• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I want to submit something to AW (Share Your Work) but I'm nervous and not sure where to begin

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really like this place, and I've always been a shy person. I want to post something to get feedback and share my little ol' world with all of you-- but I'm a little at a loss where to begin. Should I try to tailor it to an audience? I'm used to writing novels rather than short stories, but I actually want people to enjoy (as much as they can) what I post.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have a wide open page and I really want to get something in-- but I want to take my time and do it right.

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I really like this place, and I've always been a shy person. I want to post something to get feedback and share my little ol' world with all of you-- but I'm a little at a loss where to begin. Should I try to tailor it to an audience? I'm used to writing novels rather than short stories, but I actually want people to enjoy (as much as they can) what I post.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have a wide open page and I really want to get something in-- but I want to take my time and do it right.
What's WF? Western Forum? Pretty dead in there...

Anyway, SYW is more about getting your work to a publishable level than posting for others to enjoy. So I wouldn't tailor it to an audience (not really sure what you mean by that, TBH--tailor it to the SYW audience? Not even sure how you'd go about doing that, since everyone there has different tastes). So, yeah. If you want your stuff shredded within an inch of its life to make it more publishable, then by all means, post in SYW. But if you want people to enjoy it (or if you're looking for pats on the back), then I don't think SYW is the place for that. It's more geared towards soul-destroying. :greenie But soul-destroying in a GOOD way. It does hurt, but it makes your work stronger. But you really need to gird your loins before posting, because you don't want to become so discouraged by crits that you stop writing. So just make sure you're absolutely ready before posting. And feel free to ask for gentle crits.

BTW, I think online crittage is perfect for shy critters. I know there are people who belong to real-life writing groups and stand around in circles and whatnot while their work is eviscerated face to face, but the very thought gives this critter palpitations. Yay internetz! :)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about posting for crit in the Share Your Work forum, you can always start small. There are "Post Your First Three Sentences" and "Hook Me in Your First 200 Words" threads where you can just share a smidgen - and you can always ask people to go easy on you if you're feeling less than secure.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's WF? Western Forum? Pretty dead in there...

Anyway, SYW is more about getting your work to a publishable level than posting for others to enjoy. So I wouldn't tailor it to an audience (not really sure what you mean by that, TBH--tailor it to the SYW audience? Not even sure how you'd go about doing that, since everyone there has different tastes). So, yeah. If you want your stuff shredded within an inch of its life to make it more publishable, then by all means, post in SYW. But if you want people to enjoy it (or if you're looking for pats on the back), then I don't think SYW is the place for that. It's more geared towards soul-destroying. :greenie But soul-destroying in a GOOD way. It does hurt, but it makes your work stronger. But you really need to gird your loins before posting, because you don't want to become so discouraged by crits that you stop writing. So just make sure you're absolutely ready before posting. And feel free to ask for gentle crits.

BTW, I think online crittage is perfect for shy critters. I know there are people who belong to real-life writing groups and stand around in circles and whatnot while their work is eviscerated face to face, but the very thought gives this critter palpitations. Yay internetz! :)

WOOPS! I meant AW! :X

Hey! Thanks!

Absolutely the goal is to improve. And the soul crushing is expected. :p I just wanted to come up with something palatable. You gents and ladies are always SO kind with your advice/criticism and support. I just want to make sure that someone gets something out of it.

You're guidance is motivating me. OKAY! I can do this.

*UPDATED*

If you're talking about posting for crit in the Share Your Work forum, you can always start small. There are "Post Your First Three Sentences" and "Hook Me in Your First 200 Words" threads where you can just share a smidgen - and you can always ask people to go easy on you if you're feeling less than secure.

Okay! Thanks! : D

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I took my first work to a critique group, I simply admitted up front that I couldn't write yet and was there to learn. It helps to not think you have to prove anything to anyone; you don't have to be a good writer. Everyone starts at some point. Granted there are people with incredible natural talent and people who started when they were young and have already gone through a learning process by the time they are adults.

