The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I got back to work and got treated to a doom-and-gloom lecture about my new position (that I was already nervous about), so I'm enjoying all the celebrating going on in here.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I struggled and struggled with my title and was just about to send it out with some generic "XXXX Story" title when lightning struck my brain.

(I know, sounds painful...)

Now I like my title so much I feel like I owe it a better story.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of us in different time zones, when is the deadline exactly? Cos it's the 19th here tomorrow (well, today now), and I have to work. I wanna know if I've got any more time tomorrow after work to polish my story, because right now it's draftier than a Scottish castle.

The deadline is loosey-goosey, but ballpark is around midnight East Coast, USA. For those still hammering away, that's midnight my-time tonight.

Just an FYI.

You know, we've been doing this for a number of years now, and I don't think anyone has been less than completely ecstatic for their gifted story. It's such a remarkable thing to know that someone put their time, effort, and creative energies toward something just for you, and it's amazing, and all your stories will be amazing. And yeah, we're all angsting anyway because Insanity of Writers, but one of the things that makes this event so worthwhile is everyone who participates in it and the big, collective, wonderful community that springs up and carries forth from this every year, and that totally includes YOU, worrying person.

Have some tea, sit back for the guessing frenzy, and try not to stress any more than absolutely necessary. It really is All Good. :)

This.

and if you don't hear from your giftee... let me and/or Cobra know privately?

Also this.

So ... the Summer Solstice* is a thing that happens. :evil /subtleasasledgehammer

(*Winter for our friends in the southern hemisphere)

Very, very true. We can certainly discuss that option. Ya' know, once the dust settles on this one, of course.

Emoticon: Winking Face

Okay, I have responded to all submitted stories thus far. If you have not heard from me via e-mail, please let me know!

I'll put up another post in a few minutes to give everyone a synopsis of what happens beginning tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray: Can't believe it's taken me this long to get to the "bouncing in anticipation" phase! Not just for my own story gift, but for all the excerpts and new stories to request!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm comin' in hot! After writing this story in a completely bass-ackwards fashion, I've got one more scene to go! Woooo!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note to my giftee,

I've had another project dropped in my lap last night. Thankfully it will be short lived but I've got to get on it ASAP. Thankfully, I'm off tomorrow so I can get some important segments finished tomorrow.
I PROMISE that I will read it, maybe not in its entirety tomorrow but as soon as I can.

And yes I am excited to get a story from someone here on the forum, no matter the length or skill level. Can't wait to read it! Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Happens Next:

Since we have a handful of new folks, I wanted to socialize the process of What Happens Next starting at midnight my time (Eastern, USA, Earth) to help set everyone's expectations, etc.

1) Tomorrow Morning (Tuesday, Eastern, USA, Earth), I'll get up, pound coffee, get a second cup, then do a final check of all e-mails/submitted stories to make sure I didn't miss anyone.

2) Once confirmed and properly caffeinated, I'll begin sending out the stories using the same e-mail used to send you your prompt. Getting stories to everyone is the top priority and it'll take a while to submit nearly 100 of them*.

3) After the last story is sent out, I'll put together the opening post for the Guessing Thread. Due to the number of stories this year (many), it'll take a good long while to get all the excerpts posted and linked to the opening post. I'll repeat this in the Opening Post, but please hold off on making guesses until I give everyone the green light in this thread.

4) Guessing happens. Rules around this will be in the Opening Post. Feel free to check out the Guessing Thread from last year to brush up if you like. Format will remain almost exactly the same. Password to access the SYW sub-forum (where the Guessing Thread hides) is "vista".

5) PER RULE #10: PLEASE THANK YOUR GIFTER. 99.9% of folks are good about this, but I want to repeat it here. Your gifter just spent the last 3 months or so writing a story specifically for you. We all fret over the length, quality, etc, so thanking them, whether open or private, is courteous, respectful, and professional. These are the hallmarks of Sisyphusers.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Countdown to the gifting e-mails has begun, team!

*Yes, over 100. We had a number of folks write more than one because you people are writing MACHINES! Granted, there are only 50+ participants, but it'll take time to ensure each e-mail contains the right number of stories for that person. Check and double check and all that.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent in my story! I hope my giftee likes it, things didn't come together until a few days ago but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. More time is always good, but it would just be hem-hawing over word choice and grammar at this point.

And if there's any blatant typos or nonsensical jibberish that was Hoplittle's contribution when I was refilling my coffee (FYI Hoplittle is my toddler daugther).

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
*Yes, over 100. We had a number of folks write more than one because you people are writing MACHINES!
I was wondering about that -- twice as many stories as writers, wow!

And if there's any blatant typos or nonsensical jibberish that was Hoplittle's contribution when I was refilling my coffee (FYI Hoplittle is my toddler daugther).
:roll: She's learning young!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'll be coming hot like space junk burning through the atmosphere tonight, CM. My apologies in advance for being so last minute. Also apologies to my giftee.

I spent most of yesterday debating whether I should just give up on writing forever because life just keeps junk punching me.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be coming hot like space junk burning through the atmosphere tonight, CM. My apologies in advance for being so last minute. Also apologies to my giftee.

Hey, now. Don't forget:

What the Sisyphus is not:

1) Stressful: This ain’t NaNo nor your publisher’s deadline.
2) Lonely: We’re a family here. We lean on each other.
3) Judgmental: Genre, word count, and typos don’t matter here.

I spent most of yesterday debating whether I should just give up on writing forever because life just keeps junk punching me.

1) Having been on the receiving end of your stories in the past, I hope you don't.
2) Junk Punching is the name of my next band.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Junk Punching is the title of next year's Sisyphus. Sorry future!giftee, I don't make the rules.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
You're going to assign me your own prompt in December, aren't you?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're going to assign me your own prompt in December, aren't you?

giphy.gif

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*Yes, over 100. We had a number of folks write more than one because you people are writing MACHINES! Granted, there are only 50+ participants, but it'll take time to ensure each e-mail contains the right number of stories for that person. Check and double check and all that.
*spits water* OVER 100?!?!?! Well, there goes my (admittedly not that helpful in the first place) system for the guessing thread. :p Let the random guessination commence!

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd consider Hoplittle additions a bonus. :greenie

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
*spits water* OVER 100?!?!?! Well, there goes my (admittedly not that helpful in the first place) system for the guessing thread. :p Let the random guessination commence!

Holy moly! I knew some folks were talking about writing extras, but I never expected that many!

... I likes. :D

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued about the distribution of stories. I don't expect to get an extra one myself, as I feel like my prompt this year isn't necessarily one that would jump out and grab people (although you never know), but I'm curious to see if people wrote from lots of different ones, or if there were a couple that really snatched people by the imagination and hollered "WRITE ME!"

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's a pretty wide distribution. There were a lot of really awesome prompts, and everyone has different tastes. Plus, if the bulk is coming from a few people who are particularly prolific, it's unlikely they'd write multiple stories to one prompt, so it would be spread out over a wider range just due to that.

I can't wait to read the guessing thread!