Not sure where to ask this - - Program to spot repetitive words?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So I am stopping in the break room to ask.

What's the best (or a good) tool to find repetitive use of words? Obviously not the common words like 'the,' but the distinctive words that we unconsciously echo within our writing?

I see two with a quick google:

~WordCounter (add on for Word)

~TextSTAT

And a lot of my friends use Scrivener but I don't know if it has a word frequency counter. What do you use and like? Is it free and easy and compatible with Word?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I have words I tend to use overmuch. What I do is, once I've finished, I do a 'find' (top right of the toolbar in Word), searching for whole words only, to see how many times I've used that particular word. The beauty of that is, you can go through your document and change the word to something else, or leave it if it really does suit and then resume and Word will take you right to the next occurence.

I have problems with get, got, and thing. *g* I don't use the 'whole words only' filter for thing because I need to know when I've used 'something' or 'anything' when I should have found a better word.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just do a search in MSWord. They all come up. Anything beyond this, if you already use word, I would just consider gimmicky. MSWord does the trick.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like Wordle. It's just a simple tool that gives you a visual image of the words you most frequently use, and it doesn't hurt that the image is beautiful to boot.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I just do a search in MSWord. They all come up. Anything beyond this, if you already use word, I would just consider gimmicky. MSWord does the trick.

I have to define the word, yes? So if I am unaware that I am using the word "finicky" multiple times on a page, and I don't specifically search for it, I'll miss it... ? is there a tool in word that will find my blind spots?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Wordle looks interesting. I will need to update java.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Going to port this to Tech; please keep your hands and feet inside while the vehicle is in motion.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using Text Analyzer a lot. It's simple, you don't have to download anything, you just paste your whole text into the box on their website and press the button. It will come unfiltered, so you get all the 'the's and 'to's counted, too - but you just scroll down till you get to the nouns and prepositions etc. I've discovered I tend to use 'down' and 'back' a lot for instance… You also get phrases counted, from 2 to 8 words – that has been very helpful to me. I had no idea I had pet expressions and phrases until I got them counted like this.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
I jam my stuff into Pro Writing Aid if I feel like having an external helping hand. It's not perfect for all things, but it can point out overused words, inconsistencies, long sentences, repetitive sentence starts, etc–and that's handy. It is a paid program, but compared to some more modern and shiny versions of basically the same thing coughAutoCritcough the price is low, AND you can use it on 500 words for free whenever you want. Which of course would be very tedious for an entire novel. But you can use it for free.

Or, you can figure out overused words yourself and use Find. I like to use apps to give me an idea of what I need to fix, and then do the actual work in Scrivener. For example, using an app I figured out multiple phrases I leaned on, and just found them and jiggered them around to better fit the surrounding, instead of just replacing with automatic suggestions. But, for things that are hard to use Find on, like repetitive sentence starts, I find the app comes in handy.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Scrivener for Mac, go to Project > Statistics... > choose either Compiled or Selected Documents > Word Frequency. You can sort the list by either alphabetical order or by number.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
NoteTab has a feature that gives statistics for words and punctuation. Since it's a plain text editor, you have to save-as or copy/paste for a count. I've found it very helpful. Just get the free version. There seem to be quite a few online word frequency counters these days; just searchify a bit.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have long kept a list of words/phrases/prefixes/suffixes that I have learned I overuse. I add to it every now and then. I use it when I'm editing, and it is very helpful.

caw

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I usually use http://www.writewords.org.uk/word_count.asp. It gives the frequency of each word. I haven't compared it to others. There's an option for phrases too (combinations of a specified number of words). It's online, and I don't know if it has a word limit. You could do it in batches if necessary.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Those are awesome. I've done about 8000 words now and looks like 'remember' and 'down' were not anywhere on my radar yet. Also 'favorite,' 'face,' and 'back.'

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
Well i do something to help with this. It is a bit of a backward method but it works. If you have a worpress installation anywhere , on a domain or even just on a localhost ( not live ) you get the yoast plugin. Yoast is a seo plugin but one of the very cool things about it is
it analyses your content just an example of what it gives as an output :

1 subheading is followed by more than the recommended maximum of 300 words. Try to insert another subheading.
28.1% of the sentences contain a transition word or phrase, which is less than the recommended minimum of 30%.
The copy scores 62.8 in the Flesch Reading Ease test, which is considered ok to read.
None of the paragraphs are too long, which is great.
24.6% of the sentences contain more than 20 words, which is less than or equal to the recommended maximum of 25%.
8.8% of the sentences contain passive voice, which is less than or equal to the recommended maximum of 10%.

As for words you can use any keyword density checker tool , usually they will give you a percentage of your word vs your content. While there is no magic density for a chosen word i have looked at some good content and found that they are always around 1.5 % to 2 % this is probably the more natural usage of that particular word.
This is that is the focus of whatever is being written.

If the word you are concerned about is not the focus of you piece i expect the percentage would be even lower than that.

Last edited: