The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You're making me feel like my word count is a lot more manageable, Kjbartolotta :wag: (There was a point where I wondered if I was going to write a novel)

Last edited:

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the time away from the forum helped, did just over 3,000 words on my prompt, :snoopy: but I feel like I've only just gotten started with the story. We'll see where we end up when it all shakes out, hopefully only around 30k or so.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I’m notoriously long-winded and I don’t think this Sisyphus will be any different. Somehow I’ve got to learn to be more succinct.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I’m notoriously long-winded and I don’t think this Sisyphus will be any different. Somehow I’ve got to learn to be more succinct.

As a fan of Epic Fantasy AKA BFF (Big Fat Fantasy) Books I object to authors being overly succinct. I like 200-300k word worlds that also let me kill giant spiders when I see them. :)

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, AW is finally back. It felt like forever, lol.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
As a fan of Epic Fantasy AKA BFF (Big Fat Fantasy) Books I object to authors being overly succinct. I like 200-300k word worlds that also let me kill giant spiders when I see them. :)

:ROFL: That is an EXCELLENT use of a tome of that magnitude.

I STARTED my sisyfus! This is going to be soooo good. I reckon it'll probably end up somewhere between Sage's wordcount and Kjbartolotta's (right now I'm at 1300 words*G*). So I should probably get cracking on it. I won't start panicking until February, though.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I HAVE 3K. I HAVE 3K!! :eek: this is a drill, I don't quite have 3k just yet, but I will, and when I do.... Y'all gonna hear ya'hear?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Folks, I'm really excited about this. And I can't wait to read all your stories! :Bows down:

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
ye gods this is turning into a big doggo.

You have a plot doggo.

I approve of this.

and to get it down under 25k I have to fly breathlessly over a bunch of stuff I would rather take my time with.

So take your time. There is no length requirement for Sisyphus, and by that, I mean literally yours is by far not even the longest story we've had before. We've had people write entire novels here.

Also, you put mine to shame. I only have ~2.5k, but no plot because I have no idea what I'm going to do, so I'm running around in circles with a million different potential plot directions just trying to see which one I like.

I agree with this so much! I would much rather have a tome I can just sink into and where I can just lose myself in all its little niches and corners than a story that is so loose that I feel I've barely even glimpsed the surface of its potential before it's over.

Give me my epic series of epic tomes all the way.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
You have a plot doggo.

I have a something doggo, three-headed with a serpent tail. Actually, I'm really stoked on it, having tons of fun and giving me some great ideas for the future. I'd brag more improprietously, but then I'd give away something. And yeah, I wish I could write or read short stories, but I can't. Give me epic-epicness too.

I was writing another Sekret story that sorta ballooned out of control, had to put that down and now with the editing process on my real prompt it might be hard to get back to.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
3,500 words or so. I predict it will end up about twice that. That's subject to change, though.

This story is getting a bit kitchen sink. It seems to be turning into a shambling hybrid of every show I've binge-watched on Netflix recently. I hope my recipient's comfortable with wanton genre-bending.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I have momentum. There is story, and it is flowing. It'll need a lot of work (and I still have no idea how I'm getting from here to the climax) but, more importantly, I now think it's going to be worth the work. Before I wasn't sure.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've killed giant spiders with books smaller than that. :p (For realz, a big brown spider climbed up on the bed and I beat it to death with [ironically] my mom's hardcover murder mystery book.) I like calling the 200-300k books "desert island" books. If you take them on a desert island, they're long enough to keep you from getting bored until you're rescued, and heavy enough to kill small animals for food. XD

*hugs Sisyphus peeps* It's so good to be back! I made good use of the time off, though. When AW went down, my story was somewhere over 2k. Now I'm at 4,546 words, and I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Not half bad, I think. :)

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This story is getting a bit kitchen sink. It seems to be turning into a shambling hybrid of every show I've binge-watched on Netflix recently. I hope my recipient's comfortable with wanton genre-bending.

I don't know who your giftee is, but I LOVE wanton genre-bending and kitchen sink stories.

I have a something doggo, three-headed with a serpent tail.

You have what I call a plot hydra. Yours just seems to be a plot chimaera Cerberus doggo hydra.

--

All y'all people gettin' massive amounts of writing done while AW was down. All I did was obsessively refresh every writing-related social media platform and forum I'm on and do an occasional word war.

