The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
After guessing is all done, can we find:mob the generous nutso gifter with the most extra submissions and crown her/im :e2crown: beloved forever and also supreme jumbler of the guessing thread? :Trophy:

Sounds good to me!

I third this quest to find the Generous Nutso!

Count me in!

From the sheer number of extra stories written, I reckon there'll probably be a few nuts vying for the crown. *g* But the insane story writer should totally be pelted with flowers... or nuts. :greenie

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am the lucky recipient of a second Sisyphus story! AND I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Thank you, thank you, thank you to my unexpected gifter!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to guess at who wrote the most extra stories.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Yeah. We have some really evil masters of misdirection here. It's not easy to tell, because you can't really trust anything anyone says here - all clues here are basically useless.

The Guessing Thread will reveal all. >:-D

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I reckon I'll just throw darts until Cobra crosses a name off the list as being guessed. :) I DO have a spreadsheet for the guessing, so I'm sure that'll help.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. We have some really evil masters of misdirection here. It's not easy to tell, because you can't really trust anything anyone says here - all clues here are basically useless.

The Guessing Thread will reveal all. >:-D

*assumes J.A. Rama was misdirecting with "all-nighter" and is the master gifter*

"assumes J.A. Rama is misdirecting with this post warning about misdirection*

*is confused by paradox*

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
And I would think it's entirely possible that some people didn't utter one little peep about even intending to write extra stories.

So it will be very interesting to see who wrote extra stories, as well as who wrote the most extra stories.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
*assumes J.A. Rama was misdirecting with "all-nighter" and is the master gifter*

*is confused by paradox*

If there's anyone here who'd be the master of misdirection among us, it's JA. She's a being of pure damn chaos, I tell you. Pure chaos.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
But the insane story writer should totally be pelted with flowers... or nuts. :greenie

Well we are squirrels, after all.

Yeah, I reckon I'll just throw darts until Cobra crosses a name off the list as being guessed. :) I DO have a spreadsheet for the guessing, so I'm sure that'll help.

The mere existence of a spreadsheet increases your guessing accuracy by at least 10%, 12% if the document is open while you throw your darts.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I'll probably not get to play in the Guessing thread tomorrow. Even if it were the 57 original stories only, I wouldn't have enough time to read all the excerpts and guess them during my half-hour lunch, and it seems unlikely that I'll get to leave work early enough to sit down and go through it before chorus rehearsal, which goes until 10 p.m. So, yeah, not going to have much time until Thursday after work.

ION, I just remembered that Cobra said that not all stories had an excerpt to go into the Guessing Game. So we might not be able to see the master gifter by the number of excerpts in the game.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
The mere existence of a spreadsheet increases your guessing accuracy by at least 10%, 12% if the document is open while you throw your darts.

I always have the spreadsheet open when it needs to be referred to. (retired bookkeeper - spreadsheets are in my blood)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I'll probably not get to play in the Guessing thread tomorrow. Even if it were the 57 original stories only, I wouldn't have enough time to read all the excerpts and guess them during my half-hour lunch, and it seems unlikely that I'll get to leave work early enough to sit down and go through it before chorus rehearsal, which goes until 10 p.m. So, yeah, not going to have much time until Thursday after work.

ION, I just remembered that Cobra said that not all stories had an excerpt to go into the Guessing Game. So we might not be able to see the master gifter by the number of excerpts in the game.

But at least you know that with the restrictions on guessing that were put in place last year, at least there will still be plenty of guessing to happen when you finally get to fling some darts.

And that is true that not all extra stories will show in the guessing thread. So I guess Cobra will be the grand pronouncer of who the nuttiest gifter was. :)

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
If there's anyone here who'd be the master of misdirection among us, it's JA. She's a being of pure damn chaos, I tell you. Pure chaos.

It is a fact well known that my DND alignment is chaotic evil. I'm not even kidding.

*is confused by paradox*

Silly human. You haven't even scratched the surface.

It's red herrings all the way down.

The key is not to get mired in paradox, but to question how much energy somebody would put into lying, through omission, silence, or misdirection, and how likely it is for each level of lying that somebody with that profile actually exists.

I admit, I am diabolical.

If I am not the mystery gifter though, would I really be analyzing the situation much, or would I simply blend into the crowd and echo what everyone says?

If I am the mystery gifter, how would I know so much about the probable behavior of a mystery gifter?

vizzini%20morons.gif

And I would think it's entirely possible that some people didn't utter one little peep about even intending to write extra stories.

So it will be very interesting to see who wrote extra stories, as well as who wrote the most extra stories.

That is quite likely - a mystery gifter would most likely be too busy writing to be able to post much here.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG SSQQQQUUUEEEE! I got a second gift Thank you! I will read it soon! Thank You gifter!

I just saw it as I was popping back in to mail!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I received a second gift too. It's amazing how people can approach the same prompt and get so completely different, yet both fantastic, stories.

Thank you second gifter! Love your story too.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh. I got up to get a drink of water and looked at my email and I had another story about cake! Yay! It's perfect too!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Just dropped in on my way to bed to say my gift is AWESOME.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

I couldn't have asked for anything more perfectly what I needed right at this moment in time, and it just absolutely picked my heart up. I RL-LOL'd several times, and when I re-read it tomorrow I'm sure I will again. So much :heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you so very much, gifter, for the superfantabulous story!

...aaaand I see I have a SECOND story waiting for me. W000T! Will read it now in mah comfy bed. :)

Much thanks to Cobra for once again running all this. Some day I'll mee you in person and I'll owe you an entire coffee shop's worth of coffee :)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have a second story also! A very different take on the prompt, and I love them both. And love getting to see the different takes that can branch from the same seed.

Thank you bonus gifter!