WordPress tip: widgets

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
WordPress has lots of different themes, useful for many different kinds of web sites. I use one with two columns, a wide one on the left, a narrow one on the right. The left one is a blog. I call it News and only post fairly short messages, usually about a new book, TV show, movie, or event.

Longer and unchanging posts such as my bio and essays and sample chapters of my books I put into the stable part of the site. You go there through the menu across the top of the site. When I put a new one up I post a notice in News.

Which brings us to widgets. These I put in the narrow column. These are little chunks of code that do things like display a calendar, ask for email addresses if someone wants to get notices of posts, show short lists of web links I've labeled Friends and Fan of and just Links.

One widget I highly recommend is the Recent Posts widget. It's much better than the Archives widget. That just lists the months in which you made posts, a terrible kind of table of contents. Posts lists the post titles, like this. It acts as a clickable table of contents of all the up-to-50 most recent posts.

THE BIG SICK engrossing film
GIANT ROCKETS a new generation
PERILOUS WAIF great military SF
EMILY BLUNT & ANNE HATHAWAY lipsync battle
...45 more titles...
REAL GENIUSES: what are they like?

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's more helpful to refer to refer to the "columns" as sidebars.

The central part of the page, particularly in terms of sites built with CMS tools like WordPress, Blogger, or Square Space, the part where actual content resides, is the body of the page. The top area, often occupied by a logo or image, and where you often find navigation links or menus, is the header.

The bottom area of the page, below the sidebars and the body, is the footer.

The terms are all derived from print page design, though they aren't exactly the same.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use widgets in the main column/body and the footer as well. They are useful in all areas of your site.

I prefer the recent posts on my homepage. I use the categories widget in sidebar. And I use the related post widget at the bottom of posts.

I agree the Archive is not helpful. It typically lists months and year and not the post titles. It get little to no action for that reason and becomes clutter.

--

AW Admin, I love that they still use above the fold for website design too!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The terms [mentioned above] are all derived from print page design, though they aren't exactly the same.

Good point. Too, I think a lot of the lessons learned from print-page design can be used on web-page design, though taking into consideration the limits and extra capabilities of dynamic pages. So a print typesetter could more quickly come up to speed on webpage "typesetting" than a total novice.