My sob story

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
So last June I attended a writing workshop/retreat, and the agent running the retreat was very excited about my WIP. She told me flat out, "I'd like to represent this," and that I should send her the manuscript when it was all finished and polished. She also told me she would get me on some conference panels. As you might expect, I was over the moon.

Fast forward to October. I'd finished my manuscript, run it through critique partners and beta readers, and finally sent it to the agent. Two weeks later she sent me an offer of representation. All according to plan.

But then.

She sent the manuscript to just one publisher. Yesterday that publisher passed on it. No feedback, just a generic, "Not for us" kind of thing. And the agent told me she didn't have time to send it anywhere else, that I should just self-publish it and get it out to readers that way.

Basically, she dumped me. After one rejection.

To be fair, the agent knows I've self-published in the past and done moderately well with that. But this manuscript is, I feel, suited to a publisher. I had real hopes it would be my break-out book.

So now I'm back at square one. I felt like I'd finally climbed the mountain and now an avalanche has knocked me back down to the base. I'm not sure I have the energy to try again.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any advice, but I will sit and sob with ya. :cry:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
WHAT??????

That's so disrespectful to you and your work and the hopes every reputable agent knows the author has. I feel you, you have got to be gutted, but very soon you will be so glad that creature is gone.

Have a bottle of brandy or a tub of ice cream on me. :cry:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh man, Zmethos, that's just terrible. I'm so sorry. You definitely deserve better that this. So does your story.

Mourn the loss, take the hit, give yourself time to recover and drink your liquid comfort of choice, but don't let this stop you. You're good enough, your book is good enough. You got someone's attention once, even if they turned out to be a flake. You can do it again. :Hug2:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
WHAT??????

That's so disrespectful to you and your work and the hopes every reputable agent knows the author has. I feel you, you have got to be gutted, but very soon you will be so glad that creature is gone.

Have a bottle of brandy or a tub of ice cream on me. :cry:

Very much this!
That is an awful way to treat a writer. I'm so sorry zmethos, but I'm sure you will land a really good agent! How was the writing workshop/retreat? It sounds suspect now in the light of this behaviour.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So now I'm back at square one. I felt like I'd finally climbed the mountain and now an avalanche has knocked me back down to the base. I'm not sure I have the energy to try again.

Oh, boy. :Hug2: I'm so sorry to hear this, and I know exactly how you feel.

Not that you asked for advice, but in case you're looking for some: Give yourself time. You don't have to decide today what to do with this book, or your writing in general, or any of it. Let yourself process and get some equilibrium back. Of course this hurts - yours is a normal reaction to an awful situation.

If you do decide to move forward, you may find there are lessons to take from this - questions you can ask up front before you choose representation again. From the little bit you mention here, a couple of things stand out to me: that she had only one publisher in mind, and that she "didn't have time" to do further work for the book. Both of those things suggest to me that, at the very least, she wasn't a good fit for you. That doesn't mean there aren't agents out there who would be. If you decide to go the agent route again, I think you could ask questions about their submission strategies, and what they do if/when those strategies don't pan out. (Too many of us, I think, don't want to ask about negative outcomes, but that's part of the deal.)

Regardless of how you choose to proceed - I'm sorry you're going through this. If it helps at all, remember what you've had here is exactly one publisher say they don't want to publish that book. That's literally all you know about this book's marketability: that one publisher has passed on it. Unless you've got an absurdly niche piece of work, that doesn't tell you anything at all.

Grieve however you need, and know you're not alone.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
that really stinks. sorry to hear that. if one agent liked it, another one will too. you can bet on it. know it doesn't seem like it right now, but this may end up being one of the best things to happen in your writing career. who knows. get up, good luck and keep marching forward!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She sent it to only one? wow, I would say you are better off without that person as an agent. :( sorry she did that to you.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, that really stings, Zmethos. I hope you find a better agent soon.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that a gift horse? Let me get a better look at those teeth...

It's awful that she didn't believe in your manuscript enough to actually shop it around, but my writerly antennae started to quiver when you told us she wanted to rep you before the manuscript was finished. That's so far from professional that I'd have been suspicious.

And the hindsight questions must be asked, to protect others. Were you so over the moon that you did not check out her credentials, recent sales, etc., or did she check out okay?

It's after noon where I am. Pour you a drink?

Maryn, who doesn't drink in the morning

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Is that a gift horse? Let me get a better look at those teeth...

It's awful that she didn't believe in your manuscript enough to actually shop it around, but my writerly antennae started to quiver when you told us she wanted to rep you before the manuscript was finished. That's so far from professional that I'd have been suspicious.

And the hindsight questions must be asked, to protect others. Were you so over the moon that you did not check out her credentials, recent sales, etc., or did she check out okay?

It's after noon where I am. Pour you a drink?

Maryn, who doesn't drink in the morning

Thanks, Maryn. Actually, yes--I'll admit I felt a wee bit like "too good to be true," even at the time. But I wanted so much to believe!

I did check her credentials, and even spoke to authors she repped who seemed very happy with her. One author she worked with had done very well, including having her books translated into several different languages. Still, the agent is a one-person operation, and my book was not her usual thing. Which is another reason I was a little surprised she was so eager to take it on. Turns out, not so eager? She must have thought this one publisher/editor she knew would want it. When that turned out not to be the case, she dumped me. I'm bummed because I had given her a list of publishers to maybe try (ones I'd thought were a good fit but I'd need an agent to submit to), but she just wasn't willing to even do that much.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, zmethos. That really sucks. Sounds like you did your due diligence, but the agent was experimenting with your book — seeing if she could sell your genre/concept to this publisher — and when it didn't pan out, she was done.

