• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

A few different things I do to fight writers block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ookI)ragon

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome to see it has it's own tab!
This is a long rant with my own opinions on writers block.

Music is my main get go for writers block. I tend to use Epic music though as I feel there are so many different emotions and the vocals can just put a story, scene or character in my head. My main Youtube channel for this is Jennyni20 and then I just let youtube take me where it wants. I used to use 8track, but now it's only a paid service and has dropped in members significantly so it's running low on good playlists. Sometimes I will use Iheart or Pandora, but they're not really all that great in finding music.. i don't know what the system is but no matter what, linkin park and justin beiber are on every single on of my channels despite always down voting them. So I have a playlist for each character and each story on youtube.

I see a lot of people say sticking to one story at a time helps.. but not for me.. at all. I have my Baby- 5 years in the making, a Fanfiction for HarryPotter and Dragon Age, and then my current work that is very set on learning to structure a novel. And that does not include my.. dirty shorts, which I just work on and post at random, but I can have a few of those going at once.

ROLEPLAY! This is such an ignored side to writing and I don't know why. Personally I do find it hard to rp with other people, especially when they have different views on what is good RP. Me, I like story, please give me deep detailed story with more than one other person. Short two mans, with them correcting every little grammar, spelling or punctuation mistake drives me up the wall and I lose interest very quickly. I tend to figure out my characters this way, finding names and filling out the information lists for the character and then if the site allows, I RP with all my characters together. Just random stuff, playing in the Realms story and having people comment on my characters is pretty awesome.

Another form of creation. I am a very artsy person. I read, write, draw, paint in different forms, I knitt I do other arts and crafts, I make chocolate. Something I can mind blank on and let my mind wander. usually I try to paint something to do with my stories, Ravens have been a big thing for me lately along with water Lilys. I have this weird addiction of painting on boxes with acrylics, I keep my loose paper in one, my extra erasers, led and paper clips in another. My different paints in my main one that I am almost finished with :D

BE ORGANIZED! everyone has their own way of organizing. I use both boxes and binders.. okay I use everything. My main go to is handwriting and using Google Docs because I can create a crap ton of folders. Story, characters, scenes, word counts, then I have one main page when I open a specific story that I make a link for each page and give a small summary of what is on the page. Just a title for the document does not help in the slightest, I am always all over. I don't really use any writing programs besides write or die when i am in the mood, that is usually just when I am transferring some handwritten stuff to my google docs, because i get distracted very easily. I just really love my Google docs, especially now that it has an offline app on my android phone.. love it. i go out of internet a lot. So I still tend to handwrite a lot. I have multicolored pens, highlighters, sticky notes in different colours, different coloured paper clips..

READ!!! I mean really, obvious much? haha.

Play a video game! yeah people laugh at me when I say this, but I loooove dragon age. I replay and replay and replay... and I haven't beaten it yet.. >.> shhh.. I just got the guide books for one and two haha, but they have such a great variety of vocabulary it really gets my mind going, plus all the really deep characters is awesome. i have the Skyrim guidebook, because it helps me with world building.. a lot. thinking of the plants and potions and food and weapons, it has such extensive lists and good descriptions for the different classes and races. I am not really a gaming person mind you, before I started playing league of legends and skyrim, my go to console was Sega genesis... Sonic and Knuckles!

Exercise!!! It drives me up the wall when someone is cooonstantly complaining about the block when all they do is sit in front of their netflix and eat junk.. well yeah your brain isn't functioning.. no wonder.. *rollseyes* So please, please, please. Go for a walk, lift some easy weights, i'm not even saying you should break a sweat. I do aerobic dance videos from youtube, sure I can only get like 10 minutes in at one time, but it really gets me going. i tend to just use my little ten pound weights and just do arm curls or side planks because it's cold and I don't want to go outside xD Eat better foods and drink water! water water! no additive flavorings or junk just plain old water.

and last but not least, make it a Priority. I know, I know work, school, kids, whatever your excuse is, you'll use it to get out of writing, because, well you can. You fill in any free time by playing games on your phone or going on social media instead of writing. I do it too. But it is all about Priority. really. it really is. I know people hate to hear it, but it is 100% your choice to write or not. I can read three books in a day and hit 5000 words, why? because it is my highest priority (that day *cough cough* >.>). i still have chores, I still cook, I still take care of my pets, I still do my homework. i do not have kids because, well I really dont like kids. i am a very selfish person :p sorry. On those days I just exclude everything else, i don't play video games, i ignore social media, i don't even touch my phone. While I'm cleaning I have a notebook nearby and jot down any notes, when i break, I'm reading. Have you ever sat down and really counted the minutes of every day that you spend on social media or on your phone or other stupid stuff? those little few minutes really add up. I am a toilet reader, if I'm on the toilet I am reading. maybe too much info, but that's quite a bit of idle wasted time, especially if you are drinking the correct amount of water. :p
Those are all my Main Go To's on writers block, yeah I still get it, stress is a powerful thing, but making writing a bigger priority in your life can really help. The only thing worse is... getting expelled.

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
Some good advice here. A lot of it, especially the excercise and drinking water, will improve your life and well being in general, not just your writing.

Kyanite

Registered
Reaction score
This is all really great advice. I recently got stuck about 20% of the way in on a full length manuscript and have found that if I write for a 45 minutes or so, and then take time to get on my treadmill and plod along while reading, I'm inspired again in 10-20 minutes.

I also tried to start journaling. I write about my day, whatever comes to mind, just before either turning out the light, or reading. If I can recall dreams when I wake up, I immediately journal them down before I even get out of bed. This seems to keep my creativity peaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.