Why did my fantasy characters fall in love?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The love at first sight thread got me to wondering why my MC and a secondary character fell in love. It happened over several conversations between them, and about a month or two of their time.

She's distrustful of him when they first meet because he comes from a place in the fantasy world that has hurt her.

He dislikes her when they meet because she is arrogant. She also reminds him of his horrible mother, but unlike his mother, she has redeeming qualities.

I did not intentionally set them up to fall in love. They truly did it on their own, every time they talked, the conversations wrote themselves. I kept telling them they aren't allowed to fall in love, but they did anyway.

Because...

-> She realized he was a good guy, even though he's from 'that bad place' and perhaps some of the affection on her side is that he can help to right the wrong that 'that place' suffered upon her. Plus he starts doing things for her, which is new for her. So, she sort of falls for the guy.

-> He realized that she has the sort of passion that he wanted for himself (he's mostly running from stuff) - and perhaps he has mommy issues (well, yeah, he does.) And since this young woman has redemptive qualities, her similarities to mom are, like, OK.

Question:

Did i fall into a trope?

More broadly, do your characters sometimes fall in love when you don't expect them too?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tropes. Well in my mind everything is a trope, you can't get away from it. All the scenarios have been played out over and over, what matters is how you tell the story and make us care about the people in your work.

I haven't had anybody in my work fall in love without expecting it. I knew when I was writing who they were going to end up with and where they were going. But I've had characters develop and change over time or new important people pop up.

So the answer to your question, Did I fall into a trope? I would say yes. But that isn't bad. With millions of books out there its rare for anyone to surprise me, I can usually peg what is going to happen pretty fast, but if I like the writing and I'm sucked in I enjoy the ride.

Like a roller coaster. From the ground you can see all the loops and turns etc, but that doesn't stop you from enjoy the ride and being surprised when you come sailing around a corner. Seeing the ride laid out doesn't detract from it. :) That would be my analogy for a trope.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like both characters have the right kind of internal/external conflicts that would make for good romance. :)

More broadly, do your characters sometimes fall in love when you don't expect them too?

I love when contradictory characters fall in love because it leaves so much room for exploration... it's like holding a light to a dark place when one is something that the other isn't. If that happened organically in you writing, I say go with it! (The only down side is that you might end up getting extra novels out of it... oh no!)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I don't necessarily see two characters falling in love as a trope. I call it something that happens in your story. :)

Tropes have gotten a bad rap that I think is undeserved. Tropes are basically shorthand for things that can happen in a story, and they exist because they permeate storytelling. They're like bones in a story; when those bones are badly-fleshed out then yeah, you get something trite and hackneyed. The key is to do a good job fleshing out your bones.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like you were following a story pattern or an idea that felt more right/interested you more. I'm notorious for carefully crafting a love interest, and then discarding them immediately when drafting. Recent example. Female MC meets male LI in very "he's the LI" way and by chapter 3 they're kind of friends. By chapter 13 they're still just friends. In chapter 25 new character, female from MC's past is introduced and all of a sudden she is the love interest and the story ends with them beginning a relationship, planned, plotted, and characterized LI left by the wayside.

I'd say that even if you wrote yourself into a trope, it's one you like since you accidentally found your way there. Tropes aren't bad if they're used for good and not evil.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

So the trope part is fine, cool. The internal/external conflict idea is really neat too, gonna ruminate on that.

S. Eli, that story is very intriguing to me. Poor LI, poor guy, discarded! but yay for true love for the MC!

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Question:

Did i fall into a trope?

Yes, you did, but it's probably impossible to write a coherent and relatable story that doesn't incorporate some familiar tropes. Tropes resonate with people, which is why they show up often enough to be catalogued. The question is really whether you do it well and convincingly enough for it to work for readers in your target audience, and whether or not your approach was fresh enough that readers won't be thinking of it as a cliche. The main thing that bugs me about "boy meets girl" tropes is when the girl is nothing more than a plot device and isn't a fully fleshed and developed character in her own right (or when the only thing the guy seems to care about. the only basis of attraction, is her appearance).

