Do you know the differences between the marketing categories of fiction?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I see so much confusion over marketing categories vs genre and it positively permeates the internet, with even Literary Fiction being called a genre. Here's a neat infographic by literary agent Carly Watters which should help. It's not perfect as Ms. Watters admits, but it's a useful aid toward understanding the differences between the marketing categories of Commercial (Mainstream) Fiction, Literary Fiction, and Upmarket Fiction.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, it does help to clarify things! I was surprised to see "The Girl on the Train" listed as Upmarket Fiction, though. I found it very genre; but then again the lines are always blurred by personal taste and perspective.

Reactions: capricornair

JSalvatoreDomino

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephdomino.com
Thanks for the link. I have been querying agents with my book as Literary Fiction but now I think Upmarket might be a better fit. It definitely crosses genres. Maybe I will try agents that specialize in Upmarket.

samwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Yay I love seeing these things explained in such a visual manner, these infographics are lovely... however I STILL can't figure out where my most recent manuscript would lie, esp. because I WROTE IT and therefore I see the themes as clear etc while someone who is not me might have a completely different point of view..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa