Allergen Friendly Chocolate Fudge Recipe

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never posted in this area before. I'm desperate. I have developed a craving for chocolate fudge. I'm convinced I can make it from scratch using ingredients that I can eat. However, I can't find a recipe. It has to be dairy free, gluten free, soy free, and corn free. I probably should not use any pre-made ingredients, like rice milk or nut milks.

I googled recipes. Some require rice, soy, coconut or nut milk. Most require powdered sugar. I can't find powdered sugar without corn starch or tapioca starch.

Does anyone have a recipe or suggestions? I have a candy thermometer. I can use rice syrup and regular sugar.

Looking forward to your expert help.

With thanks!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a food processor or blender, you can make your own version of powdered sugar without any cornstarch or tapioca. I've done it before, and while it isn't as smooth as powdered sugar from the grocery store, it does work.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never posted in this area before. I'm desperate. I have developed a craving for chocolate fudge. I'm convinced I can make it from scratch using ingredients that I can eat. However, I can't find a recipe. It has to be dairy free, gluten free, soy free, and corn free. I probably should not use any pre-made ingredients, like rice milk or nut milks.

I googled recipes. Some require rice, soy, coconut or nut milk. Most require powdered sugar. I can't find powdered sugar without corn starch or tapioca starch.

Does anyone have a recipe or suggestions? I have a candy thermometer. I can use rice syrup and regular sugar.

Looking forward to your expert help.

With thanks!

As above, you can make your own powdered sugar --- the added starches are just to keep it smooth and from clumping if it gets moist.

As for the milk/cream, I'd use full-fat coconut milk. Why can't you use rice or nut or coconut milk?

Don't, btw, substitute oil for end butter. You'll get a mess.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
As above, you can make your own powdered sugar --- the added starches are just to keep it smooth and from clumping if it gets moist.

As for the milk/cream, I'd use full-fat coconut milk. Why can't you use rice or nut or coconut milk?

Don't, btw, substitute oil for end butter. You'll get a mess.

I wondered about making my own powdered sugar. Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

Prepared foods seem to trigger my GI symptoms. I don't know what is responsible for it, but the fewer prepared foods I use, the better I feel. I'm not sure whether it is the nuts or the prepared-food process that is the problem. Coconut milk seems to fall in some murky area that is between the prepared-food issue and containing IBS triggers called FODMAPs.

What is end butter? Can I substitute solid palm fruit oil for it?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Can you eat homemade peanut butter? A peanut butter that is on the dry side, with cocoa added, does a decent fudge impression. Then if you wanted you could add oats to get no-bake cookies...

Is solid palm fruit oil a shortening? You can use shortening to make chocolate icing, and it has the benefit that no actual cooking or baking is needed, but it probably won't get thick like a fudge