• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

TIP: If you're stuck, consult the cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhForFrithsSake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I had to share in case it might help someone here.

Snagged on a plot hole? Looking for inspiration? Just plain stuck? Try tarot cards.

I don't mean the traditional ones, where the images are stiff and flat and, well, dull. There are so many gorgeous decks out there with their own themes that it's easy to find one that suits your needs: Shadowscapes (ethereal fantasy), Llewellyn (Welsh folklore), Linestrider (generic symbolism, beautiful art), Oceanic (mermaids), Steampunk (... should be obvious), etc, etc, etc. Zombies, vampires, ghosts, witches, dragons, anime, chibis, abstract, vintage, what-have-you, there's probably a deck for it.

I don't personally believe they have mystical power, but I am a huge sucker for pretty artwork, so I've amassed a collection. As it turns out, they are magnificent for brainstorming. And if you think you'd like to give it a try but don't want to buy a physical deck, there are phone apps (most produced by Fool's Dog) for many of the more popular decks that are just a few dollars. Not only does each deck have its own art style, but each card has a unique image and different associated meanings, leaving you plenty to consider.

Stuck on a plot point? Draw a card. See what sparks.

Example: I was stuck on my outline for my current WIP. I just couldn't figure out why my antagonists (invading alien race) were doing what they were doing, and it was driving me nuts. A quick shuffle of my Llewellyn deck, and I got the Priestess card (image - fair warning, very slight nudity). The symbolism didn't do much for me, but the image was the perfect character inspiration. I won't go into detail, but it went something like: "Alien queen. Ancient. Dying. Saving her people. Ruthless. Mind control. YES." and I was off and writing. :D

So there you go, my favorite technique to fend off the dreaded Writer's Block. Hope it helps!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many gorgeous decks out there with their own themes that it's easy to find one that suits your needs: Shadowscapes (ethereal fantasy), Llewellyn (Welsh folklore), Linestrider (generic symbolism, beautiful art), Oceanic (mermaids), Steampunk (... should be obvious), etc, etc, etc. Zombies, vampires, ghosts, witches, dragons, anime, chibis, abstract, vintage, what-have-you, there's probably a deck for it.
I've thought about the tarot cards but not about the funky decks, doh! :Clap: So much better! With some of those the stories just write themselves. :Jump::TheWave:

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
The true magic of tarot cards is that they unlock what's already inside of your brain. They're just a medium for you to get there, to those creative thoughts. There is no such thing as fortune telling, only the accessing of your own existing intuition. I too have a bit of a collection and use them for brainstorming. I love how they are tiny arts that fit in my hands.

OhForFrithsSake

Registered
Reaction score
I've thought about the tarot cards but not about the funky decks, doh! :Clap: So much better! With some of those the stories just write themselves. :Jump::TheWave:

Trust me, the funky decks are so much more fun. :D I think my next one might be the Everyday Witch deck---very quirky and just plain happy.

The true magic of tarot cards is that they unlock what's already inside of your brain. They're just a medium for you to get there, to those creative thoughts. There is no such thing as fortune telling, only the accessing of your own existing intuition. I too have a bit of a collection and use them for brainstorming. I love how they are tiny arts that fit in my hands.

Exactly! Intuition is a good way to put it. It's all you, but the cards can help you look at things from new angles. Do you have a favorite deck?

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
There's a tarot deck specifically for writers: The Writer's Block Tarot by Vivian Caethe. I have a deck and the artwork is gorgeous. I've also used it a couple of times, just pulled a couple of cards to give a little push when stuck. I haven't done more with it, though. I think it will help more if I used it more.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There's a tarot deck specifically for writers: The Writer's Block Tarot by Vivian Caethe. I have a deck and the artwork is gorgeous. I've also used it a couple of times, just pulled a couple of cards to give a little push when stuck. I haven't done more with it, though. I think it will help more if I used it more.

Looks interesting, though most places seem to only have the book. Any idea where one can get the deck?

There are books on using traditional Tarot cards for writing; I've read Corrine Kenner's Tarot for Writers, which is decent.

And, as has been mentioned, there are many, many different decks - not just Tarot based, but "oracle cards" and others, which appeal to different people and have their own angles/"energies". I even have a weird one called the "Insight Story Card Set", with simple ideas and images on each card that work reasonably well for random idea draws.

OhForFrithsSake

Registered
Reaction score

Looks interesting, though most places seem to only have the book. Any idea where one can get the deck?

There are books on using traditional Tarot cards for writing; I've read Corrine Kenner's Tarot for Writers, which is decent.

And, as has been mentioned, there are many, many different decks - not just Tarot based, but "oracle cards" and others, which appeal to different people and have their own angles/"energies". I even have a weird one called the "Insight Story Card Set", with simple ideas and images on each card that work reasonably well for random idea draws.

That is a neat looking deck, but they must have had some publishing issues. Even Barnes & Noble is only selling the book. :( I'll add it to my "maybe someday" wishlist along with a bunch of other beautiful, out-of-print, hella-expensive decks that make me sad (Animals Divine tarot, I'm lookin' at you).

Yeah, there are a bunch of divination tools you could use for writing. Oracle cards come in just as much variety as tarot, if not more, plus just general inspiration decks. There's a pretty one called "The Universe has Your Back" which is all affirmations and positive thinking, which could be good inspiration for journaling. I've even seen tarot dice, with different symbols on each side!

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score

Came here thinking the thread was going to talk about the book. "Decent" is a good description for it. I'm enjoying and taking notes on the thread.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I've done this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At the very least, it can send your thoughts trailing in directions they might not have otherwise gone. That's something I always need help with: getting my thought-train to switch onto lesser traveled tracks.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You can get the Writer's Block tarot deck here: https://www.asabovesobelowtarot.net/decks/ It does look like the deck and book are being sold separately. Sigh.

I got them through their kickstarter campaign so I got both the book and deck. Still, they're nice. I just have to get used to using them.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
This is awesome. I used to do Tarot readings professionally and I have about 30 decks (my sister went nuts one year and bought me something like 10 decks alone!). I have used the Tarot for writing and I've always gotten good results. I haven't much lately, and I'm not even sure why.

I have one deck that has non-traditional imagery called The Roehrig Tarot. Beautiful deck. That's the one I usually use for writing, but anything really would work.

Here's the link. Although these cards look slightly different than the ones in my deck. Maybe it was redesigned?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rohrig/

Status
Not open for further replies.