Actually, I tend to find stories where no one falls for anyone, or where there aren't (at least) some pretty intense feelings and dynamics between characters in other kinds of relationships, to be rather dull and flat. The way people feel about one another (and the relationships that develop between characters as a story progresses) are a reflection of who they are, and caring for others creates stakes that make characters' choices and dilemmas more compelling.

I'm always baffled by people who say they hate romantic subplots because the characters should be too busy solving the story's main problems to have time to fall in love. In my experience, falling in love is something that nearly always happens when two people who are "too busy" cross paths and develop feelings in spite of that. Shared adversity actually makes it more likely that feelings will develop.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Roxy,

This secondary character is (in some ways) stealing the show, I think because I didn't give her an arc, so she ends up being a fireball that everyone reacts to. In some ways she is the hero, but she isn't, but she is. I mean, she has an arc, but it was muted and came from the plot. So I'm real happy with her - she leaves me 'wanting more' of her, but I don't plan to indulge that because wanting more is a great place to be.

My next revision round is to increase the tension throughout the entirety of the piece. I really like your comments about relational impacts. I am going to include that on the list of 'tension increasing details' to pay attention to. There are a few characters that fall flat in the story, and maybe what they need is more relational tension.

Thanks again!

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Patty, a random thought I had about tropes - they're like cooking ingredients. If you're making a pizza from scratch, basil will always be delicious. Too much salt is disgusting. I personally like garlic, if it's roasted. Someone told me once about a fig and prosciutto pizza--never once in my life would I have thought of that on my own.

So it's worthwhile to see what ingredients are common, what combinations and how much are frequently used. It's useful to look at other people's recipes and see where you can innovate.

When I plot, I love browsing through tropes for ideas (ummm one of my guilty pleasures is the deadpan writing on TVtropes) because I'm often like, "Ooh, why didn't I think to include some of that?" I think it's riskier to use tropes unconsciously because that's when they run the risk being pure cliche.

How much culture we consume also fascinates me. It was humbling when I started dorking out on tropes because I realized the scope of what I had swallowed unconsciously. We're all also drawn to the genres we like (readers too) for the common threads they share. Giving people what they want isn't a bad thing... especially if you want money.

I'm always baffled by people who say they hate romantic subplots because the characters should be too busy solving the story's main problems to have time to fall in love.

The stories that leave out romantic subplots when they clearly should have been developed are a huge source of personal angst for me. (And probably all of Archive of Our Own, but I digress. ;) )

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this thread has me thinking good new thoughts - I need to integrate more of the actual experience of the interpersonal stuff that's going on. Example: when our heroine lists against her brother for support, he is warm and solid and he smells like home - and I didn't even think to mention *any* of that.

Next revision: Amp up the tension overall, and be sure to include the interpersonal stuff even if is just a nod here and there to the warmth of contact. (Of course I could introduce a sex fantasy... this is intriguing. I don't think I will, but I will definitely consider it.)

I like the recipe analogy, did you know that I used it earlier today? teehee but in a different context. Now I want pizza, darn it all.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with romantic subplots in the face of adversity (and given this is the romance forum you're kind of expecting the main characters to fall in love), but I don't like it when characters who happen to be single for whatever reason are forced into one just because. Annoying as the romance that fails to develop despite all the signs is the one that happens despite the absence of any mutual chemistry or signs of attraction, just because characters apparently aren't allowed to remain single.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
I agree tropes are hard to get away from but as long as you are creative with your storytelling it doesn't really matter. As far as having characters change love interest, it sort of happens to me. When I start writing, I don't fully know my characters well so as they and the plot develop, sometimes the characters change too. Like when I initially began with current WIP (about three years ago) the heroine was quite impulsive and whimsical so I viewed her as being quite young initially and the hero was the stoic warrior alpha type so I viewed him as quite older. However, as I plotted along, my characters age switched though not necessarily their demeanor. But this caused a shift in the way they met to change to a way I had vaguely planned another couple meeting, but it totally suited them better. This has caused me to scrape much of my story but what can you do, you can only write what comes to you :Shrug: