Is microsoft word2010 sufficient?

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
At this time I have a document of about 7000 words with photos on word2010. Some sources state that I should use other software, such as scriviner, etc for the book. Will I be able to get away with word2010? Does it depend on who I go with and what they will require?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Most publishers want MS Word format for submissions.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any word processing program that can save in .doc or .docx format is sufficient for most publishers. You should be fine.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
MS Word is great for text only ebooks (assuming you are talking about an ebook) but it does not play well with pictures and tables for that purpose. You would be better served with an HTML or EPUB editor.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I also use Word 2007 for publication of public domain stuff, not of my authorship, some of which includes graphics, and it works fine, IF you know how to use its features. Therein lies the problem, of course, in that many of its more powerful and specialized features are hidden behind layers of stupidly unintuitive and unobvious multi-level menu choices and/or multi-finger keystrokes, none of which you'll find much help with from Microsoft's astoundingly arcane "Help" system. MS-Word is really a very powerful tool, and worthy of spending time and frustration in learning in depth. Much the same can be said for MS-Excel.

And, in case you don't know about this, screen-capture utility (Shift-Print Screen on the keyboard) is immensely useful for graphic work.

caw

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished processing all 290+ literary agent entries at the Literary Market Place Web site (to learn what agents I want to focus on, and what submission guidelines they require). Word (any version) seems to be the desired file type (.doc or .docx). The only problem you may have is if you use dynamic features (like Equations in Word 2010) and have to save it to an older version of Word for someone using Word 2002/XP or earlier. These users can only read static documents of Word (.doc). Assume everyone is using Word 2003 or later, and be certain to send .docx if you use special features like check boxes or equations.