Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My question is similar to this thread, though nudity wasn't discussed:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-259457.html

Is nudity in upper MG books fine if it serves a historical and symbolic purpose, its description and symbolicalness being similar to the book Lord of the Flies? There is no sex, no romance, and there’s no other purpose than being historically accurate and symbolizing innocence in a child labored environment in history, and how such labor needs to be abolished. Nudity was required in some cases of the work, and this occurs in two scenes. For descriptions, I leave it up to the reader to imagine with visual clues (showing), which I like personally (aka "his skin was coated in soil from top to bottom" as a poor example here), and in one fast pace line it simply states one is naked (telling). So, in slow pace there's visual clues, fast pace it just states it and moves on. This story is being seen through the young MC’s eyes using the same writing style my MG readers have enjoyed in an earlier work. This second book does take a step further with brief nudity, a scarier tale like HP getting darker, but there’s nothing that would suggest YA. An adventure unfolds and it's still very MG-oriented with a message of hope. I also feel it’s a coming of age book (like Oliver Twist's world), as the MC is about to turn 12—the working adult age in his world, and he's trying to live up to what's expected of him. Thanks.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi. Her MC is a 12yo who hates wearing clothes, and there are plenty of scenes where the MC decides meh, don't really want to wear clothes right now, and runs around naked.

As always, it depends on execution. Read more MG and you'll have a better idea of what's appropriate and what isn't.

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought and book example. I agree on execution. I used Google Books to study the author's execution on Furthermore using the keyword finder. Typing 'clothes' gave several results, and typing 'naked' gave no results. I never read the book, but this brief study suggests the author shows/implies instead of telling, and it's mostly mentioned with the character's actions. I think that's similar to my execution then, though I tend to also show the dirt/smudges about the skin. At the moment, I'm assuming I'm on the right track then.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the American age ranges, but in the UK there are loads of books aimed at kids aged around 8-11 (upper primary school) that are full of jokes about bottoms, underpants and the like, and having someone completely naked in a non-sexual way is pretty ordinary.

In fact there are books aimed at under 5s that include things like bath time that would imply being naked, and books to help toddlers with potty training. It's all context dependent.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and there's a scene with her naked in the bath if that helps (another female character is present).

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks again for the book examples. It sounds like it should be context-driven and thoughtfully executed then, so I feel my scenes are in the green. I came across Wacky Wednesday for 5-8 year olds that had an illustrated boy with a bare bottom in a shower. Each illustration makes kids giggle and show their friends.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If it's true to the historical yo are writing, you may well need it. Authenticity counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.