Marketing question - Doctor Who Online

Catherine Greenall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I could use some advice.

I was contacted by Doctor Who On Line about marketing my books on their site for a range of priced packages.

Has anyone else come across them? Are they legit?

Thanks!
Catherine

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Can you provide a link?

I know someone who has written a number of Who novelisations and knows the world rather well: I'll happily ask him if you can give that link.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
(Wondering if this shouldn't be ported to the BR&BC forum)

I had the opportunity to write for Doctor Who Short Trips for Big Finish back in 2004. Back then that was the only way an American could write for Who since we're not "British or Commonwealth subjects".

Currently, the BBC is handling all Doctor Who tie-in books, with a heavy focus on NuWho. Big Finish Ltd. stopped doing the first eight Doctors books several years ago and is only doing the audio books/plays. I "think" Titan/Dark Horse may be doing Doctor Who comics (again NuWho), but it's been a while since I saw one in the book store, so I could be mistaken about the publishers.

If it's not part of the BBC, I'm not sure who'd be calling themselves "Doctor Who On Line" and I certainly can't see the BBC marketing other people's books, much less offering "packages".

This sounds suspicious at face value, but I'm very curious about the link.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
If you mean Doctor Who Online, their Wikipedia page says they've been around for more than 20 years. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be easy to deal with, but if there have been major problems there should be record of them online.

Catherine Greenall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
It seems to be a fan site by fans for fans but has several video messages from Dr Whos mentioning the site. The person who started it up seems to have been a DR Who writer according to IMDB.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't find anything on Google.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. I was suspicious too but can't find anything negative.

Thanks

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Assuming the email matches the contact emails on the website (so you know it's really from them) they look like a fan site that sells advertising space. There are some book adverts on the main page, so they appear to do exactly what they say they will do. But there's a big line between something being genuine and something being a great marketing thing that will sell books. If you're considering it, you could try asking some of the featured authors whether they've seen sales of their books from the adverts.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've spoken to my friend who is an expert Whovian.

Apparently it's a reasonably well-known site, and not generally scammy (in that he couldn't vouch for it, but was aware of it being a fun place).

My view, though, is that it's going to be populated with fans of The Doctor. Why would they be interested in your works? If they're related to The Doctor's universe they'll either be endorsed by the owners of that universe, in which case they will be published and promoted by their publishers; or they'll be fan fiction, which means you could run into huge legal issues if and when the owners of the IP hear about you.

You'd be better off spending your money elsewhere, I think.