I received the advice to self-publish from an agent once, and it crushed me. Not because I have anything against self-publishing, but because that advice doesn't soften an agent rejection of a book the author clearly hoped was trade publishable. So all I can advise is, don't take it personally. Don't let it discourage you. With any luck, you will find an agent who believes in the book strongly enough to take it out for a real submission round, and who doesn't give up easily.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is awful, zmethos. Sending lots of :Hug2:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
That was some astonishingly unprofessional (and just downright crappy) behavior on the part of that agent. Of course it hurts--but I think you're well rid of her. Take some time to mourn, but then try again. And virtual hugs for you.:Hug2:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Zmethos, that was extremely unprofessional of the agent. Let Victoria Strauss of Writer Beware know the details about this ASAP. She'll keep it discreet, but this agent should probably be avoided...or at least noted for this behavior.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, if the agent knew this was a solicited manuscript they may have just signed up to see the deal through. Although that sort of thing should be clear up front.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Agreed. That doesn't sound like any type of agent behavior I'm familiar with. If you hadn't mentioned other authors seem to be happy with the results, I'd seriously question if this was an agent or someone participating in Agent:The Role Playing Game.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but :Hug2:.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She must have thought this one publisher/editor she knew would want it. When that turned out not to be the case, she dumped me.

This. Is so. NOT NICE!

Sounds like she may have been using you, perhaps, to get a foot in with that particular publisher or editor, and when that didn't work, she dropped you. Very unprofessional and self-serving. I would tell my experience to Writer Beware as as suggested.

captaincrow

Registered
Reaction score

zmethos, you're going to do all of us and yourself a favour and climb that f*cking mountain again, all right? Imagine we're all a bunch of St. Bernards who pull you out from underneath that snow. There's loads of whiskey in those barrels around our necks* so take as much as you need--warm yourself or maybe even get drunk, I don't care, then don a fancy snowsuit and some snow goggles, take your pickaxe and a supply of energy bars, and go for the top of that mountain. I'm pretty sure there's a nice little shack up there where you can get some more whiskey and a divine cheese fondue--and guess what: there's a really awesome person waiting in that shack for you. Patiently sitting there and drinking whiskey and having cheese fondue, all the while reading your manuscript, until you come in through that door. And they're gonna be like, "zmethos, I am your agent."**

* I don't know how they really rescue people buried underneath avalanches, or what's really in those barrels, so don't take my word for it.

** If you read this in a Darth Vader tone, my job here is done.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. I'd be angry and hurt, in your shoes.

Did the agent say she wouldn't sub anymore? Or was giving up on getting a book deal merely a (horrible, totally premature) suggestion? If she's not willing to sub anymore, I don't think you should have too much trouble looking for another agent. Normally, the fact that the manuscript had been subbed would put you at a disadvantage, but I can't see many agents being overly bothered by a single rejection. Just make sure you read your contract going forward.

Good luck with whatever YOU choose to do.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maryn. Actually, yes--I'll admit I felt a wee bit like "too good to be true," even at the time. But I wanted so much to believe!

I did check her credentials, and even spoke to authors she repped who seemed very happy with her. One author she worked with had done very well, including having her books translated into several different languages. Still, the agent is a one-person operation, and my book was not her usual thing. Which is another reason I was a little surprised she was so eager to take it on. Turns out, not so eager? She must have thought this one publisher/editor she knew would want it. When that turned out not to be the case, she dumped me. I'm bummed because I had given her a list of publishers to maybe try (ones I'd thought were a good fit but I'd need an agent to submit to), but she just wasn't willing to even do that much.
Most likely the reason for her actions. A pity. And, a useful learning opportunity I suppose.

I feels for ye, as they say. On the bright side, it was good enough for one agent, so...

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Did the agent say she wouldn't sub anymore? Or was giving up on getting a book deal merely a (horrible, totally premature) suggestion?

She said she has 15 other clients and is too busy to keep submitting my manuscript. My guess is she maybe has limited contacts in my genre since, like I mentioned, it's outside her usual thing. She knew perhaps ONE editor at a publishing house who might take it. And though I gave her ideas for other places to send it, I guess she decided that wasn't something she wanted to keep doing.

I did consider seeking out another agent. I don't know yet what I'm going to do. But I want to thank everyone who has posted and sent me personal notes, too. It means a lot to me. I feel like my chain was royally yanked by this agent, but at the same time I probably should have listened a little harder to my gut. I'll do that going forward.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
UGH. That agent sounds awful!! Zmethos, believe it or not, this sounds liike a bullet dodged for you, because you want someone who is going to stick with you through thick and thin to represent your career.

I actually think you’re in a much better position now, because the MS was only subbed to one editor. That means if you do decide to query, you can mention that you were represented by Agent SoandSo, but the MS was only submitted to one editor before you parted ways amicably. I think most agents won’t be turned off by this, and also you’d get added points for the MS being strong enough to get repped.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's really harsh. I've had issues with agents too. Just keep going. Like others have said, take some time to heal. Hope things work out soon.