I'm now up to 3k on this piece of chaos that has a setting, two very flat characters, and still has no conflict or plot.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I got a lot written while AW was migrating. Unfortunately none of it was on my SSSFFSS. But once these revisions are done I'll be back at it again.

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website

You're not alone. You guys aren't the only ones writing 200-300k SFF tomes. I'm working on one myself right now. :-D

I used to worry about my love for giant books and my inability to write short stories or standalone novels for years, and then I realized...it doesn't matter.

Tomes are what I read. Tomes are what I love. Tomes are what I want to write.

Believe me, there are other readers like me, and there is a place for them.

Keep writing what you write, y'all.

----

I just hit 3k on my Sisyphus story!

Still have no idea what I'm doing.

I suck at short stories, y'all.

Especially since this one is out of my comfort zone.

Last edited:

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do much on my Sisyphus during the shut-down. I worked on my thesis, trying to finish the data collection before campus opens next week and while I can still use the faculty parking lot. The end of my thesis is in sight--I'm shooting to defend in March. Jury is still out on the Sisyphus. Up to 2200 words on it.

I DID manage to bingewatch the last seasons of Outlander and Peaky Blinders. That's progress, right?

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I’m almost through the first season of Peaky Blinders. I wish I could read, write, and binge watch at the same time.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I see that there aren't many beta readers available. Since I just requested a beta, I think I'll pay it forward and offer to beta too.

I do best with SF and fantasy, usually with teen or tween characters, but adults can be cool too. If you send me graphic sex, I will blush and skim and give you 0 notes on it, so I am not the best beta for that.

I am a very picky and matter-of-fact beta. Don't expect a compliment sandwich from me, but if I compliment you, you'll know I meant it. I'll give you big-picture notes, but I'll also correct your grammar. Being so picky, I might also be a little slow for longer things, just sayin'.

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just realized that I signed up to beta but my name’s not on the list. So I’m available too.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
During the time AW was down, I wrote my entire Sisyphus epic tome 17-book series!

Not really, but it'd be nice. :tongue Actually, I still haven't started writing it yet. But there's plenty of time, as I'm what you might call a binge writer. Huge outputs over the space of a few days, but then nothing much for a long time afterwards. So yeah - all I need is a day or two and the draft will be done. :)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone *waves!*

I didn't do much writing while AW was down (whoops) but I did plan where my story is going. That's something, right?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have, like, a dozen words or so. But I'm working on ideas---I just need to find the right angle.

That's half that battle I think. Finding the right angle. (which I want to say is 90 degrees)

I find a good acute angle to be really helpful myself. Though sometimes things end up being a bit obtuse.

Well, I'm a bit square, myself. But I like to see my story ideas come full circle.

<3 geometry puns

So you like pi?

Only if it increases my circumference. :tongue

My goal is to get into shape this year. So no more pi for me, sadly. Just seems to make me multiply.

Oh. Sorry, didn't mean to be...divisive.

That about sums it up.

At least we got to the root of the problem.

That makes all the difference. Exponentially so.

Arrrrrg, teh puns! They buuuuuuurn! :tongue

But puns are integral to the atmosphere. We're always calculating tangents of this sort.

...just, if anyone ever asks you to integrate their natural log, run in the other direction.

Yeah, the math puns began adding up, didn't they?

Have fun writing, guys! See you Sunday!

Last post? O rly?

My story is a scalar.

It has magnitude, but no direction.

Wow. I step out for a week any you all take this thread on a hilarious...tangent.

*hugs AW* Oh, I've missed you so.

Right. So, Sisyphus. I'm actually done? Not my longest, not my shortest at 4.4k. I'm happy with it. We'll see if beta reader(s) agree.

You're done?!

......wow!

I see that there aren't many beta readers available. Since I just requested a beta, I think I'll pay it forward and offer to beta too.

I do best with SF and fantasy, usually with teen or tween characters, but adults can be cool too. If you send me graphic sex, I will blush and skim and give you 0 notes on it, so I am not the best beta for that.

I am a very picky and matter-of-fact beta. Don't expect a compliment sandwich from me. I'll give you big-picture notes, but I'll also correct your grammar. Being so picky, I might also be a little slow for longer things, just sayin'.

Just realized that I signed up to beta but my name’s not on the list. So I’m available too.

I'll correct the first post so you're both on there as betas. Sorry about missing you, Annie.

Sounds like you all are humming along. Everyone okay? Need anything from the Story Elves?