Romantic Shorthand?

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Hello ladies! (And other gentlefolks!)

I'm a long, long way from my usual writing habits at this end of the board. I might need a hunting dog and an ouija board to find my way back...

But while I'm here, I'm totally going to solicit some suggestions for 1) solid material for writing sympathetic relationships, and 2) shorthand ways of selling a reader on an established couple's relationship.

TL;DR, my current WIP involves a married couple who run afoul of a nasty creature who has nefarious plans for him and mostly just wants to get rid of her, but can't immediately for Plot Reasons. The nasty creature employs what is apparently a too-effective gaslighting campaign and splits them apart... ...to the point where my crit partners hate him, want her to leave him, think he should die, etc.

Thus item #2. Are there general strategies you've employed in the past or seen done very effectively somewhere that cement a relationship mentally for you really early on?

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
If they have to fight a common enemy early on, that can help a reader see their relationship as close from the start.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Esmae, could you provide a little additional info? At what point does the gaslight-split happen? Because to my mind, if you have an established couple, the word "established" indicates we already see them together in the story. If their togetherness doesn't establish the strength of their relationship, you'd have to short that up. If this gaslighting happens in chapter 1, and "established" is merely "they'd been happily together for 6 years" then it would be a different issue/solution. Understanding the timeline might lead to more meaningful assistance with item #2.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Esmae, could you provide a little additional info? At what point does the gaslight-split happen? Because to my mind, if you have an established couple, the word "established" indicates we already see them together in the story. If their togetherness doesn't establish the strength of their relationship, you'd have to short that up. If this gaslighting happens in chapter 1, and "established" is merely "they'd been happily together for 6 years" then it would be a different issue/solution. Understanding the timeline might lead to more meaningful assistance with item #2.

It starts about in beginning of my second act, so about 20% through, and gets progressively worse until 75% or so. They haven't been 100% happy; they're living with his sister when the story picks up because of various financial problems, but they're not supposed to be a hot mess. But evidently I didn't adequately convince anyone of their chemistry in that first segment and I'm at a bit of a loss for how to polish it up for the next go 'round.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Is he too willing to go along with the gaslighting? Maybe it would help if he's somewhat resistant, at least at first? Without seeing anything, I would guess it might possibly be a matter of balance, where the husband is doing the nasty creature's dirty work, but the wife is not, thereby putting her in the role of victim and sympathetic?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Oh, wow. OK, you've got quite a hill to climb. 1/2 a book of him being turned against her is a lot to overcome, and "Not a hot mess" implies they're a bit of a mess, which introduces both relationship stress points, and natural skepticism to the reader. This conflict should probably be a solid foreshadowing of how they operate together, especially under duress, so your readers remember what they're like when there isn't an antagonist interfering. It sounds like you have to buy some benefit-of-doubt. (Sorry to be so wordy here. Skip to the bottom for the shorthand. :))

Just spit-balling some ideas here, because it's going to depend on what concept you want to use to get them back together (I'm assuming you DO want them back together or her leaving him would be fine.) Evelyn's suggestion is a good one, but maybe instead of a physical enemy, the enemy is what is making them "not 100% happy." Say, for example, it's finances. You would show them confronting that together, him sacrificing something he really wants or possibly needs for her to have something she wants or possibly needs, or show him doing every small thing to demonstrate his feelings for her--picks wildflowers for her because he can't afford to buy them from a street vendor they see when out together, or whatever. I think he's definitely going to have to demonstrate some "sacrifice" on her behalf. Frex, not, "I'm not buying this video game because money" but rather, "I was going to buy [X game] I really wanted but I saw they had a used version of [Y game] and I know it's your all-time favorite so let's play!" Not that exact thing, of course, but that level of his mindfulness, which should build reader-trust in him. (And also build reader emotion when they see him being transformed by the antagonist.)

They could also work together on something, maybe something his sister does or says. Not *against* his sister (as they would an "enemy"--you don't want to sow distrust in them as an empathetic couple--but maybe they have to work together so they can to alleviate her issue. Even so small a thing as never leaving a dish in the sink. They cover each other.

Then, of course, there's the romance side. You don't have to have a sex scene, but stealing kisses, or him expressing his desire and attraction in a way that doesn't seem opportunistic or shallow. Or him noticing something only he would notice because they know each other intimately. (I don't mean physically intimately, although that could be a thing, too. I mean he knows her every mood and facial expression. Maybe she has a pre-menstrual migraine, and he can tell she's hurting just by the pattern of lines by her eyes or something.) And then show him *doing* something nice for her.

So, I guess, tl;dr would be

1) sacrifice on his part (since he's the one who will turn against the relationship)
2) show how they work together on a common battle
3) make him extremely likeable vis-à-vis his feelings for her

eta: Carrie's point about how he behaves during the gaslighting is important, too. He needs to struggle during that transformation. If you've laid the groundwork in the first 25% of how he responds to her normally (in positive ways), then you give glimpses of him questioning himself during the gaslighting that hearken back his natural tendencies in the early scenes, readers should be able to reset their feelings for him (if he hasn't done anything too horrible.)

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Is he too willing to go along with the gaslighting? Maybe it would help if he's somewhat resistant, at least at first? Without seeing anything, I would guess it might possibly be a matter of balance, where the husband is doing the nasty creature's dirty work, but the wife is not, thereby putting her in the role of victim and sympathetic?

She is very much the victim!

The centerpiece of this issue is a haunting; the ghost very quickly realizes she's more open-minded than her husband, who is extremely well-grounded in reality. Every time she experiences something he's quick to jump to the rational explanation. It's an old house, bad pipes, bad wires, bad ventilation, etc., and their employer, the bad guy, is super quick with the reality-maintaining backup: he's lived here for decades, of course there's no ghost, poor wife must not be adjusting to living here very well, is her mental health okay, etc. There's also some supernatural stuff being applied to him in the background, but his rationality is in some respects a character flaw. In the beginning he thinks he's helping her out by calming her fears about living in a creepy old house in the middle of nowhere, but by the time there's what would otherwise be really hard proof of paranormal activity he's been convinced that she's out of her mind (and thus she's the one who has been doing things.)

Her arc goes the other direction; she starts out skeptical too, and does start out wondering if she's losing her grip mentally, but her experiences are different and by the time the hard proof shows up she's fully aware that it's all real.

But even before that they (my crit partners) were questioning their relationship, the stability of their marriage, what they see in each other, and so on and so forth. (ElaineA snuck her awesome answer in before I got to this point but it ties in nicely.) Apparently my big fail is earning that starting benefit-of-doubt, hence my quest for shorthand for that buy-in on their relationship. I have way less space to build up than I have devoted to tearing them apart.

These suggestions are super helpful though.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
Well the most effective way I've read for established couple usually is when the couple is introduced in a previous/another story. However, for the first time meeting the couple and it's the first/only story, I usually like it when there are flashbacks (ie. when they first met; first kiss; first time he or she knew the person was the one). Generally, any happy period flashback to help sell the love. Also clearly defining where it all went wrong -what was it that caused such a gap in their relationship to make the relationship so strained.

I know better the things that don't work for me ...like when the problem between the couple is a big misunderstanding which could be cleared up if they simply talked. Or throwing in sex scenes to resolve an argument.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've created a formidable villain! If your villain's gaslighting campaign were easy to see through, then it would be easy for the heroine to see though, and she would be too stupid to live for ever falling for it, and it would be no great feat to finally overcome it.

So now you have your work cut out for you to make your heroes a match for your villain, and convince your readers as well as your heroine. Not sure any established basis for the relationship will do the job, as the past fades. The hero's actions within the story will speak louder than the villain's words.