The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
There's cake? Someone told me there would be cake. Happy Birthday Cobra!

Lifelong, dyed in the green Slytherin here. At least I was until I had kids, and now apparently I'm a Ravenclaw. I thought they'd depleted my mental faculties. Oh no. Apparently "making coffee" is really just ambition.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
On my own, I'm not that big a fan of HP, but I can fandrool with others.

I never took the Pottermore test. I just declared myself a Slytherin because I know I am.

I used to think I was a Ravenclaw, but honestly, I don't usually seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; rather, there is always a reason I want to know, because I Have Something I Want To Do, even if it's as simple as writing a short story or researching a topic so I can write software to automate a process. Call all that ambition of you want. I call it Getting Things Dome and Optimizing How Things Get Done.

Similarly, I do value friendship, which is a thing often overlooked - but I'm not above calling ANYONE'S bullshit, no matter how close I am to them; I can be VERY loyal, but betray me or break my trust and I neither forgive not forget; accept me, be honest and don't bullshit me, and don't judge me, and we'll probably be friends forever.

In that vein, I can be brave too - I just usually pick my fights very carefully, and if there is a simple, quiet solution that will get it done better than me whipping my wand out in people's faces while yelling, like informing the collect authorities, or taking the parties aside and talking to them separately, then I will do that.

Lastly, I don't seek power over others for the same of it. I think the view of Slytherin presented in the books is reductionist. Nothing makes me wince and cringe so much as that scene where Slytherin House is basically judged as a whole during the War of Hogwarts, as basically locked in the dungeon, even though it's largely the crimes of the previous generations, and the actions of a vocal few, like Malfoy, who are giving them a bad name. I mean, if I had been in Harry Potter then...I don't know if I WOULD have said something. I was an insecure teenager. It takes a deal of courage to stand up to your enemies when all your friends are doing it and the world applauds you - it takes a deal more to do it when you're scared yourself and you're afraid your friends or your House will murder you for doing what's right.

Sometimes bravery comes only later on in life.

Honestly, I feel like the definitions for the houses are a bit simplistic. Taken with JKR's spin, they already sound like one house is Good, one house is Evil, one house is Judgemental, and the other house is Full of Fools.

Let's just say that there are a lot of things about HP that annoy me because they make no sense.

So I should clarify: a lot of the Harry Potter stuff I say is actually me rewriting my own headcanon to actually delve into the implications of these definitions, as really think about both the dark sides, the light sides, and the gray sides of these profiles, because I Disagree.

In addition, I tend to skew towards the Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality view of things, as opposed to strict canon, because HPMOR actually makes sense. (If you haven't read it, go read it! The fic is complete now, and it's SO EPIC! HPMOR)

I actually have my own Twitter hashtag called #Murderwarts (click on Latest and start reading from the bottom), where Gryffindor murders someone with a shovel, and I tweet a bunch of random shit exploring the dark, altruistic, rational, and irrational behaviors of each House.

Maxwell really is a Hufflepuff though. Looks like a cinnamon roll. Really is a cinnamon roll.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question: where/when does guessination start? I hope I didn't miss the beginning ><
I thiiiiink Cobra was waiting for one story before posting excerpts. The thread will be in SFF Share Your Work when it pops up, but it will take him a while to get everything posted. (And he'll keep us updated in this thread.)

ETA: What the goat with speedy and grabby hooves said. :greenie

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Cobra!:partyguy::Hail: I hope it's your best ever (and you don't end up bald from trying to get all the excerpts into the guessing thread)!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding folks!

I'm really excited about guessing. I'm trying the spreadsheet thing this year. We'll see if I stick to updating it heh

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, cobras have HAIR?? :Jaw:

Well, if you look at his avvie, he's got hair. See, I reckon the cobra part is from the waist down, cause otherwise it'd be really hard to do all that he does to corral the loonies who participate in sisyfus.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you look at his avvie, he's got hair. See, I reckon the cobra part is from the waist down, cause otherwise it'd be really hard to do all that he does to corral the loonies who participate in sisyfus.
<nods> There is logic in what you say (though the waist down cobra part is unsettling)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I realized, just before falling asleep last night, that if anyone went to my Camp profile, there was a dead giveaway that would make guessing a story I wrote as mine easy as pie (assuming that story makes it into the guessing thread). So I removed the incriminating evidence this morning. Phew! I doubt anyone would be looking at my Camp info, but better safe than sorry.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of happy there's a bit of a delay with the guessing thread. I've got to be out for most of the morning and now, with the guessing thread not up yet, I won't miss anything (well, I probably will because it'll likely go up when I'm sleeping, but still...).

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you awesome gifter and bonus-gifter for my stories! They had ALL THE FEELZ

They're so...
9armBQa.gif

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
It's still Wednesday in my timezone for a couple more hours, so happy birthday, Cobra!

(Two years ago, I received my gifter's story while on Australian Central Daylight Savings Time, i.e. ten and a half hours ahead of my usual time zone. I was in Adelaide for the week.)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
If you feel like you’re being stalked or followed over the next few days, you’re probably right.
I can say with 100% confidence that I haven't said a single thing about my story anywhere on any of my social medias. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Kate879

Registered
Reaction score
Backlogging here..

1. Happy Birthday, Cobra! Hope it was a good one!

2. I'm really uncertain of my Hogwarts House, haha. I'd say Hufflepuff, because I really value friendship and loyalty but I took the offiical pottermore quiz and I got Ravenclaw. Which, I can see why as I am innately curious and do love researching and learning about things. So, I suppose I'm a fusion of the two.

3. I finally read my extra story and it was great! I loved it a lot :D

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Happy Birthday, Cobra!! :partyguy:

I don't even know where to start guessing with 120+ stories. Looking forward to the attempt, though.

Well, see, you take a dart, cross your eyes to the left and then...

Thanks for responding folks!

I'm really excited about guessing. I'm trying the spreadsheet thing this year. We'll see if I stick to updating it heh

120+ stories + spreadsheet = :roll:

I can't wait for the guessing to commence though. I want to read the excerpts. And cackle like mad at the guessing. We'll see if I last an hour this year. :p