The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've given up on the idea of not being guessed close to the front. But I love my story. Even if I used the wrong ink on the outline and it keeps growing and growing.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm curious to see who guesses me this year and how quickly. I thought I'd be out fast last year with my story having a title with elves in it, but everyone kept guessing everything but until Richard (I think it was Richard?) took me down. :p

The one person who has read enough of my work that I thought she might possibly recognize my voice (if I even have a voice :Shrug:) has now beta read my Sisyphus too, so she can't guess me! MWAHAHAHA!!!! *is sneaksy*

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, my guessing excerpt doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense out of context either - but then it doesn't have to. All it has to do is give the flavour of the story and maybe make whoever reads it want to read more to find out what the heck is going on. :)

That was very clever getting the person who knows your voice to beta, Efby!

I have no idea if I have a voice. But it also doesn't really matter. I like telling stories, and people who read them seem to enjoy them, and that's good enough for me.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
At least you probably won't be guessed first or second. 'S what I get for having a certain voice. SOMEONE's already told me she's gunning for me, and I'd put money on her getting me, too XD Non-Sisyphus beta readers are dangerous to the guessing thread.

Maybe we should all try to guess Maggie first so the tradition continues :greenie

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can rest assured that I won't guess you Maggie. (because the guessing starts when I'm asleep LOL)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I just want someone to guess me besides that pesky PastyAlien! Ya hear that Pasty?? Get yer slimy probes outta my head, or wherever you stick 'em to get your information!:e2tongue: (LMAO! I was gonna use this one :e2moon: but considering I was talking about probes...)
Did someone call for a probe?

goat1.png

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
:roll:You are seriously twisted!

Heh. You should have seen the gif I was gonna post...

Where did you find a picture of my Uncle Carl? So I guess his whole "alien abduction" story wasn't a delusion after all! Poor sap...
"Poor sap"?? Look at his expression; we couldn't get rid of him.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Really, y'all WILL be racing Sage to me. I figured I might have a chance when she was gonna be away, but with the extension, I have no hope XD

Depending on when Cobra posts, I'll either still be visiting a friend in Scotland or on a train when the guessing starts, so you all have a good chance of guessing Maggie before I get to my hotel on the 13th. Once I get there, though, I'll have nothing to do but play guessinating games. Way more likely you'll guess me first.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
The guessing game is fun. :partyguy: But first, I need to finish and submit my story.

I had a good writing day yesterday. I just wish that meant I wrote good stuff yesterday, but the jury's out on that one! :Shrug:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
At least you probably won't be guessed first or second. 'S what I get for having a certain voice. SOMEONE's already told me she's gunning for me, and I'd put money on her getting me, too XD Non-Sisyphus beta readers are dangerous to the guessing thread.

Maybe we should all try to guess Maggie first so the tradition continues :greenie

No worries, Dear, Sweet Maggie guessed me almost out of the gate last year, so I suspect *I* will be the first or second person guessed, if tradition continues.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
No worries, Dear, Sweet Maggie guessed me almost out of the gate last year, so I suspect *I* will be the first or second person guessed, if tradition continues.

I wasn't PLANNING on gunning for you this year, but darn it, I don't want to be first out again XD But it sounds like I've made myself a target. Sigh.

Cobra, can we make a rule that someone can only guess a person once per set? XD (I'm joking)

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
<looks at manuscript in its current state>
<looks at list of scenes yet to be written>
<does a double-take at today's date!>

Woah, duuude... looks like I really DID need that extension...

<hangs head in shame and tries to figure out what the hell I've been doing for the past two months>

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
<looks at manuscript in its current state>
<looks at list of scenes yet to be written>
<does a double-take at today's date!>

Woah, duuude... looks like I really DID need that extension...

<hangs head in shame and tries to figure out what the hell I've been doing for the past two months>

There's plenty of room to join in the procrastinators circle where we run around screaming with hair on fire that the end is nigh, but still haven't written 1 word this week.

*looks around*

Oh, just me then?

*continues running in panic*

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written, nor edited, a single word this week. At least, not on my Sisyphus story. Seems like every time I sit down to do it, I wind up doing something else.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cobra, can we make a rule that someone can only guess a person once per set? XD (I'm joking)

We sure can. The Guessing Thread is 100% for you all to have fun, so we can add or remove items as you all see fit. Last year we implemented the No-More-Than-5-Guesses per day rule (which, btw, how did that work for everyone?). We can certainly add one that says you can't guess the same person more than twice within those 5 or some such.

What say you, oh wonderful Sisyphus participants?

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the 5 guess per day limit and think only allowing the same person to be guessed twice within those 5 guesses is a great idea.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The 5-per-day rule was PERFECT. It extended the fun. I feel like we peaked after clearing the thread in, like, 24 hours two years ago. I was mostly joking, but I do like the idea of limiting Shotgun Guessing. It'll be more useful in the late game, I think, once there aren't as many people or stories left.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even know about the 5/day rule. Much more likely I'll get to join in the fun now!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The 5-per-day rule was PERFECT. It extended the fun. I feel like we peaked after clearing the thread in, like, 24 hours two years ago. I was mostly joking, but I do like the idea of limiting Shotgun Guessing. It'll be more useful in the late game, I think, once there aren't as many people or stories left.
*agrees*

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
We sure can. The Guessing Thread is 100% for you all to have fun, so we can add or remove items as you all see fit. Last year we implemented the No-More-Than-5-Guesses per day rule (which, btw, how did that work for everyone?). We can certainly add one that says you can't guess the same person more than twice within those 5 or some such.

What say you, oh wonderful Sisyphus participants?

*approves* I APPROVE! :Thumbs: *is in favour of this*

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I thought the whole Shotgun guessing someone thing was fun, but if people actually don't like it, I have no problem with having a limit.