsuspiciously proceeded to ornament his already crocky countenance with squash, cranberry sauce, and gravy, till he looked more like a Fiji chief in full war-paint than a Christian boy.“I want two pails of hot water, please, Miss Bat, and the big tub,” said Molly, as the ancient handmaid emptied her fourth cup of tea, for she dined with the family, and enjoyed her own good cooking in its prime.
“What are you going to wash now?”
“Boo—I’m sure he needs it enough;” and Molly could not help laughing as the victim added to his brilliant appearance by smearing the colors all together with a rub of two grimy hands, making a fine “Turner” of himself.
“Now, Maria Louisa Bemis, you ain’t going to cut up no capers with that child! The idea of a hot bath in the middle of the day, and him full of dinner, and croupy into the bargain! Wet a corner of a towel at the kettle-spout and polish him off if you like, but you won’t risk his life in no bath-tubs this cold day.”
Miss Bat’s word was law in some things, so Molly had to submit, and took Boo away, saying, loftily, as she left the room,—
“I shall ask father, and do it to-night, for I will not have my brother look like a pig.”
“My patience! how the Siamese do leave their things round,” she exclaimed, as she surveyed her room after making up the fire and polishing off Boo. “I’ll put things in order, and then mend up my rags, if I can find my thimble. Now, let me see;” and she went to exploring her closet, bureau, and table, finding such disorder everywhere that her courage nearly gave out.
She had clothes enough, but all needed care; even her best dress had two buttons off, and her Sunday hat but one string. Shoes, skirts, books, and toys lay about, and her drawers were a perfect chaos of soiled ruffles, odd gloves, old ribbons, boot lacings, and bits of paper.
“Oh, my heart, what a muddle! Mrs. Minot wouldn’t think much of me if she could see that,” said Molly, recalling how that lady once said she could judge a good deal of a little girl’s character and habits by a peep at her top drawer, and went on, with great success, to guess how each of the school-mates kept her drawer.
“Come, missionary, clear up, and don’t let me find such a glory-hole again, or I’ll report you to the society,” said Molly, tipping the whole drawer-full out upon the bed, and beguiling the tiresome job by keeping up the new play.
Twilight came before it was done, and a great pile of things loomed up on her table, with no visible means of repair,—for Molly’s work-basket was full of nuts, and her thimble down a hole in the shed-floor, where the cats had dropped it in their play.
“I’ll ask Bat for hooks and tape, and papa for some money to buy scissors and things, for I don’t know where mine are. Glad I can’t do any more now! Being neat is such hard work!” and Molly threw herself down on the rug beside the old wooden cradle in which Boo was blissfully rocking, with a cargo of toys aboard.
She watched her time, and as soon as her father had done supper, she hastened to say, before he got to his desk,—
“Please, papa, I want a dollar to get some brass buttons and things to fix Boo’s clothes with. He wore a hole in his new trousers coasting down the Kembles’ steps. And can’t I wash him? He needs it, and Miss Bat won’t let me have a tub.”
“Certainly, child, certainly; do what you like, only don’t keep me. I must be off, or I shall miss Jackson, and he’s the man I want;” and, throwing down two dollars instead of one, Mr. Bemis hurried away, with a vague impression that Boo had swallowed a dozen brass buttons, and Miss Bat had been coasting somewhere in a bath-pan; but catching Jackson was important, so he did not stop to investigate.
Armed with the paternal permission, Molly carried her point, and oh, what a dreadful evening poor Boo spent! First, he was decoyed upstairs an hour too soon, then put in a tub by main force and sternly scrubbed, in spite of shrieks that brought Miss Bat to the locked door to condole with the sufferer, scold the scrubber, and depart, darkly prophesying croup before morning.
“He always howls when he is washed; but I shall do it, since you won’t, and he must get used to it. I will not have people tell me he’s neglected, if I can help it,” cried Molly, working away with tears in her eyes—for it was as hard for her as for Boo; but she meant to be thorough for once in her life, no matter what happened.
When the worst was over, she coaxed him with candy and stories till the long task of combing out the curls was safely done; then, in the clean night-gown with a blue button newly sewed on, she laid him in bed, worn out, but sweet as a rose.
“Now, say your prayers, darling, and go to sleep with the nice red blanket all tucked round so you won’t get cold,” said Molly, rather doubtful of the effect of the wet head.
“No, I won’t! Going to sleep now!” and Boo shut his eyes wearily, feeling that his late trials had not left him in a prayerful mood.
“Then you’ll be a real little heathen, as Mrs. Pecq called you, and I don’t know what I shall do with you,” said Molly, longing to cuddle rather than scold the little fellow, whose soul needed looking after as well as his body.
“No, no; I won’t be a heevin! I don’t want to be frowed to the trockindiles. I will say my prayers! oh, I will!” and, rising in his bed, Boo did so, with the devotion of an infant Samuel, for he remembered the talk when the society was formed.
Molly thought her labors were over for that night, and soon went to bed, tired with her first attempts. But toward morning she was wakened by the hoarse breathing of the boy, and was forced to patter away to Miss Bat’s room, humbly asking for the squills, and confessing that the prophecy had come to pass.
“I knew it! Bring the child to me, and don’t fret. I’ll see to him, and next time you do as I say,” was the consoling welcome she received as the old lady popped up a sleepy but anxious face in a large flannel cap, and shook the bottle with the air of a general who had routed the foe before and meant to do it again.
Leaving her little responsibility in Miss Bat’s arms, Molly retired to wet her pillow with a few remorseful tears, and to fall asleep, wondering if real missionaries ever killed their pupils in the process of conversion.
So the girls all failed in the beginning; but they did not give up, and succeeded better next time, as we shall see.

