Citing in creative nonfiction

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope here is acceptable.

In my creative nonfiction work for general audiences, should I cite my sources beyond, "The New York Times says, X"? How? Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I would cite everything properly, but then I'm pedantic.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Say that, but footnote it. However, in creative non-fic, it can help keep the flow moving if the notes are in a group at the end. In which case, they're technically end notes rather than footnotes.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, both!

Last edited:

Boethius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vinemaple.net
Whether you footnote or cite sources is up to you. Footnoting and citing sources slows down your readers, but they make the writing more credible. Unless you are writing for a peer-reviewed journal, or for a publisher who demands that you follow house rules, you get to make the rules for yourself.

Most publishers are not shy about telling you the rules if you ask, and rejecting your work if you don't follow their rules, but when you are self-publishing or working with a publisher that is not doctrinaire, you get to make the rules yourself or make them up with your editor.

Following a style guide like the Chicago Manual of Style, or the APA guide is an easy way to be consistent, but that is up to you or your publisher. I prefer the Chicago Manual of Style because it is a little cooler, but that's me.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :D What if I don't have a publisher? (Yet, right?) And when do I need to cite a source besides when directly quoting?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you are doing extensive paraphrasing, you should also cite. This could be done with footnotes or in a more extensive than usual acknowledgements/sources section.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal