The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wound up reading my submission twice trying to figure out what 200 to 400 words to put in. I thought about pulling a selection from several different pages, but figured that was not what Cobra actually wanted. But would have been a good representation of my work :roll:

So after all was said and done I threw a dart at it.

And wound up cracking my iPad. But that’s another story.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who could not touch her writing for 2 weeks in February because work was so stressful and long, I empathize, J.A. Rama

As for my excerpts, I chose 3 options for each story, and then let a third party read them in random order and tell me which was better, and also worked as a standalone. 1 was the beginning. 1 was the middle.

ION, I have tomorrow off, so I will have lots of time to read and play.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I'll be coming hot like space junk
Aaaaaand Pasty's mind goes straight to the naughty place. YAY!

I suppose I should send mine in... waiting on one last bit of feedback from my CP... and kind of hedging on the title... Hrm.

Ooh, and I'm so sorry about Sisyphusers who are having the stress! I think we all understand that if real life throws a brick shithouse in your face, Sisyphus takes a backseat. If you can't finish, I don't think anyone would mind if you send in what you've got with an I.O.U. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind. If whoever has my prompt is stressing right now, send what you have and take some time to de-stress. Iow, take care of you, puddin'.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How does that work? Author's choice whether to include or not?

Pretty much. Additional stories tend to be treated like the Gifting Option (i.e. part of the Guessing Thread), but sometimes authors prefer to "formally" submit one with second/third/50th stories as just extra special bonuses for lucky giftees.

A couple more stories have come in, but I'm only just now getting home. So don't panic if I don't respond before tomorrow morning (Eastern, USA, Earth).

Oh, and Richard's thing was 100% Cobra Error. Seems I saved the story, marked my spreadsheet, then forgot to hit "send". It's been a long day, so sorry about that.

Also, Pasty, you've convinced me the world now deserves a smexy-times space romance titled "Space Junk".

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Ditto to what Ari and Pasty said. We're all a good group here and I think many of us are having a similar brick to the face in 2018. *shakes fist at 2018*

Do what you can, and know your giftee will love you anyway because no matter the angst, the gnashing of teeth, the hot space junk (thanks Pasty for that visual...thanks), the omergawd no one will like this feelings you should not be having because we will all love it (where's Dammy when I need him to say this with his happy bunny beat down, eh?)....REMEMBER, you are doing this for your giftee. Which is pretty darn cool. We are all awesome Sisyphusers, even if the rock did come rolling back down and splat us multiple times. :greenie

To Marlys, I see you being tricksy regarding your excerpt explanation. And Ari, lies. All lies. I'm sure your stuff is fabulous.

*spreads glitter like butter all over the thread. Because all Winks has is butter until she gets her scythe back. And Pasty, keep your evil thoughts inside*

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just gonna go sit over here in the naughty chair.

I think Catherine the Great had one of those.

ALSO I'M DONE PEOPLE! Sent to Cobra with much fanfare and celebration on my part, nevermind that my final action sequence hinges on a Conveniently Located Broom Closet. :snoopy:

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, it wouldn't be as good if it had been an inconveniently placed broom closet.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I've already read that one. Spoiler alert: There was a probe involved. :)

In other news, add me to the list of people who have forgotten what their prompt was. Ooooh... I think it just came back to me... Something about the end of the world... Hmm. Okay, never mind. :)

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excerpt and story partial sent. Whew.

The excerpt is the opening. No fancy footwork to keep from getting guessed. I can feel the gritty glitter breath of a certain someone breathing down my neck already. If I had a neck.......

ETA: The save time for my file was 11:59pm Cobra time. :roll:Talk about under the wire.

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand since I wrote my post up above, shit just spiraled down into the toilet. I don't want to say what happened, but suffice it to say I am now enraged and super stressed out/anxious because I can't do anything about it until tomorrow.

Now I'm staring at the screen in a slow panic, because all my enthusiasm has been blocked.

I wish I could punch incompetence in the face and just get this shit resolved NOW so that I can get back to writing.

*rages*

Stress management in the face of writing that needs doing has been one of my major life lessons in progress lately. If you can take 5-15 minutes, find a good guided meditation track online and put the effort into cooling down that might help you unwind enough to push through. I'll rep you with a link to some I use.

###

And I've submitted. Only took one extra cup of tea.

This was a real challenging prompt. I believe I've been able to rise to it but I won't say with any certainty that I'm done with this story. It is, however, "feature complete" as they say in software development, and I actually got in a comprehensive editing pass for the first time in Sissyfus history and it's the longest piece I've submitted for Sissyfus AND I navigated through some wicked anxiety spikes which would have blocked me in the past. Yay for personal growth. I've also got a universe on my hands that warrants further exploration...after I trunk it for a while to recover and put some time on my other projects.

So kudos to you, Giftee, for the prompt, which has so many moving parts when you break it down. You made me really sweat this one, in a good way...and not the sort that Paddy and Winks are going on about. Obviously I hope you like it but whatever you think, I had an adventure.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Calculating what time we're getting our stories ACST is beyond me. We're like 13 7/8 hours behind you next Wednesday. Maybe I'll get it last night.