I would call the people who fetched cans of hot water "housemaids", unless your school has a school-specific term for housekeeping-servants (like Oxford has its "scouts", Cambridge has its "bedders", Trinity College in Dublin has its "skips", etc.)

re: toilets, if it was in the US, I would expect outhouses, but I don't know so much about what was the norm in small-town Britain. I do know that flush toilets were generally pretty rare during that time period, in favor of chamber pots. This considerably postdates your time period by being based on Edwardian-era rules, but you'd presume the basics to be similar:

Hallboy and Second Footman - Daily Duties
You must then empty the chamber pots of all the male Servants, and wash them around with a soaked rag kept for that purpose.

Second and Third Housemaid - Daily Duties
While lighting fires in the Family's Bedrooms, you should empty and clean their chamber pots with a vinegar soaked rag kept for this purpose.

Scullery Maid - Daily Duties
You must then empty the chamber pots of all the female Servants, and wash them around with a vinegar soaked rag kept only for this purpose.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I have Tom Brown's Schooldays on my list of movies to watch! And the book, too, if the movie doesn't quite cut it. (It rarely does.)

@lonestarlibrarian, this is SUPER helpful. Thank you so very much for taking the time to dig that up for me!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For your purposes, a movie of Tom Brown's Schooldays will definitely not cut it. Not only do they mess with the storyline, they leave out pretty much every useful detail about life in the school. You want the book.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
There's Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens, with Dotheboys hall. (Deliberately named Do the boys by Dickens for good reason.) Abuse was widespread in some schools and there was very little accountability.

Public schools are very wealthy by definition ("public" meaning anyone who pays the fee can send their kid there - but only the wealthiest can afford the fees). But the ruling classes that send their kids there have always had this attitude that school is supposed to toughen their boys up, so cold showers may have been preferred even if hot water was available, because it's character forming.

Corporal punishment was banned in state schools in the 80s, however according to the wikipedia article on British public schools it wasn't actually banned in independent schools in England until 1999 and even later than that in Scotland. It seems bizarre that people who are paying a huge pile of cash for their kids' education would approve of such things, but maybe it's the whole "character forming" thing. Anyway, I'd find it totally believable if the boys got hosed down with cold water and had to use freezing, outdoor latrines because it's character forming. "Fagging" (younger boys being like a personal servant of older boys) and corporal punishment were normal (and according to the wikipedia article, fagging wasn't banned until the 1970s).

