The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll leave my front door unlocked and get the cream cheese softening. :hi:

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
. You're also welcome to hang and chat if you like, or you can volunteer to beta for people. You're not locked out from participating entirely. :) Welcome!

Sounds great, If anyone would like me to beta I'd be happy to :)

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So is this an open offer or has Kitkit filled the bullying quota? Can we form an unruly mob muse which you occasionally lob a cheesecake into?

Shit, I'm actually in a position where I could do this in person. >_> Don't tempt me, Kate. I will show up for cheesecake.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say that I haven't started writing mine yet, except in my head. The next week is pretty much out because of reviewing duties, so hopefully I'll start next weekend. I have until the end of February after all.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
You have feathers like, feathers scattered on the floor, or feathers like, "I'm turning into a were-chicken and have feathers sprouting out of me"? If the later, my calendar says there isn't another full moon until the 31st. Maybe there's still time to save you. :p

OMG a were-chicken! Thank you EFB - that's just what my story needs!! *back to frantic scribbling*

-_-

*watches plot bunnies devolve into were-chickens*

i hate you so much right now

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is so hard not to talk about my Sisyphus story on twitter. Or here. Or anywhere.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
So is this an open offer or has Kitkit filled the bullying quota? Can we form an unruly mob muse which you occasionally lob a cheesecake into?

Open invite, but all cheesecake must be claimed in person.

Shit, I'm actually in a position where I could do this in person. >_> Don't tempt me, Kate. I will show up for cheesecake.

I guess I should go grocery shopping and actually, y'know, have ingredients on hand. Though you'll have to wait until Monday, 'cause this weekend is going to be about replacing my mailbox.

(Please don't actually show up at my house, anyone. I am a crotchety hermit in meat space. :greenie: )

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Past 18k so far, still got a long way to go. This is going to be longer than a novelette, but not quite a novel in length. If only there were some term for the novella-length piece that I'm writing! Gonna try to make this my last update, since I really wanna talk about it and I'm afraid I'll let something slip. In any case, 18k is more than enough words for light n' breezy fun to turn into keyboard-smashing rage and paralyzing self-doubt. Which is to say things are proceeding normally and better than expected in most cases. Parts are gonna need rewriting, and some of the torturous phrasing is going to have to get bugzapped, but I need to be careful since a second pass runs the risk of making this thing even longer.

Feb 28th can't come soon enough. All you people are amazing.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Gonna try to make this my last update, since I really wanna talk about it and I'm afraid I'll let something slip.

Yeah, not talking about your story is the hardest part of this whole this. You just want to brag or get advice or help or ANYTHING but you CAN'T because you have to stump people on guessing day!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, not talking about your story is the hardest part of this whole this. You just want to brag or get advice or help or ANYTHING but you CAN'T because you have to stump people on guessing day!

Or post lines on twitter. Or talk about the clever thing you did there.

I did ask for advice on twitter for two things that I knew would not affect the guessing game. One got advice, the other was ignored :tongue

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
QFT. There's been at least 5 times now I've wanted to ask advice from the collective intelligence of this thread or the Cantina, but it's all been stuff that could give me away and it's very frustrating.:tongue Thankfully, some of it is researchable, but some of it will just have to wait for the betas to see if they think what I did is working or if it needs tweaking.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, and then there's the problem of needing a beta, but I don't want any of the whats or for whoms to slip.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a beta you wanted to work with, you could probably contact them now, and ask if they'll be available for you. If they say yes, since you know they'll be spoiled anyway, they might be okay with you asking them a brainstormy question or two as you write. I don't want to make promises on behalf of others, but I know I'd be okay with that, if I was the beta that seemed the best fit for your work. Or research is good! *has spent more time researching this story than writing it*

Yeah, and then there's the problem of needing a beta, but I don't want any of the whats or for whoms to slip.

Betas are sworn to secrecy and cannot guess their betees' stories in the guessing game.

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I'm at 5K. Was hoping to finish last week, but, yeah, this:
*has spent more time researching this story than writing it*

Betas are sworn to secrecy and cannot guess their betees' stories in the guessing game.
I'm gonna ask EVERY Sisyphuser to beta, and then NO ONE will be able to guess me. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I can't vouch that the 47 participants who didn't offer to beta will keep the secret :wag:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a beta you wanted to work with, you could probably contact them now, and ask if they'll be available for you. If they say yes, since you know they'll be spoiled anyway, they might be okay with you asking them a brainstormy question or two as you write. I don't want to make promises on behalf of others, but I know I'd be okay with that, if I was the beta that seemed the best fit for your work. Or research is good! *has spent more time researching this story than writing it*

Good to know :)

I suppose ultimately I'm ok with keeping it secret for the time being. Everything seems to be working fine, and my particular issue is both complicated and non-essential. But I have all the listed betas there if I need them, see what Feb brings.

BTW, I had mentioned earlier on I was game to beta, never got put on the list. Was fine with that, since I had realized I was potentially biting off more than I could chew, but right now it looks like I can spare some bandwidth if need be. So let me know. I'm fine with everything, you can give me the most messed-up, twisted story imaginable and I won't bat an eye, or you can give me something nice, sweet, gentle, and positive and I can also roll with it.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I have a draft!

Of course, now I need to make it a real story. That's the hard bit...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Pasty, I'll beta for you, in the way Sage mentions of course. :tongue Woo! I already have 1 point in the guessing thread and it's not even February yet! Bwhahahahahah! :D

Erm, I mean, I'm an honorable and conscientious citizen and can totally be trusted. Mmhmm. :)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Pasty, I'll beta for you, in the way Sage mentions of course. :tongue Woo! I already have 1 point in the guessing thread and it's not even February yet! Bwhahahahahah! :D

Erm, I mean, I'm an honorable and conscientious citizen and can totally be trusted. Mmhmm. :)
suspiciouscat.jpg