• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Blinding the inner editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Having just got over debilitating case of writer's block which had me deleting and editing everthing as soon as I had written it, to the point of totally stalling my progress, I wanted to share my solution. Maybe it can help others :)

My problem was that I'd look at what I'd written so far and despair. I knew in my head this was just the first draft and I can edit later, but couldn't get myself to carry on without trying to fix what I'd put down. After fiddling with it for a while, I'd be too discouraged to write more.

My solution: setting the font to a very light grey colour that's barely discernible on the screen. Now I can't read anymore what I write, and I find this incredibly freeing. The words are pouring out and I'm finally making progress again :hooray:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I commonly alter the font color to signal for me that a given passage needs reworked/edited, and I can easily find it later and fix whatever needs to be fixed. Usually I change things like that to bright red, so they are noticeable, but this is a highly useful trick, and I recommend it.

caw

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea.

I don't get blocked, but I do get frustrated with my own work if I'm in a bad mood, so I love these little mental tricks to get me working again.

Kyanite

Registered
Reaction score
I also highlight font with another color when I know that work is needed on a section. It allows me to keep writing without dwelling on the issue needing more research , fleshing out, or editing. I just get the idea down and keep going.

But, I do also get stuck reading and re-reading what I've written. I like the idea of a font that I can't quite read. Although I cringe to think about how many typos I'd find after changing the color back! Flubby fingers are what get me stuck the most. I stop to fix something silly and forget where I was going.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of a font that I can't quite read. Although I cringe to think about how many typos I'd find after changing the color back! Flubby fingers are what get me stuck the most. I stop to fix something silly and forget where I was going.

Yeah, it's undoubtedly going to be a very rough first draft and I also cringe when I think of what I'll see when I change the colour to black again. It's a desperate measure for when everything else fails :D

Status
Not open for further replies.