Recommendations?

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I've just finished the audiobook for Laura Jean Grace's Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout thanks to the Audible Black Friday sale. I picked it up mainly for the price and the title, but it turned out to be exactly what I'm looking for: an intimate depiction of a wide variety of struggles that a straight cis man such as myself has very little personal experience with and that it can be problematic as hell* to learn about from average people, plus a personalized twist based on other things LJG experienced and did both related and unrelated to gender dysphoria.

Since I was so lucky in finding this audiobook, it's definitely gotten my attention to the fact that accounts such as this are out there, and I would appreciate recommendations for biographies, memoirs, or fictional equivalents similar to this that have to do with any sort of marginalized groups. I'm sure that reading books such as Piri Thomas's Down These Mean Streets and Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me probably helped to get this mental ball rolling, but I'm looking to take this to the next step while I can (before I'm doubtless assigned another stack of books to read in January).

*problematic in the sense of how rude it can be to ask one on one and how difficult it can be to collect information academically for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

danatcsimpson

Registered
Reaction score
Redefining Realness by Janet Mock was a good meaty memoir. Aside from relating scenes from her own life, she is a media personality, so she dives into some basic issues of media representation as well.

Fun Home and Are You My Mother by Alison Bechdel are also good if you're looking to be sad for at least several days afterward.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Exile in Guyville: How a Punk Rock Redneck Faggot Texan Moved to West Hollywood and Refused to Be Shiny and Happy by Dave White could be helpful.