I agree with the recommendation of Tom Brown's Schooldays. Haven't read it, but it's near enough autobiographical (AFAIK slightly fictionalised) and the writer went to Rugby school in the era that your story's set. Also, if you click on the link above to the wikipedia page on fagging, there's a list of books/memoirs that have reference to fagging in public schools - which would be useful resources for other aspects of public schools.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Are there boarding school scenes in Jane Eyre? It was published in the mid 1800s so it should be helpful.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Having attended one such school I am aware of the schools history. In this period discipline was very much developed to the prefects and could be tyrannical

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the idea of hosing down with cold water - not least due to the limited water supply and it often being relatively low pressure. Caning was the norm. "Six of the best". Each schoolmaster had their own cane. One control on punishment was canings only being done in the staff room and witnessed by other masters - who could stop it if they thought the kid was being hit too hard. (First hand account of someone I knew.)
Caning usually delivered on backside, but for one or two strokes might be across the hand. Rapping on knuckles with a ruler was another one - not as formal as caning.
When I was at school there were several masters known for the accuracy with which they could throw a small piece of chalk and bounce it off some kid who was whispering to another kid, staring out the window or in some other way not paying attention. The alternative was an accurately tossed blackboard rubber (cloth pad on a wooden backing) landing with a crash on the desk in front of the kid - and then producing a cloud of chalk dust. We all took it as great entertainment. Didn't happen that often, maybe a couple of times a month.

There are also a variety of outdoor toilets.
There could be seats over cans - the can getting emptied periodically - in the early 20th century there were corporation muck-carts that came round the back lanes (a row of terraced houses faced the street, had gardens behind them, then the outhouse at the end, right next to the back lane with a gate through to it. The back of the houses on the next street would be the other side of the back lane.
Seat over a hole dug in the ground. (More a country thing where you have the space to dig a new hole when the old one was full.)
Fully plumbed but still outdoor - a separate building from the school rooms - my rural primary school was in late Victorian buildings and you had to put on a coat in winter to go out to the loo. Run across the playground to the toilet building. My first secondary school was old buildings too - with a block with changing rooms and toilets - some covered walkways to get to them, otherwise open paths.
There was also the variant which wasn't individual flushing toilets, but a row of cubicles with a wooden shelf with seats in it, and a concrete trough underneath with water either running continuously down it, or with regular automatic flushes, so everything floated down the trough under the bottoms down stream. Popular game would be crumpling up a piece of newspaper, setting fire to it and sending it to float under the downstream bottoms. That is the sort of thing that caning would be handed out for if the perpetrator was caught. One or two strokes, not the full six. (Stories of an older relative.)

Incidentally - there is a dormitory scene at the Assassins School in Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids" - which is a direct tribute to a scene in a dormitory at the boarding school in Tom Brown's School Days (and it is doubly funny if you've read Tom Brown's School Days)

One other thought on boarding schools and public schools - there are different emphasises at some of the schools, some typified by the school motto. For example Manners Maketh Man at Winchester School - http://www.winchestercollege.org/education
Gordonstoun is keen on outdoor activities - http://www.gordonstoun.org.uk/

Last edited:

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Thank you again for all these great responses. I've taken note of all of these and I'm loading some of the books onto my phone to get to reading. :) You're all lifesavers.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Oh - all schoolmasters would wear their academic gown over their clothes when teaching. Not necessarily the degree hood, though that would be worn for morning assembly as would the mortar board. Wearing the black academic robe over your day clothes did keep the chalk dust off, I was told.
Morning assembly would be the usual - singing a couple of hymns, prayers, possibly a short homily from the head master, school notices, and general warnings - as in "do not run in the corridors, I have heard boys doing that" or "I have seen boys outside the school in their uniform who had loosened their ties. This is unacceptable. Repeat offenders will be caned." etc.
In my day if you were not Christian, or a Christian sect that disagreed with C of E type assembly, then you were allowed to sit out - as in wait in a classroom elsewhere. No idea if that was the case in the Victorian period. Bear in mind being a Catholic was still a political hot potato - Catholics weren't allowed to hold public office until the Catholic Emancipation Act. Dissenters (Methodist etc) were not that popular either. Being not Church of England protestant - Methodist, Baptist, Anabaptist etc was socially regarded as lower class - you were "chapel" not "church". Most places had both chapels and churches and you mostly had a clear social divide in who went where - but someone who was socially climbing might switch from chapel to church. One other wrinkle to that - employers might expect their employees to go to the same church/chapel they did - and if church you'd be talking the pews right at the back.

Last edited: