The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm thinking about sharing the Pinterest board for my story once I get guessed.

Before everyone goes running to my Pinterest to snoop, I have it set as Secret! Ha!:wag:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to join in an AW game. But it would have to be time flexible (because I'm running 6--yes six--promotional pushes at the moment, part-time job, trying to keep a house at least presentable, writing and some crafting --to keep sane you know).
Also I am a noob at this. Only played a few hours worth of D&D but it really was great fun!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Story sent! Woooo!

I joined a D&D campaign (already in progress) in 1986 and finally left it (still running) in 2007. Man, I miss roleplaying. But I have a great tabletop group I get together with several times a year, which is a better fit, so I survive :)

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Some form of play-by-post would be the most schedule friendly for all, though it would be relatively slow. For sheets, there is Myth-Weavers which has sharable/savable forms for many systems. For live play there is Roll20 (and that could be used asyncronoulsy to track rolls for PBP as well) - that also has character sheet functions and such.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
My story has now been sent in to Cobra. It ended up longer than last year's and the year before's, so bucking that particular trend of mine.

Whether it's anything like what my giftee was expecting, we'll see, but I hope he/she likes it!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
*watches the gaming discussion carefully*

Hey folks, before I run out of time, I wanted to mention that I'm going on vacation tomorrow. No phone, no internet, just me enjoying nature and picking ticks off the dog. Sounds lovely.

BUT, that means I won't have access to my story immediately. So if you are out there, superlative Sekret gifter, and a few days pass after the 19th without receiving thanks from me, please do not worry or wonder what happened. No internet! I expect to get back on the 23rd, doubtful later than that. So expect heaps of praise in your inbox around then, maybe sooner but who knows? Just thought I'd throw that out there ahead of time.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
And my Sisyphus has been mailed off to Cobra.

And now the nerves kick in hoping the recipient will enjoy it as much as I did (now that I'm done writing it ... during the writing, it was questionable just how much I enjoyed it at times).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I know some folks who have been doing game weekends a few times a year and are 18 (?) years into a particular campaign by their DM.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Hey all. Frantically trying to cobble a story together. Eldest daughter and I were out with the flu last week. Didn't start feeling better until Friday.

Looks like lots of fun conversation around gaming.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guuuuuys! Still working on my story, but don't worry, it's gonna get to Cobra on time. *dives back into word doc*

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of us in different time zones, when is the deadline exactly? Cos it's the 19th here tomorrow (well, today now), and I have to work. I wanna know if I've got any more time tomorrow after work to polish my story, because right now it's draftier than a Scottish castle.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Sent!

And, of course, as soon as the email was written, I realised story is terrible. I was happy with it right until I had to press send :p

If I am guessed early, it will be luck. I don't think anyone is really familiar with my style (if I even have a distinctive style) and because I'm not a big chatter on the forums and don't really delve into the guessing thread much, my name doesn't come readily to mind for the random guesses :) Maybe I'll get more into the guessing this year (or maybe, like last year, I'll log on and be intimidated by the fifty million pages that sprung up while I slept :p)

Albedo - I think, based on what Cobra said earlier, you still have about 36 hours. (But up to 48 if he sleeps late on Tuesday?)

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Cobra and I are in the same time zone, which is GMT -4 (making it approx. 10:20am, Sunday March 18 here currently) and that's what I'm counting on. He'll let us know if I'm wrong...

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

:e2poke:

Sorry. Is it Tuesday yet? Is it Tuesday yet? Is it

:poke:

Okay but for real it's like waiting for Christmas to get here all over again. I am a little bit afraid that my giftee is going to weep a little into their morning coffee and possibly not in a good way but at the same time I am way too excited to get my shiny new story. Which means, dear gifter, that if you're still in the trenches trying to dig words out of the mind dirt like wriggly little worms, afraid of sending in the equivalent of a mud pie, don't worry too much. I'm not saying rocks fall from the sky and everyone dies in my story (not saying they don't, either) but if that's where you're at by midnight (or whenever) tomorrow just stamp a smiley face in the middle of the muck and let 'er fly.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

:e2poke:

Sorry. Is it Tuesday yet? Is it Tuesday yet? Is it

:poke:

Okay but for real it's like waiting for Christmas to get here all over again. I am a little bit afraid that my giftee is going to weep a little into their morning coffee and possibly not in a good way but at the same time I am way too excited to get my shiny new story. Which means, dear gifter, that if you're still in the trenches trying to dig words out of the mind dirt like wriggly little worms, afraid of sending in the equivalent of a mud pie, don't worry too much. I'm not saying rocks fall from the sky and everyone dies in my story (not saying they don't, either) but if that's where you're at by midnight (or whenever) tomorrow just stamp a smiley face in the middle of the muck and let 'er fly.

I approve of this idea! :Thumbs:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
!! I WOULD LOVE AN AW D&D GAME SO MUCH !!

I'm only part of one regular game right now and any attempts I've made at joining a second has ended Badly. But you're all super cool people so this should be great!

Also I second the recommendation of Roll20. It's what my group uses and it works really well.

Also also: I'm not sure when I'll get guessed. I don't post much of my writing on here, and I think most people won't have read any of my stuff since last year's swap. That time, I was guessed in sort of the middle-end of the pack. We'll see how this year goes!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well, guys, I think my Discord is as ready as it's gonna be. I've set up a channel for tabletop stuff, so if y'all want to use it for that, it's open. I'll also be using it for my streaming stuff, but no one's obligated to watch me make a fool of myself on video games :p (And if anything is terribly wrong or can be improved on, please let me know. I'm still kinda new to Discord and feeling everything out.)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna finish my story today. I just have to write a transitional scene and the very, very end, then do a quick edit n' proof pass.

:Sun:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
*has a fairly low-key edit day*

*succumbs to the inevitable insecurity that always comes with letting other people read her stuff*

*extra insecure this year for reasons*

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
And that's one more story off to the elves.

:e2thud:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
And that's one more story off to the elves.
The story's a changeling? Or running off to seek adventure? :)

>< This close to The End. I know more or less what needs to happen, just need to get it down. Choir practice first, though.