Hemingway's shit detector

Bickernicks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
adeadguy.com
I'm sure this is well known, but I only found it recently: Ernest Hemmingway, The Art of Fiction no 21.

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4825/ernest-hemingway-the-art-of-fiction-no-21-ernest-hemingway

Hemingway got pretty snarky with the interviewer. So good quotes:

The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof, shit detector.

I might say that what amateurs call a style is usually only the unavoidable awkwardnesses in first trying to make something that has not heretofore been made. Almost no new classics resemble other previous classics. At first people can see only the awkwardness.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Great interview. Thanks. Though I'd pick different quotes. But then, each of us would, as each of us will get different lessons from it.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did read the entire interview.
I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, maybe because I was forced to read The Old Man and the Sea in school and I found it incredibly depressing and hated it. What I take away from this interview is a man who doesn't want to be interviewed so he comes across as snarky and arrogant.

I personally didn't get any lessons from this interview. It was a turn off.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually bought a subscription to parisreview.org after finding their archive of interviews:

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews

The Hemingway one was a freeby, all the others require a subscription. But damn, it goes back 60 years. All the biggie names are in there.

That's cool, if you come across some more interesting please post links again.

Sorry if I sounded snippy, I stand by my "not a Hemingway fan" comment, however I did take something away from the interview, so I need to correct myself when I said "I learned nothing."

What did stick for me was he said something along the lines of "leave off in your writing when you know what happens next then you won't get stuck." Ok so he didn't say it in those exact words, so I'm not quoting him exactly, but it's what I took away from it, and I feel that is really good advice. If you stop writing in a spot before you run out of umph then the next day when you pick up you'll have something to write. I like this, its a good tip.

Bickernicks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
adeadguy.com
I'm going nuts reading all these interviews. They are ALL about the craft of writing - all from the biggest names. Tell ya what, I'll just dump all the nuggets here as I find them. :) Here's an interesting quote from William Gibson:

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6089/william-gibson-the-art-of-fiction-no-211-william-gibson

INTERVIEWER

Where did cyberspace come from?

GIBSON

I was painfully aware that I lacked an arena for my science fiction. The spaceship had been where science fiction had happened for a very long time, even in the writing of much hipper practitioners like Samuel Delany. The spaceship didn’t work for me, viscerally. I know from some interviews of Ballard’s that it didn’t work for him either. His solution was to treat Earth as the alien planet and perhaps to treat one’s fellow humans as though they were aliens. But that didn’t work for me. I knew I wouldn’t be able to function in a purely Ballardian universe. So I needed something to replace outer space and the spaceship.

I was walking around Vancouver, aware of that need, and I remember walking past a video arcade, which was a new sort of business at that time, and seeing kids playing those old-fashioned console-style plywood video games. The games had a very primitive graphic representation of space and perspective. Some of them didn’t even have perspective but were yearning toward perspective and dimensionality. Even in this very primitive form, the kids who were playing them were so physically involved, it seemed to me that what they wanted was to be inside the games, within the notional space of the machine. The real world had disappeared for them—it had completely lost its importance. They were in that notional space, and the machine in front of them was the brave new world.

The only computers I’d ever seen in those days were things the size of the side of a barn. And then one day, I walked by a bus stop and there was an Apple poster. The poster was a photograph of a businessman’s jacketed, neatly cuffed arm holding a life-size representation of a real-life computer that was not much bigger than a laptop is today. Everyone is going to have one of these, I thought, and everyone is going to want to live inside them. And somehow I knew that the notional space behind all of the computer screens would be one single universe.

INTERVIEWER

And you knew at that point you had your arena?

GIBSON

I sensed that it would more than meet my requirements, and I knew that there were all sorts of things I could do there that I hadn’t even been able to imagine yet. But what was more important at that point, in terms of my practical needs, was to name it something cool, because it was never going to work unless it had a really good name. So the first thing I did was sit down with a yellow pad and a Sharpie and start scribbling—infospace, dataspace. I think I got cyberspace on the third try, and I thought, Oh, that’s a really weird word. I liked the way it felt in the mouth—I thought it sounded like it meant something while still being essentially hollow.