Not me, I spent my career in science, nursing and medicine. But now I want to be a writer and I've spent a number of years learning how to do that. I'm pleased with my progress especially when I look back to the first stuff I took to the critique group. :tongue

Of course, maybe you are already a skilled writer, in which case don't be shy. Just go for it.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I find critting other people's work is helpful because I know where I am mentally when I do a crit. I'm not trying to tear anybody down or ruin their dreams. I genuinely want to see them succeed, and I hope that my comments will, in some way, illuminate the path they need to take (even if I'm way off base and I'm simply illuminating the path NOT to take, yanno?).

Harsh crits hurt, but on AW, at least, they're harsh with good intentions. I've seen "crits" that seemed designed to rip the writer apart and destroy their dreams, crit-trolling if you will, but I've NEVER seen that behavior here at AW. That's why I stick around. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are other ways to prepare yourself for SYW.

Find the SYW board for any genre you read. (It doesn't have to be something you write.) Read the first post, the work to be critiqued. Before you read any of the replies, think about what you might say if you were to give feedback. Tweaks or major issues, confusion or questions, it's all good. Now read what people actually said in critique. Did they note the same points you would have? Usually they do, plus as a group they find other flaws and weaknesses you didn't even notice. While you're there, note the tenor of the critiques you just read. Nobody told the author they sucked and couldn't write and should find another hobby, right? Nobody disparaged the author as a person. Nobody pronounced the whole excerpt posted as horrible. Instead, they gave specific feedback on what could use improvement--and that's like money in the bank.

After you've done that a few times, try your hand at critique for others. You'll find you're reading with an intensity you might not ordinarily employ. And if you're a decent person (which I'm pretty sure you are), you will also find yourself searching for ways to note what's not working that are fully truthful yet tactful. There's a learning curve on that. If you fear your criticism could wound the writer, you can keep it to yourself on your computer and never post it. (A folder where you keep critiques is useful, at least to me.)

And then one day you'll have a what-the-hell moment and you'll post your own work. Pay attention to the guides for it, noting that what looks great in word processing does not necessarily transfer to AW. Like tabs. And font size. Now go away. Don't even visit that thread for a few days. Get immersed in something else writing related, either here or elsewhere. When you feel ready to face the music, return to the thread and read what people had to say. Go off somewhere to bleed where you won't bother anyone. In my experience, the ones that hurt the most are the most likely to be correct.

And look at you! You thanked people either publicly or via PM, you jotted many notes on things you learned or weaknesses you need to work on, maybe a comma rule or two, and you survived quite nicely, and a little thicker skinned.

Maryn, knowing you can do it

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
You can also preface your work with a quick note saying, "please be gentle". I did it recently with a synopsis I was really unsure about, and I got absolutely amazing feedback which helped a lot. And it was gentle, seriously.

Also keep in mind that we're really, really trying to help. Sometimes the comments can come across as harsh, but I would say 95% of the time it's because people try to find ways to make the piece better, so -- basically -- are pointing imperfections in your writing, or lack of clarity, or thinks like that. As nice as we may be, at the end of the day, it's still going to sting a bit, you know?

But it's going to make your writing stronger, and not just that: you'll get to think about what you like / where you stand regarding your writing. Because there are aspects of your writing people will disagree about. Some will like what others dislike. And that's where you decide -- right, I agree with this comment because... / I feel I could improve this aspect... / I hadn't seen it like this... / or actually, I want to keep it as is. And that's just as important. It makes you reflect on your own writing techniques in a way that is very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve on your own.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you done some crits on SYW, Daniel? It will help your own writing, and also as Taz says, will put you in the right kind of mental frame for understanding any crits that you get. Also, most people tend to return crits for people they see critting.

