Confused about editors from different sources

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to find editors through reedsy. I submitted a request on their website and so far they have all declined my request. Then I found the Editorial Freelance Association. I decided to post a job thinking that I wouldn't get any responses, based on what happened at reedsy. Suddenly I received about 80 responses to the job post. So what happened? What's the difference between the freelance editors and the editors on reedsy?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hungrier. :)

Seriously, you need to really research any editor you are considering hiring. Know what you want and what they can, and will, deliver. There are vast differences between a line edit and a story development editor. Don't ever hire a proofreader and expect them to correct plot holes. Know what you're paying for, and who you're paying it to. And above all, make sure the editor speaks, and writes, English, or whatever language you are planning to write in. Can't believe the number of editors who reply to job postings and don't even exhibit a grasp of spelling or grammar.

As for actual differences, Reedsy is somewhat exclusive and editors get reviewed before they can be a Reedsy editor. EFA editors simply coughed up the membership fee. Reedsy is based in the UK I believe, have no idea where EFA is based, or where their editors are from.

By the way, have you tried looking for an editor on Absolute Write?

Jeff

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
Not yet. An editor gave me some advice which was to register on here and get it read by a beta reader before I present it to an editor.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As liz said in the other thread, your best bet would be to start critiquing others' work in the Share Your Work sections (password: vista).

You will learn a ton by reading and critiquing other work, even if you think you don't know enough to critique -- just offer what you have, whether it's a feeling about something, an error you notice, that you just love something or don't, or anything else.

Once you've got 50 posts, you can put up a short excerpt of your own for critique, and you'll find out if you're ready for beta readers. There may be things you can or should work on yourself, things you realize you want to change, errors you make that you can fix, etc. Doing all that will help you become a member of the community and when you're ready for betas, you'll have people who offer, who you know and can work with well.