There's a big difference between SYW and a writing appreciation group, though - just to be clear. People will assume that the work you're asking for (and it is work!) involves a fair bit of input - and it's an effort they're making for you, because you've asked. I'd be a bit concerned that you're thinking of putting work up just to be pleasant and share. That's not really what SYW is for. It's only a display site in the same way that the Coliseum was a petting zoo.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

I'd wait. I'd wait at least a month, and I'd spend that time reading in SYW and trying your hand at critting.

Critting someone else's stuff is one of the absolute best things you can do in terms of helping your own writing.

And it will help you get accustomed to what it means to be critted, how to interpret crits and what to pay attention to.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

Yes, I've been keeping active with crits. I try to do one or two every day to keep my head fresh. I'm just a little nervous. I'll focus on more crits and I have enjoyed ALL the suggestions and advice offered.

Thanks for the support all! :D

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was super nervous about sharing my work, and I was on AW for more than 6 months before I could bring myself to share even a small thing. I’ve now shared three things - two short stories, and one excerpt from my novel - and I think it does get a little easier each time.

I did warn people that I felt very vulnerable in sharing, and I think that inclined them to go easy on me. Still, the feedback was largely positive and entirely helpful. (I don’t know if anyone was out there with negative feedback that they decided not to give because I had mentioned my vulnerability.)

Two of the pieces I’ve shared have been on the Historical forum, and there’s a regular group of critiquers there whom I’ve been getting to know a little bit. It has a round-robin, writers’ group sort of feel that makes it feel a little safer. And as I said, they’ve been gentle with me, and very thoughtful. So if you can spend some time in the section of the forum you’re most likely to post to and get to know the regulars, it might help to take the edge off a little too.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Crits come at different levels, and I think readers are good at sussing that.

If the basics of craft need work, that's what the crits will focus on. If craft iimproves, then overall structure and depth get picked up on. That's part of why posting revisions can be an interesting process, I think. You could also ask people to be particularly kind or cautious :)

Something ot remember is we've all had bad or harsh feedback at some stage, including the people leaving crits. My early posts in syw were not well received. But you live and learn and come back for more.

There's also a degree of subjectivity; I've seen a friend get their excerpt slated on syw as being very beginner (summarising) when it was in fact something they were already revising with an agent. However, part of the critting process is not just improving, but gaining the confidence to know when you are on the right track, and to know when something isn't working overall versus not working for a single poster etc.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely preface your post with something along the lines of "Please be gentle". :) Whenever I crit, I take into account the OP's wishes, whether it's "Rip it apart" or "Pls be gentle". I'm still honest, but I'd be a lot nicer about it, because while I'm usually good with taking crit, I've also been in that headspace where I have so little confidence in my writing that a single harsh crit would've set me back a lot. I think AW's really good about being receptive to the OP's needs, whatever they may be, so you're in the right place!

If you're uncomfortable with posting your work, you might want to try seeking individual AWers and asking if they could beta-read your MS. I actually started by doing that, and slowly gained enough confidence to post snippets here and there.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody told the author they sucked and couldn't write and should find another hobby, right? Nobody disparaged the author as a person.
This. This. This. And again this.

It's called the Respect Your Fellow Writers rule. Never make it personal. If works everywhere at AW, even in SYW.

Instead, they gave specific feedback on what could use improvement--and that's like money in the bank.

There is also the James D. MacDonald rule. It goes like this: if a bunch of people say there is something wrong with your manuscript, they are likely right; if they tell you how to fix it, they are likely wrong. In other words, pick what you think is the right solution; it's YOUR manuscript after all.

Last thing: take your time. Feedback is not an immediate thing and spinning corrections on a fast cycle will get you nowhere. Also, give thanks to all who have taken time off their schedule to read your stuff and formulate a critique. It's time they are not spending working on their own manuscripts. Re-read the RYFW rule above. You will find it's expressed in many different ways.

-cb

Last edited:

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off. You've been giving crits for a long time, you know what to expect. You know if you're ready, you know if it's what you want and if you need it.. :) If you're in a place where a harsh crit would set you back, then you shouldn't. If you're in a place where you want feedback, then you should.